• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dont forget your powder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better then, before you loaded up a "dry shot". Is that correct term for no powder under a shot charge? I might be mistaken as maybe a 32-36 and head shots?

Well, it happened to me today. Got my gear ready and drove down to the local squirrel spot this afternoon. Parked the truck, put my vest on, grabbed my gun, then headed out alongvthe trail that follows the creek. Got about 100 yards from the truck then stopped to load the smooth bore. Then it hit me, " YOU FORGOT THE POWFER HORN DUMMY". Stood there for a moment then trudged back to the truck. Called home and asked my wife humbly if she'd mind bringing my powder horn down. Luckily for me, where I hunt is only a 20 minute drive. My wife brought the powder horn down and off I went.

Lesson learned. Next time I'm doing like I usually do for deer season, which is to have a couple premade charges in paper tubes, that I keep as backup in case I forgot my powder.
I keep a flask of 3fg in my bag, just in case I get separated from my horn. Let us draw the curtain of obscurity over how I came to practice such a discipline, LOL! By the way, I use 3fg in every ML I shoot, kind of like how Britsmoothy uses 4fg in (seemingly) every ML he owns!

The first two things that go when you get older is your mind - and I can't remember what the second thing was! I think we have all been victim of forgetting stuff like that, I do it all the time. While in college, my roommates and I decided to go shoot my new .44 mag pistol. I had some full power loads and wanted to see the reaction of their faces when they touched it off. Anyway, we loaded up in my car and made a stop by the bank to get some money (back before teller machines). Once at the drive thru window, the lady pointed at the roof of my car. When I got out and looked, there sat my nice new pistol- right where I put it to unlock the door. Now a days I'd probable be thrown in jail.

I went to the range just yesterday. Kept running everything through my mind so as to not forget. Great. I get to the gange, go to wipe the bore, forgot my range rod.:doh:

Well, it happened to me today. Got my gear ready and drove down to the local squirrel spot this afternoon. Parked the truck, put my vest on, grabbed my gun, then headed out alongvthe trail that follows the creek. Got about 100 yards from the truck then stopped to load the smooth bore. Then it hit me, " YOU FORGOT THE POWFER HORN DUMMY". Stood there for a moment then trudged back to the truck. Called home and asked my wife humbly if she'd mind bringing my powder horn down. Luckily for me, where I hunt is only a 20 minute drive. My wife brought the powder horn down and off I went.

Lesson learned. Next time I'm doing like I usually do for deer season, which is to have a couple premade charges in paper tubes, that I keep as backup in case I forgot my powder.
Skip the powder, where can I find a wife like yours.

griffiga,

That is a wild story. I think I put a book I borrowed on the roof of my work truck and lost it that way. I even went back for it, but no luck. It was a borrowed book so I bought the loaner a new one.

I read about a cop that lost his handgun by putting it on the roof of his car, he lost his job over that.

I read about another cop putting it on the back of the toilet and losing it that way.

A few years ago I was shooting at the sheriff's department range and got distracted talking guns with a deputy...had he not saw it and said something, I would have driven off with my rifle on the trunk lid of my car. I thanked him.

I forgot ear plugs once. Got some disposable ones and threw them in my gear. I forgot my RR once. It got so bad that I started bringing extra guns with me just so as if something goes wrong or is forgotten, I still have another shooting choice so it's not a waisted trip.

I have done that more than once. But hey now I always leave a 1/4 pound of powder and assorted shot,ball flints in the vehicle during hunting season. Works wonders till you almost cross the Canadian,American border with it 😂

I got out to the range one day and started taking stuff out of the car and had forgotten my ammo case.. I was mad at myself and looked up and here was my wife driving down the road... a big smile on her face and gota admit i smiled myself she saw the box sitting all alone on the driveway where i park and headed out around 15 min after i left. even after 52 years of marriage she still takes care of me.

Seeing as I am about to get married, I can now list one more thing in the "Pro" column. "Honey, I forget X, can you bring it to me?"

Glad you have such a good wife. :)

I have put my holster on, left the house, got 1/2 mile down the road, realized I forgot my pistol. Go back!

I heard about a guy going to a rifle match that forgot his bolt. No idea what he did.
Let us know how the wife thing works out.

Latest posts

Back