• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double dose.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always the (x) factor and murphy's law to contend with. Only a fool purposely tries to overload a muzzleloader. IMHO
I guess I'm the only one that looks at the ramrod after loading. I know how much of the rod should be left out of the barrel after loading. That tells me the ball is all the way down,forgot powder , forgot the ball,and may have over done it. I use to have a mark on the rod that i would look at after loading, that told me it was ok to shoot.

I guess I'm the only one that looks at the ramrod after loading. I know how much of the rod should be left out of the barrel after loading. That tells me the ball is all the way down,forgot powder , forgot the ball,and may have over done it. I use to have a mark on the rod that i would look at after loading, that told me it was ok to shoot.
You are not the only one who does that. I have rifles with 24", 28", 32" and 33.5" barrels so my range rod has four color coded marks on it. I always check the mark after ramming the ball. It's just extra insurance that everything is good to go before stepping to the firing line.

It was clearly stated in TC loading manual back in the 1970s .50 had to have 2F and 16 bore and above 1F
I don’t think magnum charges do you or your gun any service, but top charges were between 90 and 110 grains.
Other companies at the time followed suit.
Dixie's instructions with my .50 Tennessee Mountain Rifle in 1980 said "Maximum charge is 70 grains of FFg black powder. Do not exceed." Gave me a chuckle. But after trying heavier loads, I settled on 70 grains of FFFg as my standard load with a PRB.

Back