• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Done, done it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
Despite my operation last ffriday which about took out the use of my right arm at the elbow.
(last year I took out my left one)

I started on my last rifle. Sure felt good to be widdling away at some wood again.

Im looking for the formula for the pewty gray metal finsh Ive seen on a few rifles to enclude Allen Martin's fine pieces.

Being that Im using walnut, which tends to be dark. I figured I'd stray from the conventional browning this time.

Lets see your solutions, and any pics to see how they came out.

Thanks

Johnny T

search out posts from member 41aerocana
Scott detailed his process very well on all aspects when he built his GPR.
I have seen the gun first hand and I think he has the results you desire.

If you just draw file the barrel down and sand out the scratches you will have a finished barrel in the white. Oil it with whatever you normally protect your gun with. With time, you will get that pewter look.

Many Klatch

Naval Jelly treatment on steel with a walnut stock

IMG_1763.jpg

:v

Bead blasted, cold blued, carded with 0000 steel wool. Sealed with hot beeswax. Easyest metal finish I ever did.

DickertF4.jpg

DickertF3.jpg

DickertF0.jpg

Well it would surely help if Brett spelled my name correctly! Here's the link to the thread he was referring to:

Lyman in Gray

Mine actually came out a little darker than an light pewter. To lighten it up you just need to rub it back more when blueing. Good luck!
Scott

Longsmoke, I must say, that is one of the purdiest rifle-guns I have seen in a while. I am just finishing a trapper pistol in walnut from a PR precarve-- I'm going to try to achieve something close to yours on the finish.

What stain/finish did you use on the stock?

:thumbsup:

Old40Rod, thank you very much. The color is LMF Cherry, one very wet coat, let a stand long enough to grab a clean rag and rub off. Let compleatly dry and card with 0000 steel wool. Then a coat of Dangler's (the color is redish brown, not sure what he calls it) let dry and lightly card with steel wool.

Finish is 4 or 5 coats of LMF stock sealer put on wet and then rubbed back till dry. Card with 0000 steel wool between coats if needed. Be carefull not to rub color off sharp corners.

I like the stock sealer better than the stock finish because it aint as shiny. It"s the same thing just real runny, soaks in better and you can realy get the barrel chanle and other inlets sealed without any build up, so parts still fit.

By the way, that cherry stain looks sweet on walnut. Try some on a scrap and see what you think. If I have time I will run a peice of walnut fire wood through the planer, stain it and post a picture.

Bruce Everhart

I'll give the cherry stain a whirl, I agree that combo on walnut with the "grey" finish is a great match. If I get anything interesting, I'll post some photos... unfortunately I'm still a few weeks away from getting to the point of finishing. BTW, the shaping around the ramrod channel is also very well done!

Back