Double barrel 16-gauge flintlock shotgun.

Discussion in 'Smoothbore' started by bpd303, Sep 27, 2014.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

While at the Saunder’s Memorial Muzzle shoot, I picked up this flintlock double barrel shotgun. The vendor didn’t know anything about it. When I put it to my shoulder and pointed it several times it seemed like it was made for me. Anyway because I didn’t have a flintlock double, after checking the bores & locks, I took a chance & bought it.

My wife had wandered away, to watch the trap shooting, so I followed her up there with the gun. While we were sitting on a bench inspecting the gun further a fellow who was shooting came over and asked if we were going to shoot. Not having any powder or shot we declined the offer.

After looking at the gun he gave us some information about the gun that was greatly appreciated. He said he knew the maker J.T. Phillips from Conway Arkansas, who was sadly now deceased. He said W.L. Cochran from Tulsa Oklahoma who was also deceased made the locks.

Just wondering if anyone has any more information or comments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RP3543 likes this.
  2. Sep 27, 2014 #2

Rebel

Rebel

Rebel

Cannon MLF Supporter

Nice gun and it seems, a Great wife. :thumbsup:

3. Sep 27, 2014 #3

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

YEP.

yours, satx

4. Sep 28, 2014 #4

Spence10

Spence10

Spence10

Cannon

In the Nov.-Dec., 1989, issue of Muzzleloader magazine, Bill Scurlock did a very positive review of a double flint shotgun being made by J. T. Phillips of Beede, Arkansas. I had been looking for such a gun in my price range for six years, so I called Mr. Phillips three days later and placed an order for a 20 gauge. There was a pent up demand for such a gun (still is), so I was #9 in line. I got the gun in July of 1990 and have been shooting it a fair amount since. I've worked up a variety of shot loads and a PRB load and been successful with them. I've taken all the small game I normally hunt and also a couple of Javelina in Arizona. The gun is a natural handler for me, light and handy. The Cochran locks are very fast and have been completely dependable for me.

I've been told Mr. Phillips had only made a few guns for himself and his friends when he decided to go public, and found that he wasn't really happy dealing with that public. He stopped making the guns after about a dozen, I think. I found him to be a very pleasant man to deal with, a real gentlemen of the old school. When he found that he would be a little late delivering my gun when he estimated, he offered to ship me one of his personal guns for a trip I was planning. I declined his offer, wouldn't have thought of asking him to do that, but I've never forgotten the gesture.

I've fiddled with the gun a fair amount, so if I can answer any questions about your new gun, fire at will.

Spence

robinsroost likes this.
  5. Sep 28, 2014 #5

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Thanks for the information. I'm even happier about getting the gun now. Sure wish I could have met Mr. Phillips & Cochran. Beebe is about 35 miles from Conway so I'm sure Mr. Phillips is the builder.

I have had the gun apart and checked it all out. It's very light at 6 pounds and a delight to carry. The locks spark like crazy, even with used flints. Both locks are dated 1991 on the left and 1992 on the right and stamped W L Cochran.

[​IMG]

The barrels were made from a Crescent Firearms double and the left is stamped "Genuine Armory Steel Choke Bored" with the chambers cut off and breech plugs installed. Both bores mike at .650 so they are closer to 17 gauge but my 16 gauge wads & cards fit good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all I have to do is work up loads for it.

6. Sep 28, 2014 #6

gunmaker43

gunmaker43

gunmaker43

45 Cal.

I have a Cochran flint on a gun---since 1978...Sparks to this day like a champ. MANY 100's rounds thru it, never a problem, you'll like 'em #1....Tom

7. Sep 28, 2014 #7

Spence10

Spence10

Spence10

Cannon

Our guns look identical. Interesting about your barrels, I have no info on mine. There are no marks of any kind. They are 32" and tapered, and both bores mike at .615", so are cylinder.

My locks are both marked 1989. Yours being marked 1992 makes me suspect the story of Mr. Phillips only building a dozen guns or so is not accurate.

Spence

8. Sep 28, 2014 #8

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

My barrels are 28 inches so I think the choke may have been removed when the chambers were cut off. While researching the Cochran locks it seems like he made quite a few and sold them to various builders. American Long Rifles has a thread on them.
    It looks like parts are still available for them.
    http://blackpowderweb.com/cochran-gun-locks

So the story about Phillips building only a few guns may still hold true.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  9. Sep 28, 2014 #9

Spence10

Spence10

Spence10

Cannon

While doing research on the Cochran locks, I found this on the web. Notice that he mentions the Alvey locks near the end.

Cochran also offered kits for his locks, like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spence

10. Sep 28, 2014 #10

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

She is great, wouldn't trade all the tea in China for her. Short story about how great. We stopped by the local pawn shop to see if they had a case for her fly rod. I waited in the car and several minutes later she was at the front window waving for me to come in. This pawn shop is not known for having many guns and never any muzzle loaders except the UN-mentionables.

She met me at the door and said you've got to see the old guns they have including 4 side locks. After looking at them the decision was made to buy a CVA .54 Hawken even though it appeared to have a load in it. See the thread (CVA Hawken for the record books).

Well with her help the asking price of $170 was bargained down to $138. Yep...she's a keeper for sure even if she can out shoot me. I'm afraid to see what she will do with this one, she has never fired a flintlock. :wink:

11. Mar 30, 2019 #11

stank

stank

stank

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Does anyone know if Mr. Cochran built any double flint 12 gauges?

12. Mar 30, 2019 #12

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

40 cal - b

He made locks, not guns.

13. Mar 30, 2019 #13

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.

Real nice shotgun, Sir.

14. Mar 31, 2019 #14

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

40 cal - b

You guys realize this post is 4 1/2 years old, right?

15. Mar 31, 2019 #15

8 BORE

8 BORE

8 BORE

50 Cal.

Rod Gates in Cross Timbers.MO
    Builds double flints. Look in Muzzle Blasts under Field Reps.

16. Mar 31, 2019 #16

8 BORE

8 BORE

8 BORE

50 Cal.

They will read it anyways

17. Mar 31, 2019 #17

Larry P

Larry P

Larry P

Pilgrim

I also have a Willie Cochran Lock that I bought in 1986 and installed on the only flint lock rifle I ever made. I didn't know Willie all that well but shot in match's in the Tulsa area with him. I saw some rifles he had made for himself once when I went to his home but I'm not sure he made them to sale. I saw some of his machine work and he was quite the expert on lathe and milling work. He showed me a copy of a Colt .45 pistol he had made in it's entirety all but the barrel he told me, great work.Nice man and craftsman and everyone seem to like him. Not big in statue but big in talent.

18. Apr 1, 2019 #18

bpd303

bpd303

bpd303

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've been remiss in logging in for quite a while. Good to see this is still generating interest. Maybe I'll get the chance to burn some powder and bust some clay birds with her soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted