• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't Think This Is Going To Work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this from Dennis in the classifieds. This is a cylinder from an ASM .44 I wanted to try for an extra cylinder for my Pietta 1860

I guess I could try it :haha:

P1010030.jpg

"Minor hand fitting required." Haha

At least with that gun, you could have a battlefield pickup look.

Might want to run a feeler guage thru the cylinder gap & do some fitting. It might bind upn after a couple rounds :wink:

Looks almost like a Confederate pistol shown in the book "CONFEDERATE HANDGUNS" except that was styled after an 1851.

I think your problem is that your cylinder is made for one of those .44 caliber 1851's the Italians dreamed up.

See if you can get a cylinder from an 1860 Army.
(Dixie # CY0503).

Hmm, I was not aware that the .44 1851 has a different length cylinder than an 1860.

Maybe you got me because I don't own a .44 cal 1851 any more so I can't measure the cylinder.

I did measure the cylinder of my 1860 Army .44 cal. Uberti recently and it was 1.830" long from the rear of the cylinder adjacent to the nipple pockets to the front face.

My Pietta 1851 .36 cal cylinder measured 1.735" long from the same locations so I was assuming that the .44 caliber rebated 1851 would be of a similar length.

Maybe someone here has a Italian Colt 1851 in .44 caliber and they can measure their cylinder for us?

I just went to my gun safe and pulled mine. It is by Pietta 1851 brass framed .44. I think they call it a 1851 Confederate sheriffs Model. A .44 cal with a brass frame with a 4" barrel. For some reason my wife likes it because it fits her hand so well. Anyway the cylinder on this beauty is 1 7/8" in length. I bought this at a gun show for a "hunert bucks" at a gun show it cam with a complete CVA plastic flip open accessory box.

Oh, I see you have a cylinder for an 1851 Nagant Gas Seal Percussion Revolver which never went into production...

Haha, post that on Gunbroker and see who asks about it.

I learned for sure last week that the 1851 has a shorter cylinder than the 1860. On the 1860 they shortened the forcing cone for the longer cylinder. When they made the .44 1851's, they kept the original dimensions, but just made the barrel and cylinder .44 cal. That's why your cylinder won't fit.

Back