• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double barrel flint pistol ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be almost unheard of to have a double barrel pistol on the frontier and it's not too likely that an average person eking out a living on the edge of the world would have a pistol, far too many other priorities.

The majority of double-barreled flint pistols seem to have been naval issue. The real late era ones plus the run into the percussion era were often the Howdah type for back up to chasing big kitties. Doubt many made it to the frontier, but you never know!

I can't contribute anything about style or usage, but there are mentions of them in your period in the newspapers of the day.

In a runaway notice:

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
July 6, 1785
... had with him, when he left Bedminster, a double barrel'd pistol, the stock of which is inlaid with silver."

Being advertised for sale:

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
January 5, 1774
....scales and dividers for seamen; blank seals to engrave arms on; exceeding fine Spanish barrel guns; double and single barrel pistols; a beautiful traveling blunderbuss ; swords, with pistols fixed at the hilt; gold scales;"

Spence

I have to go with Hawkeye here - pistols would have been found in the hands of the wealthy & perhaps a well off tavern keeper or merchant. Double barrel flint pistol would be very rare. A pair of pistols much more likely if your character was rich enough to afford them.

I have a double barrel percussion, but never seen one in flint.

HowdahPic1.jpg

old ugly said:
my gear would depict far from affluent. intrigued by it but it would not fit in with my gear. unless my persona was as thief. :hmm:
I was thinking that this morning! :grin: But another option comes to mind. A battlefield scrounger. Plenty an affluent man died in battle just to have lessor men paw over their remains and walk off with their high dollar gear.

I clicked on your link, and the cased pistol set was so beautiful that I had to hunt them down.
www.hallowellco.com/historical_gallery_antiques guns.htm

These pistols are the first photo. Click on "More Photos", and you can discover as much as is known about these fine Joseph Egg coach guns, as well as revel in the beautiful photos. Plus, there are a few more fine guns, including a set of 16 bore Joseph Manton coach pistols.

Bring on the highwaymen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got there by eliminating all but the home site then clicked historical gallery then antique and they popped up on top VERY NICE. Smallest pan ever I did see on that fowler! Ty for the link.

Those small water proof pans with rain gutters were small indeed but quite efficient. You can really see the craftsmanship peaking out in the flintlock line just as percussion was coming in! gorgeous!

The LeMat made me want to cry...I've seen one other that crisp and clean...they only wanted $22,000 for theirs, though it's been a decade!

See if this works any better! http://www.hallowellco.com/historical_gallery_antique guns.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I would go with an over/under revolving barrel pistol with one lock.
It would be much easier to carry in a holster and still give you a second shot.
I have seen rifles in this configuration with two locks.Mike D.

AGREED. - Well into the 19th Century, it was commonplace for a KIA/DOW soldier's goods/personal effects to be auctioned off to the highest bidder in the regiment.

yours, satx

In years gone by, I have seen many double barreled pistols, flint and percussion.
No frontier person would have passed up on the opportunity to arm his self with one of these pistols way back when, if he had the chance.
But also remember these guns were defence firearms.
Not designed for 100 yard shoot outs.
Anybody looking down the barrels of a double .60 pistol, would weigh out their options very quickly.
Fred

Back