• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double Barrel Smoothbore Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Large Size Liege Proofed Double Parrel Percussion Pistol.

liegedbbl.jpg

Approximately .55. Liege proof on barrel. Overall condition is very fine; wood is excellent; brass mountings excellent. 8" barrel; 14" overall.
liegedbblmuz.jpg

liegedbblunder.jpg

Ca. 1840-1850.

This would put a smile on anyone face, at least on the trigger end of it... :haha: :winking:

Looks like it would put a smile on the face of the party looking downbore,if the other party was to say! "SMILE"when You say that,Pardner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif :) :) :)

Except for calibre and quality, that pistol is similar to the "Kit" of the "Buccaneer" Pistol of the 1970's, available in .36 and .45.
: I've had thoughts and even drew up some diagrams for building a double-barreled pistol. I think a double in .45 to .60 would be 'nice' to have. I have a set of short percussion .12 bore barrels that would be perfect - bit heavy, though. HA!- the .44 Casull of yester-year.
Daryl

Big bore rifles and muskets were popular back then, I would think that they would want a pistol in the same caliber, at least I would,,,

Only one size round ball to carry, how economical...

Along with some buckshot to liven things up for 'things that go bump, in the night. The buck ctg. issued had 9 pellets same as the standard 12 bore load, today, yet they were for the .69 musket of the day. Most preferred the buck and ball, though, but there were holdouts for the straight buck load for night duty around a small camp, due to the closer range involved. I would presume they heard a vocal response of shots fired that managed to connect.

What a beautiful little piece! Does anyone know if anyone makes a similar weapon today? Daryl, what's this about a "Buccaneer" kit pistol?

The Buccanear was listed in the second book Lyman brought out about BP shooting. It was in the firearms listing, as a finished pistol and as a Kit I think. Believe the dealer was CVA- not sure on that. Like all CVA stuff, they weren't high quality barrels or locks.
Daryl

Back