• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double Balling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When at the range with my “old timey musket loaders” (as some gawkers put it) I try and go at less busy times and always ask for the table farthest away from all the gabbing goons who serve two functions: making as much ear-splitting racket with their short barreled automatic unmentionables and trying to do there best to distract you with all manner of banal and ridiculous conversation.

The patch goes on the second ball. I believe the term "Loaded for Bear" came from this. When smaller deer calibers were used for bear hunting.

When at the range with my “old timey musket loaders” (as some gawkers put it) I try and go at less busy times and always ask for the table farthest away from all the gabbing goons who serve two functions: making as much ear-splitting racket with their short barreled automatic unmentionables and trying to do there best to distract you with all manner of banal and ridiculous conversation.

;
i'm all for experimentation However If you are double balling and your shoulder is not telling you to stop it there must be something wrong.Also I wonder what is happening to your barrel.?
A normal load with a single ball that is not seated more than 6 or 8 inches down the barrel when fired will frequently create a ruinous dent in the bore. It is compression of the steel that in my experience doesn't show on the outside of the barrel makes me wonder what double balling might be do to the internal steel.
I am a bit of a fudd budget about my barrels so maybe it's OK for you bot not for me.
Duch

Side note, when I started shooting black powder back in the 70's. My best friends father had come from Newfoundland. When he saw us loading my 56 caliber smoothbore Renegade, he was amazed we only used one ball.
He also told us the fishing village he grew up in only had one rifle, a 303 british. People took turns using it to hunt moose and caribou.
Ah! The good old days!

Back