• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Don't overlook Garage Sales (insert smiley face here)...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepster

36 Cl.
Reaction score
You never know what your missing till you stop!

Me & a buddy of mine hit some garage sales today.

Incredible scores!

One sale had about 5 hatchets & hatchet heads (which I'm into).

The guy had a couple of "Plumb" branded hatchet heads ($35/ea).

Then he had one with the original leather mask included (my jaw dropped when I saw it!).

He had never heard of the company.
The name was Norlund!
It didn't have a price, so I inquired to "Asking Price" ...$10!

The 2 1/4# boys Axe head $1
The small Hudson Bay 1 1/4# head $1 (both unmarked).

He also had A CHUNK of old Walnut for $1!
About 3-4" thick.

All pictured $13!
IMG_20200606_134315.jpg

IMG_20200606_134327.jpg

IMG_20200606_134332.jpg

IMG_20200521_170414.jpg

IMG_20200521_170423.jpg

The Norlund hatchet is worth $150-$200...
There's 2 of the same model on a popular auction sight right now...

$275 for one, $300 for the other (both + shipping).:cool:

I may do a WIP on restoring those other 2 heads.
They have a "Ring" to them under a file that just checks all my "Boxes"!:p

$10 @ Local Flea Market today...

Supposed to be a bandsaw.
I only saw a 2x72" belt "Knife Grinder" frame (Eventually). 😎
1HP motor ("supposed to work").

I just wanted the frame for $10.

IMG_20200617_155943.jpg

Emptying out a house or garage can be a daunting task. Taking the time to individually sell so many items that were acquired decades ago can be overwhelming. Often times estates and heirs are just too busy or in a hurry to do it. Estate sale companies are out there. They generally charge between 40% and 60% of the net proceeds, and will work with you on pricing. Companies that are listing agents for e-Bay and the like generally take from 10%-20%. Some people think that's too much, and don't want to pay the fees, but in the end, those are the guys that sell $200 hatchets for $30. The moral of the story is that takes work and smarts to make money, even when the goal is "not losing as much".

I get it if you're a brain surgeon and your hourly billing rate is $5000 an hour that you don't want to take the 40-100 hours it might take to inventory and research a whole house full of stuff (the average house / estate contains over 300,000 items) but full market value vs. garage sale pricing often results in an increased net of between $10,000-$30,000 to estates, or an net hourly benefit (after tax) of between $250 and $300 per hour. Not many of us out there make that sort of after-tax wages, or, make that on a consistent basis.

Great set of scores!

Last edited:
I was able to get that motor working (broken wire).
It is only 1/3hp (misquoted above).
It is 1725rpm so I'm going to make a dual buffer out of it (dual bench mandrel).

I should be able to make a 2x72 knife grinder out of the frame (with a BIGGER MOTOR).:p

So not a bad $10 spent!

IMG_20200619_141821.jpg

I picked up this wool blanket roughly 88x88 today along with the sheepskin hanging to the right today. Now, figuring out what to do with them will be the problem. Suggestions? The blanket is in good condition but somewhat light weight.
1595018285093.jpeg

I wouldn't say absolutely no use Griz, but it may be close. I have already given HB blankets to my daughters that came cheap at an auction or garage sale. Now, I think my wife has been eyeballing the blanket for the end of the bed.