• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel, black powder, no markings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The marks are probably to marry a barrel to a lock and stock. The parts were not interchangeable.

Is it possible the Roman numerals represent the guage size of the bores?

XVIIII could be a 19 guage (or .626" diameter).

Speaking of the bore size, not that it will help identify the gun, but I wonder what size are the bores?

If a US dime will fit into them they could be a 12 (or 13) guage.

A US dime is about .705 inches in diameter.
A 13 guage is .710" and a 12 guage is .729" if it isn't choked.

Don't understand the reason for the Roman numerals. The number 19 is more economically written as XIX.

I think it's a hardware store gun, based on looking at locks on another website. The back-action locks showed there had the same notch in the back of the lock, and the info there said back locks were often made for hardware store guns. It also said they were very fast locks.

I think what you have is some old parts from the 1860's or so recycled on a new stock. As such not very valuable. Even if original it would be only worth sentimental or wall hanger value. Maybe $200 (plus or minus) Sorry to be blunt.

It's a dead soldier.
Somebody has destroyed (de-milled) both barrels by drilling through them on the underside of the breech. Other than parts or decoration, this makes the gun virtually worthless.
Need a lamp? :shake:

54ball said:
It's a dead soldier.
Somebody has destroyed (de-milled) both barrels by drilling through them on the underside of the breech. Other than parts or decoration, this makes the gun virtually worthless.
Need a lamp? :shake:

?????

Where so you see the holes? The only ones I see are drilled in an underlug which is somewhere forward of the breech.

If you look at the fourth picture from the left at the bottom of the screen in the link sunch gave, click on it. You will see two fairly large holes drilled into the bottom of each barrel next to the breech plug.

They both look like their plugged with something. I don't know what.

Here's the link sunch gave above
http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/sunshinetlb72/slideshow/

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'Roman Numerals' are what are usually referred to as hash marks & were used by the assemblers to keep the various components matched up during the fitting & assembly stages, as the parts weren't generally interchangeable.

Zonie said:
If you look at the fourth picture from the left at the bottom of the screen in the link sunch gave, click on it. You will see two fairly large holes drilled into the bottom of each barrel next to the breech plug.

They both look like their plugged with something.
Could be wood?

PluggedHoles.jpg

Claude said:
Zonie said:

They both look like their plugged with something.
Could be wood?

PluggedHoles.jpg

It looks like some kind of putty to me.

It also looks like some real proof marks on both barrels just above the lefthand holes. They are hard to distinguish, but that is true of a lot of proof marks.

Latest posts

Back