• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double barrel 16-gauge flintlock shotgun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
While at the Saunder’s Memorial Muzzle shoot, I picked up this flintlock double barrel shotgun. The vendor didn’t know anything about it. When I put it to my shoulder and pointed it several times it seemed like it was made for me. Anyway because I didn’t have a flintlock double, after checking the bores & locks, I took a chance & bought it.

My wife had wandered away, to watch the trap shooting, so I followed her up there with the gun. While we were sitting on a bench inspecting the gun further a fellow who was shooting came over and asked if we were going to shoot. Not having any powder or shot we declined the offer.

After looking at the gun he gave us some information about the gun that was greatly appreciated. He said he knew the maker J.T. Phillips from Conway Arkansas, who was sadly now deceased. He said W.L. Cochran from Tulsa Oklahoma who was also deceased made the locks.

Just wondering if anyone has any more information or comments.

s5emw6.jpg

f239th.jpg

1zldvh2.jpg

In the Nov.-Dec., 1989, issue of Muzzleloader magazine, Bill Scurlock did a very positive review of a double flint shotgun being made by J. T. Phillips of Beede, Arkansas. I had been looking for such a gun in my price range for six years, so I called Mr. Phillips three days later and placed an order for a 20 gauge. There was a pent up demand for such a gun (still is), so I was #9 in line. I got the gun in July of 1990 and have been shooting it a fair amount since. I've worked up a variety of shot loads and a PRB load and been successful with them. I've taken all the small game I normally hunt and also a couple of Javelina in Arizona. The gun is a natural handler for me, light and handy. The Cochran locks are very fast and have been completely dependable for me.

I've been told Mr. Phillips had only made a few guns for himself and his friends when he decided to go public, and found that he wasn't really happy dealing with that public. He stopped making the guns after about a dozen, I think. I found him to be a very pleasant man to deal with, a real gentlemen of the old school. When he found that he would be a little late delivering my gun when he estimated, he offered to ship me one of his personal guns for a trip I was planning. I declined his offer, wouldn't have thought of asking him to do that, but I've never forgotten the gesture.

I've fiddled with the gun a fair amount, so if I can answer any questions about your new gun, fire at will.

Spence

Thanks for the information. I'm even happier about getting the gun now. Sure wish I could have met Mr. Phillips & Cochran. Beebe is about 35 miles from Conway so I'm sure Mr. Phillips is the builder.

I have had the gun apart and checked it all out. It's very light at 6 pounds and a delight to carry. The locks spark like crazy, even with used flints. Both locks are dated 1991 on the left and 1992 on the right and stamped W L Cochran.

8wjw5z.jpg

The barrels were made from a Crescent Firearms double and the left is stamped "Genuine Armory Steel Choke Bored" with the chambers cut off and breech plugs installed. Both bores mike at .650 so they are closer to 17 gauge but my 16 gauge wads & cards fit good.

14tpvg6.jpg

20535vb.jpg

Now all I have to do is work up loads for it.

I have a Cochran flint on a gun---since 1978...Sparks to this day like a champ. MANY 100's rounds thru it, never a problem, you'll like 'em #1....Tom

Our guns look identical. Interesting about your barrels, I have no info on mine. There are no marks of any kind. They are 32" and tapered, and both bores mike at .615", so are cylinder.

My locks are both marked 1989. Yours being marked 1992 makes me suspect the story of Mr. Phillips only building a dozen guns or so is not accurate.

Spence

My barrels are 28 inches so I think the choke may have been removed when the chambers were cut off. While researching the Cochran locks it seems like he made quite a few and sold them to various builders. American Long Rifles has a thread on them.
It looks like parts are still available for them.
Jim Alvey of Texas is the owner of the Cochran line of flintlock and percussion gun locks. Jim has complete locks and parts for sale. Replacement parts include any mainspring, frizzens and other individual parts.
You can reach Jim at 806-874-0891 or contact him by email at lostspur_amaonline.com (replace the underscore with the at symbol).
http://blackpowderweb.com/cochran-gun-locks

So the story about Phillips building only a few guns may still hold true.

Last edited by a moderator:
While doing research on the Cochran locks, I found this on the web. Notice that he mentions the Alvey locks near the end.

"Willie Cochran is a retired machinist in Tulsa, Ok--I used to live near him and built my first rifle and first pistol using his locks.  Back in the 70s-80s he made locks and triggers for other builders as well as building rifles himself. Willie was a member of the local BP shooting club and would show up in fringed buckskins at local rendezvous with his homemade longrifle--it was slim and scaled to his little locks.  Some catalog stores such as Dixie and Log Cabin used to carry his locks & triggers. I first met him at the annual Gilcrease Museum Rendezvous--the Gilcrease is one of the best western art museums in the world.  The buckskinners of his group demonstrated muzzleloading rifle skills behind the museum while Indian dancers entertained in front of the building--imagine actually shooting live rounds on museum grounds in a city [of course the museum occupied a large estate on the edge of town].  He gave up making locks some years back and sold out to a fellow in Texas who marketed them for a while.” And from another responder: “Willie (Wilmer) has been dead for several years & was in his late 90s at death.  If he ever weighed over 110 lbs. it would amaze me.  He was the first person to make true matching right & left hand flintlocks in the 20th century.  His percussion locks matched as well, but were not interchangeable with the flint.  We occasionally would go across town & have him do machine work for us until just before his death.  At the time he retired from North American Aerospace in Tulsa back in the 60s, he machined out his lock prototypes & went to work in the lock business.  He also made fast draw (aluminum framed) colts for blank firing & an exact copy of a S & W model 29, except for the barrel.  I remember, as well, & huge crossbow that he built still hanging on the wall of his shop at the time of his death.  I've had contact with one of the Alvey locks & it was just plain rough & didn't work." Roger B.
Cochran also offered kits for his locks, like this:

Spence

Rebel said:
Nice gun and it seems, a Great wife. :thumbsup:
She is great, wouldn't trade all the tea in China for her. Short story about how great. We stopped by the local pawn shop to see if they had a case for her fly rod. I waited in the car and several minutes later she was at the front window waving for me to come in. This pawn shop is not known for having many guns and never any muzzle loaders except the UN-mentionables.

She met me at the door and said you've got to see the old guns they have including 4 side locks. After looking at them the decision was made to buy a CVA .54 Hawken even though it appeared to have a load in it. See the thread (CVA Hawken for the record books).

Well with her help the asking price of $170 was bargained down to $138. Yep...she's a keeper for sure even if she can out shoot me. I'm afraid to see what she will do with this one, she has never fired a flintlock. :wink:

I also have a Willie Cochran Lock that I bought in 1986 and installed on the only flint lock rifle I ever made. I didn't know Willie all that well but shot in match's in the Tulsa area with him. I saw some rifles he had made for himself once when I went to his home but I'm not sure he made them to sale. I saw some of his machine work and he was quite the expert on lathe and milling work. He showed me a copy of a Colt .45 pistol he had made in it's entirety all but the barrel he told me, great work.Nice man and craftsman and everyone seem to like him. Not big in statue but big in talent.

While at the Saunder’s Memorial Muzzle shoot, I picked up this flintlock double barrel shotgun. The vendor didn’t know anything about it. When I put it to my shoulder and pointed it several times it seemed like it was made for me. Anyway because I didn’t have a flintlock double, after checking the bores & locks, I took a chance & bought it.

I see that Photobucket/tinypic has struck again so I'll put some of the pictures back in.

Phillips flintlock 005.JPG
Phillips flintlock 006.JPG
Phillips flintlock 007.JPG
Phillips flintlock 008.JPG
Phillips flintlock 009.JPG

Phillips flintlock 003.JPG
I'll add more when & if I find them.

Latest posts

Back