• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Don Brown Alexander Henry Replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reskite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I inherited this rifle from a collector and well known gunsmith. It was one of his prized possessions, although he was unable to shoot it extensively. Still, I think it's very pretty. There are some initials engraved on the barrel I'm curious about, as well as the sight set. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I did them myself last summer and only now just got around to processing and editing the RAW files. I shot everything with a Nikon Z7 and 24-70/4.0 zoom lens using Profoto electronic flash.

108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 7.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 2.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 3.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 8.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 9.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 15.jpg
108DonBrownAlexanderHenryML.451 19.jpg

I think it's a very pretty rifle but do not know who the maker was or what the DVB engraving on the barrel signifies. It is otherwise unmarked, except for the tang sight which is engraved MN. The previous owner acquired it to participate in long range muzzleloading competition but was in poor health and could not tolerate the prone position to standing for loading then back to prone to fire. Just wore him out. He went back to benchrest competition where he participated competitively well into his 80s.

I am assuming that DVB is Don Brown. MN I believe to be sight maker Mike Neumann.

Thanks for posting pictures of your rifle. This style of rifle is one of my favorites and I also have 2 of Don Browns rifles. I bet if you pull the lock off you will find that it is made by Bob Roller, it looks like one of his locks.

This rifle with ramrod and shorter rear sight is not a target version. Certainly could be used for long range however.

I bet that the barrel was made by Badger out of WI.

All quality parts and a classy rifle.

What do you plan on doing with it?

FLeener

Of course, you're correct about the rear sight. Mike Neumann. Think he did the front sight as well?

I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can, but I expect I'll let it go. I have too many toys, one being a Pedersoli Gibbs that would take better advantage of the contemporary long range weight allowances. It's fitted with a long range Soule replica and shoots pretty well.

Speaking of Bob Roller, he worked his magic on the Gibbs replica lock, at the suggestion of Daniel Theodore. Dan and I used to shoot together.

Fleenor is correct - quality and classy.
Rod England bought Don’s patterns and leftover dies after his passing. Rod still sells the same kit as Don.
Like Don, Rod will build you one.
I like it, my favorite maker. Alexander Henry made the best looking and feeling ML I’ve every held. I bet if feels better in the hand than your Ped Gibbs.
Thanks for sharing.

Back