• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Double barrel shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RG96

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m looking for a double barrel shotgun, I would prefer a 16 or 20 gauge but I’m open to anything. It doesn’t have to be pretty and I won’t mind doing a little bit of work on it, I just want an affordable shooter.

I’m looking for a double barrel shotgun, I would prefer a 16 or 20 gauge but I’m open to anything. It doesn’t have to be pretty and I won’t mind doing a little bit of work on it, I just want an affordable shooter.
What's your price range?

I would like to keep it about $600 but I would go higher for the right gun
I have a 12 gauge sxs, old CVA (made in Spain) that I've been debating letting go. Did a lot of work on it by removing the bluing and the cheesy scroll work/engraving.

CVA 12 Gauge1.jpg

CVA 12 Gauge2.jpg

Be careful in the search. Most percussion doubles made in the last 50 years or so would be good. Nineteenth Century originals can be good. On the old English guns look for separated ribs on the barrels. The British used soft solder to join them. One good test is to hold the barrel off the stock by the wedge lug and give the barrels a whack with the back of your hand. They should ring like a bell. If not they probably will need re-solder, re-jointing. The old Belgian guns usually will pass the test because they brazed their barrels. How do I know about this? I have had two original British guns re-jointed. The old guns can be fun, but they can turn into a money pit at times.

Be careful in the search. Most percussion doubles made in the last 50 years or so would be good. Nineteenth Century originals can be good. On the old English guns look for separated ribs on the barrels. The British used soft solder to join them. One good test is to hold the barrel off the stock by the wedge lug and give the barrels a whack with the back of your hand. They should ring like a bell. If not they probably will need re-solder, re-jointing. The old Belgian guns usually will pass the test because they brazed their barrels. How do I know about this? I have had two original British guns re-jointed. The old guns can be fun, but they can turn into a money pit at times.
Thanks, that’s one of the things I was worried about but it’s good to know that it’s more of an English problem

jlat,
You're not wrong in your admonition about British barrels, many are nothing but trouble. This one has been checked well as well as having been shot, it's solid.

jlat,
You're not wrong in your admonition about British barrels, many are nothing but trouble. This one has been checked well as well as having been shot, it's solid.
As far as I can tell there was a Westley Richards of London AND a W Richards of Belgium, I believe your gun is from Belgium

That could very well be true, it's not a Westley Richards. That would take away any question of soldered barrels, Belgian barrels were normally brazed.

If you come upon one of the old Navy Arms SxS 12's with the 28" (and some including 14" barrels), they can be a treasure.

What are your thoughts on my Richards, any interest?

I have a Charles Moore double 12 I may consider parting with in that price range.

Back