• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DON'T make your own!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinhorn

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm reading on here about folks discussing powder, home-made caps, etc. I would like to tell a true story that happened a few years ago in Redding, Ca. My general vicinity:
This older, retired fellow, D.R. was making contact explosives (think percussion explosives) in his garage of his nice house in the nice neighborhood. With his nice wife of many decades in the house, of course. And our hero managed to blow off a couple of fingers. Wife calls 911, ambulance arrives, EMTs call police, Sheriffs, P.D. arrive, shortly followed by the BATFE folks. While our hero is in the hospital, the decision is made to evacuate the house, and the neighbors, and the investigation determines that D.R's house is an explosive hazard, so it is torched by Shasta County firefighters in a controlled burn, with various subsequent explosions as it goes up. And that's the end of everything they worked decades for. And then about 5-10 years later, it happens again, about 5 miles closer to my house, with 60yr old dynamite found in the barn by the new owner. Shasta County makes the same decision and result. Why do people do this? In my experience, this explosive tinkering never ends well. Google it yourself- Redding Searchlight Newspaper, Shasta County, Calif. OK, I'm done. Tinhorn

nd then about 5-10 years later, it happens again, about 5 miles closer to my house, with 60yr old dynamite found in the barn by the new owner.

Yep, making explosive materials can turn out badly. Folks have been charged with possession of "weapons of mass destruction".

Yep, that stuff happens when the inadequately trained and inexperienced deal with old dynamite. Methinks some of these guys are idiots. i spent a career in US Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal retiring in 1979, then spent 30 years more doing the same kind of stuff.

In my day police departments and BATFE had no "bomb disposal" folks. i've answered hundreds of calls involving old dynamite. We hauled the stuff off to safe disposal areas and burned or blew it up.

I made some powder years ago. Small batches. Not safe and I would not want to try it again. Even powder companies have blown them selves up at times.
And I think you could get in to trouble. I don’t want to be telling a judge, ‘gee your honor, I wasn’t making bomb stuff just stuff for my flinter’.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this time it makes no sense to make it. It might be fun to try, but the risks are too great. Also, BP isn't that expensive. Look at the cost of unmentionable ammunition compared to our costs. It can be a hassle to get in a few locations, but most of us can order or pick it up without a great deal of trouble.

One of the forum rules says we don't talk about making black powder.
Since this thread is talking about NOT making it, I will leave it here for now. If it gets into any instructions about actually making it, I will remove the whole thread.

Good Call! I saw on here about folks making combustible cartridges for period correct revolvers, etc, and related about setting a log on fire with my .36 Brass Navy. as a teenager. The fire danger is so bad out West, we are very concerned about smoldering patches, wads, etc, probably more so than BP shooters in wetter parts of the country. Also, one fellow posted about somebody using home-made caps, which is why I wanted to post about D.R. and his ill-fated foray into percussion chemical manufacture. I'm not a big fan of flammable stuff flying out of my rifles/pistols, which is why my very long burnt patch thread. BLM out here is really hard on AK47 guys and steel jacket ammo, too.
Tinhorn

I think many of us shooting muzzleloaders need to keep fires in mind. I live in Kansas and most of the time it isn't a big issue, but.....

Certain years and certain times of the year it can be a problem. In the fall if we have had a dry summer, wooded and pasture areas can be tinder dry. Add to that a windy day and you have the makings for a real problem. A flint lock can further add to the problem.

I find the idea of burning someones house down because it is an explosive "hazard" troubling.

What of the many people that store cans of black powder, smokeless powder, caps, primers, etc, and have things like gasoline, oxy-acetylene welding tanks, propane cylinders, solvents like acetone and paint thinner etc in their garage, workshop or on the patio?

Percussion caps, primers,"strike anywhere" matches and even roll or plastic caps for kids cap guns are considered "contact" explosives.

I wonder how much longer us children are going to be allowed to play with such dangerous things?

For the most part, I agree.

I’ll gladly pay the experts for their troubles in producing and packaging explosives. 😲

That’s what black powder is, after all. It is NOT to be trifled with. That being said, sometimes it may be the only option. We’ve a thread going about our black powder brothers in South Africa, where it is impossible to obtain any black powder do to various laws. They MUST make there own, that’s their only option.

Provided it be made in small amounts and all safety precautions are followed at all times, it is not a guaranteed death sentence to make one’s own powder.

But here in America, I just see no need. Some do it to pinch a few pennies but to me that juice is most certainly NOT worth the squeeze.

There is the crowd that believes making BP at home is simple, easy and safe, and they absolutely know what they are doing so there is no danger. I guess they would call themselves experts. Although, it seems the ‘amateurs’ makers of BP find a ways to blow their plants up all the time. Doubt there has been a BP plant that hasn’t had significant damage if not total destruction from unintended explosions. The inventor of Pyrodex, Dan Pawlak, died in a powder plant explosion. Remember Goex having at least four significant plant explosions around 2000. So tell me again why I should make black powder in my basement without any worry. With 10 pound lots that pose little danger, sounds like a good idea, correct? I must be missing something.

Yea, this is why Dupont's powder making facilities were aimed toward the Delaware R. So when they blew up, it would do minimal damage. And they did occasionally blow. Once years ago they blew up and powder became scarce. I never quite ran out but was close before the supply recovered. Good topic for anyone thinking about it. Is good to have all 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Good Call! I saw on here about folks making combustible cartridges for period correct revolvers, etc, and related about setting a log on fire with my .36 Brass Navy. as a teenager. The fire danger is so bad out West, we are very concerned about smoldering patches, wads, etc, probably more so than BP shooters in wetter parts of the country. Also, one fellow posted about somebody using home-made caps, which is why I wanted to post about D.R. and his ill-fated foray into percussion chemical manufacture. I'm not a big fan of flammable stuff flying out of my rifles/pistols, which is why my very long burnt patch thread. BLM out here is really hard on AK47 guys and steel jacket ammo, too.
Tinhorn

I mentioned on one of these threads this last year about using patch lube that was made with water soluble oil, water and alcohol and then letting the alcohol and water evaporate. In my experience, the patches then started grass fires for me. It only happened twice, but it really impressed me and I went back to using MAP for a patch lube. I'm sure other compounds are equally fire resistant, it should be a prime consideration when choosing a patch lube. I would surely rather give up a small degree of accuracy to keep things safe.
Squint

I made the mistake of putting up on here how to make powder.. My bad there. But after many years of successfully making pyrotechnics, licensed and all. I have to say
DO NOT MESS WITH CONTACT EXPLOSIVES!
BP is relatively mild and not technically an "explosive". It burns really fast but unless contained the critical mass for an explosion is really large. The compounds in percussion caps is explosive down to the grain level unconstrained. That old time photographer flash powder will actually go bang with 1/2 an ounce sitting in a pile. Even static electricity can be enough to set them off.
It is bad stuff if you don't know how and aren't set up to do it correctly it is deadly.
Leave that to the professionals and just buy nice safe, dependable P caps.

I'm reading on here about folks discussing powder, home-made caps, etc. I would like to tell a true story that happened a few years ago in Redding, Ca. My general vicinity:
This older, retired fellow, D.R. was making contact explosives (think percussion explosives) in his garage of his nice house in the nice neighborhood. With his nice wife of many decades in the house, of course. And our hero managed to blow off a couple of fingers. Wife calls 911, ambulance arrives, EMTs call police, Sheriffs, P.D. arrive, shortly followed by the BATFE folks. While our hero is in the hospital, the decision is made to evacuate the house, and the neighbors, and the investigation determines that D.R's house is an explosive hazard, so it is torched by Shasta County firefighters in a controlled burn, with various subsequent explosions as it goes up. And that's the end of everything they worked decades for. And then about 5-10 years later, it happens again, about 5 miles closer to my house, with 60yr old dynamite found in the barn by the new owner. Shasta County makes the same decision and result. Why do people do this? In my experience, this explosive tinkering never ends well. Google it yourself- Redding Searchlight Newspaper, Shasta County, Calif. OK, I'm done. Tinhorn
A SFPD Bomb Expert was making a match head bomb for a class demonstration. Creased it too tight. Even experts die from their mistakes.

Like everything in life, there is risk involved. Some folks out there shouldn't cut their own hair, let alone make powder.

I made a post on here a while back about grinding up some old G-O black powder ( artillery ) and reprocessing it into 2fg and finer. Oh boy! Talk about rivers of tears flowing. Sometimes its just best to keep your mouth shut and go ahead with your plans and enjoy the end product.

I don't think you or anyone else has the right to tell people what they should or should not do. Everyone out there has their limitations and making caps & powder is a big one. Casting projectiles is dangerous but by golly, if you start telling folks on here to start buying them because casting is dangerous, you're liable to be thrown into california and told to stay there where its safe.

101366091_10157717142517875_3644795378659753984_n.jpg

A SFPD Bomb Expert was making a match head bomb for a class demonstration. Creased it too tight. Even experts die from their mistakes.

In 1971 a US Army EOD captain was killed when the pipe bomb he made for a class exploded. The captain had been told not to build a real sure enough pipe bomb. i knew the sergeant major of the EOD detachment. As the SGM passed the captains door the captains head went by.

https://eodwarriorfoundation.org/cpt-gary-j-guest/?lpw=8266

Last edited:
Like everything in life, there is risk involved. Some folks out there shouldn't cut their own hair, let alone make powder.

I made a post on here a while back about grinding up some old G-O black powder ( artillery ) and reprocessing it into 2fg and finer. Oh boy! Talk about rivers of tears flowing. Sometimes its just best to keep your mouth shut and go ahead with your plans and enjoy the end product.

I don't think you or anyone else has the right to tell people what they should or should not do. Everyone out there has their limitations and making caps & powder is a big one. Casting projectiles is dangerous but by golly, if you start telling folks on here to start buying them because casting is dangerous, you're liable to be thrown into california and told to stay there where its safe.

101366091_10157717142517875_3644795378659753984_n.jpg
I agree with you as long as you are the only one blown up when something goes wrong.

As for burning a home in a control Fire Dept. burn; The EOD folks said the chemicals and precursors were too unstable to move. They also said D.R. was making Picric Acid, which my USMC Demolition Manuals say has the fastest shockwave of any chemical explosive. I wasn't EOD, but my trucks transported Combat Engineers and ammo. So we had to read up on being an Ammo Driver, and licensed for it. Tinhorn

A college friend back in 1963 related how a small batch of black powder he was making blew up in his face, burning off his eyelashes and eyebrows. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured and the eyelashes and eyebrows grew back.

Status
Not open for further replies.