• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve P

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a set of bouble barrel that are percussion and was wondering about conversion to flint. What do I need to look for as to whether I can make these barrels work? They are older, we are esitmating late 1800's. I will be restocking so fitting in existing mortise will not be an issue.

Any real life experience or input would be great.

Thanks

Steve Pletcher

Welcome to the forum Steve and be sure to stop by the Welcome area to introduce yourself so the others will know who they are talking to... but in answer to your question, I have not tried it myself but I would guess that you may have to totally rebreach the barrels to do it properly. Changing flint to percussion would be a fairly simple matter of drilling and threading the touch holes and installing a couple of drums. Since the nipples are threaded no where near the spot where the touch hole would go, I suppose you could plug them and then drill the new touch holes but it would look rather odd IMMO. ::

LEJ

Is the barrel Damascus?

You will need a right and left flint ignition locks and new breech plugs, I myself would not trust plugging the nipple's holes and redrill the breech for flint, if the plugs were to fail, they could end up in your face...

You should also pose your question in the Builders Bench section, there are many talented gunsmiths there...

You want to find a lock, or an actual size picture of a lock, then see how the pan lines up with the barrel
:m2c:

Back