• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dont forget your powder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it happened to me today. Got my gear ready and drove down to the local squirrel spot this afternoon. Parked the truck, put my vest on, grabbed my gun, then headed out alongvthe trail that follows the creek. Got about 100 yards from the truck then stopped to load the smooth bore. Then it hit me, " YOU FORGOT THE POWFER HORN DUMMY". Stood there for a moment then trudged back to the truck. Called home and asked my wife humbly if she'd mind bringing my powder horn down. Luckily for me, where I hunt is only a 20 minute drive. My wife brought the powder horn down and off I went.

Lesson learned. Next time I'm doing like I usually do for deer season, which is to have a couple premade charges in paper tubes, that I keep as backup in case I forgot my powder.

Seeing as I am about to get married, I can now list one more thing in the "Pro" column. "Honey, I forget X, can you bring it to me?"

Glad you have such a good wife. :)

I have put my holster on, left the house, got 1/2 mile down the road, realized I forgot my pistol. Go back!

I heard about a guy going to a rifle match that forgot his bolt. No idea what he did.

My hunting buddies' son wanted to m/l deer hunt w/ us one morning. His dad clandestinely came to me , when I went to pick the two of them up @ 4AM on the way to the woods . Dad told me sonny forgot his flintlock, and neglected putting it in the car. Dad swore me to silence saying a lesson in forgetfulness was in order. Seems dad has to get everything ready for the hunt , while junior doesn't participate until time to leave for the day .We arrived where we leave our vehicle prior to walking into the woods 1.5 miles , and sonny is thunder struck as he remembered leaving his rifle at home. Having no pity for son ,we let him continue in his dither until we get where our hunt is to commence. I could no longer be cruel to him and figured lesson learned , so I put him in a stand in the laurel I was going to use. I loaned him my .62 cal. Jager rifle and shot pouch . As luck would have it , a circle drive around his position chased a fat doe to him and success. Could we consider , lesson learned ???? This young guy is now in his late forties , CEO of his own company , and has his own two sons to mentor. ........oldwood

If it's needed for shooting a muzzle loader, at one time or another I've forgotten it. Powder, balls, patches, pics,. It's really irritating.

I also remember the time when I went on a grouse hunt at a local game lands. Two guys parked next to me, get out of their truck and start to get ready. I then hear the one guy start cursing. I look over to see his buddy say to him " what's wrong". The guy then shows the scoped deer rifle he had brought grouse hunting. I then heard him say "I grabbed the wrong $€#&ing gun case".

That‘s what patch boxes are good for. I always kept two balls, patches and powder, plus an extra flint, in the patch box. Never used more than two shots any way for deer.

One day someone will make a self contained cartridge. Cap, powder and ball.......🤔🤫
Won't happen. The whole idea is too dangerous. If a cap is in one of them cartridges, just about anything that hits it could make it fire.o_O
I say, keep the caps away from the powder until your ready to shoot.

:D 🤣 :ghostly:

After having driving for 45 minutes and finding myself in need of something I've forgotten, I used the computer and listed out every item needed for the range trip, one for handgun, muzzleloader, and every other platform. Each time I go to the range, I check off everything

Oddly enough the last few times I went out shooting I forgot NOTHING! For a while there it was getting to be ridiculous, nearly worryinglysome so. I have taken a 20 GA shot gun and 12 ga components turkey hunting (errr...shall I say turkey guiding).

I made a word, worryinglysome! you heard it here first!!

Back