• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DON'T make your own!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like your friend was flat out dangerous to have so much explosives and chemicals in one place. An accident waiting to happen.

I find the idea of burning someones house down because it is an explosive "hazard" troubling.

What of the many people that store cans of black powder, smokeless powder, caps, primers, etc, and have things like gasoline, oxy-acetylene welding tanks, propane cylinders, solvents like acetone and paint thinner etc in their garage, workshop or on the patio?

Percussion caps, primers,"strike anywhere" matches and even roll or plastic caps for kids cap guns are considered "contact" explosives.

I wonder how much longer us children are going to be allowed to play with such dangerous things?
Exactly. That is exactly how the haves view us; just like the children we were when we were obligated to attend 'public' schools. Our lives have been orchestrated and the peoples' independence, freedom and self reliance are the enemy of a powerful, self righteous government.

I think Zonie is correct on the forbidden topic. It should not be construed that it is ok to post recipes for such behavior on here. First its illegal and we dont want any Governing bodies thinking that we are promoting illegal activities on here.
We are having a tough time enough keeping our beloved hobby alive as it is.
SM

As far as BP, it is not illegal, but why take the risk when you can spend 5 minutes and less money ordering it to your door?

That said, it is a skill worth knowing, but not worth practicing at this point

As far as BP, it is not illegal, but why take the risk when you can spend 5 minutes and less money ordering it to your door?

That said, it is a skill worth knowing, but not worth practicing at this point
Not true, you can make powder, a whole lot of it, for very cheap. 25lbs for around $60 if i remember my last batch. I do need better charcoal however.

I think Zonie is correct on the forbidden topic. It should not be construed that it is ok to post recipes for such behavior on here. First its illegal and we dont want any Governing bodies thinking that we are promoting illegal activities on here.
We are having a tough time enough keeping our beloved hobby alive as it is.
SM
I am not aware of it being illegal to post BP recipes on the internet or make BP, but I am not up on the laws in New Jersey. Recipes can be found in history books, school books, etc. We just don’t discuss them on this forum.

Not true, you can make powder, a whole lot of it, for very cheap. 25lbs for around $60 if i remember my last batch. I do need better charcoal however.

True, once up and running. I was thinking in terms of initial investment for equipment. You are also going to have some overhead in materials lost initially in determining what works and what doesn't. So still cheaper and more efficient, with much less risk, to buy a few pounds rather than make it at this point.

Of course that is subject to change.

I live in the mountains so having items on hand is normal for me i guess. Doesnt really take a whole lot of materials to get it all up and running. My biggest hold up... hardwood charcoal.

making explosive materials can turn out badly
Yes, operative word is "can". Really, how did I live through childhood? Made my own explosives in the basement and made zip guns that shot. A zip gun was a crudely made single shot pistol. You could probably call the muzzle loaders since that is how most of them were loaded. We shot bottles and rats in vacant buildings with them.

I am not advocating that anyone do something they are uncomfortable with. What I would suggest is that it is not a bad idea to have the ability to be BP self sufficient, i.e. knowledge, and components available for "when." When always happens, eventually. BP is not complicated. Few who make their own advertise the fact. If you look to the arc of history in our country, and every other, for that matter, the trends do not favor possession and use of firearms: any use. Politics sucks, and politics will prevail in an instant of opportunity. You can count on that. Just saying...

Doubt most of the ‘chemicals’ that came with my set (yes, made BP with it) would be approved for 10 year old kids today. But learned a lot and had fun. If it burned, exploded, stunk, foamed, fizzed, etc, ‘experiments’ had to be tried. And repeated. Got replacement chemical supplies from a local pharmacy (usually with a what are you boys doing?), feed store and hobby shop. No age requirement to purchase supplies, and adults thought what we were doing was cute. Well most of the adults.

Almost cut my ear off with a chainsaw, once. Almost lost an eye trying to make something out of cap gun caps, once. Spent three months taped up from gut to shoulder, once. I have a long history almosts, once upon a times. Man I had fun being young and stupid. And when I crashed my bicycles I didn't look like a Star Wars armored warrior. Survival is a series of learned events. Be safe, not PC.

I once sent my guys to a firearms safety class. When they came back they informed me that the instructor (expert) had blown a hole through his hand with a 45. In the greater scheme of things does this have significance? Probably not, BUT. Experts sometimes make mistakes because they get casual with process. Being a shaky, what if? amateur, can be an asset to cautious, safe, productivity. I don't like big power tools: joiners, band saws, and the like. I don't like them because they scare me. Not enough experience with them (another almost story). When I use power tools I am all in careful. Point is the fact that "experts" have blown themselves up with powder doesn't surprise me a bit.

I had a set of the 1911 Encylopedia of Britanniaca. It was amazing the information it had on gun powder, its history, how it was made. percentages of ingredients etc. I suspect if I was of a mind one could do it based on what was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.