• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double barrel Volley gun (14 barrels)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I found this picture and haven't found any other information. Maybe somebody else knows something.
12227031_10153614224315351_5399045928454872357_n.jpg

Loading that thing would take some time. Probably need a crew. lol As it fires multiple barrels at once, if it miss-fires a barrel, one could easily miss that. So one would need to check each barrel before reloading. Not like a single barrel musket...you know if it fired or not.

I am guessing the barrels to be smoothbore. Rifle barrels would be kind of silly, just make 7 holes in a single target.

Only useful in a fortified position in most circumstances. Couldn't see that thing traipsed around the countryside.

Probably mainly sat in an armory and never got much use. Training on something like that gets expensive fast. Each time it fires...7 or 14 shots worth of powder and ammo down the drain.

It would suck for the soldiers coming face to face with such a beast...

40+ years ago, I saw a NINE-barrel percussion gun for sale at WAFFEN BENNEWITZ in Kaiserslautern, BRD.
(That firearm was just one of the many weapons there that I couldn't afford, as a 2LT!! = Waffen Bennewitz was the cause of my "being really poor" from buying "hammer" drillings & cape-guns. I always had 2-4 such weapons that I was "paying on".= CHUCKLE.)

When I asked about the weapon, I was told that it was built by a watchmaker from SZ & would fire 9 shots at once or "ripple-fire".
(I don't remember any more about it, except that it looked to be about .35 caliber.)

yours, satx

I just don't get why they would put rifled barrels on such a weapon.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Now a duckfoot style firearm with rifled barrels makes some sense, but not much really.

All you are going to do is shoot 1 fella with a bunch of bullets, if those barrels are properly aligned.

In 1813-14 Joseph G. Chambers of Philadelphia patented a "repeating swivel". The gun had 7 barrels arranged just as with this gun, and was designed as an instrument of war. It was mounted on some US Navy vessels. The gun was a flintlock, with the lock mounted up toward the muzzles, and was loaded with 25 rounds in each barrel. When fired, the lock ignited the first set, but then all the others fired in succession like a roman candle. It fired at least 175 rounds over a period of 30 seconds, or so, and mounted in the top could be pivoted to sweep a deck.

It came pre-loaded, and was returned for reloading once fired, since the loading procedure required a precise technique.

Spence

In the "Sharps" novels by Bernard Cornwell, a seven barrel volley gun is mentioned. I believe it was carried by Sgt. Harper and was made by Manton for shipboard use. It was supposed to have quite a bit of recoil.

Back