• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Don’t underestimate a small charge of black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I use my .54 cal. GPR with 35gr of 3f Goex for squirrels. I get very good accuracy with this light load, but even with only 35gr of powder it will still produce enough energy to punch through a 2-1/2” diameter maple tree!
1A873CAF-4A83-4BD1-9576-5193E70DFDD9.jpeg82D21486-A60A-4290-8B5A-ECF35DBF77FB.jpeg

There is no doubt about that. When I've pushed a ball without powder I have to trickle powder into the flash hole to remove it. Maybe get a couple grains in and it throws the ball out at I would guess about 400 ft/sec. You can see it but wouldn't want to get hit by it! My estimation comes from my kids airsoft rifles, they are about 400 also and seems about right...

Forgive me if I am seem insulting, but it seems to me that using more powder is just an attempt to make up for poor marksmanship.
I use enough powder to be accurate at 50 yards for all my flintlocks. sadly each one need more than I would like, but it’s less than what is considered a “hunting load” from I had read on this forum.

I managed to pull the end off my cleaning rod when a patch got stuck at the bottom of my muzzle loading shotgun. Nothing I tried would get it out. As a last resort I took it to the range, refitted the wooden rod into the stuck end, removed the nipple and filled the hole with a .22 case of 3f powder then refitted the nipple.

Upon firing the ramrod flew about 100 yards, unfortunately it snapped as well but you can't have everything.

Even very small amounts of powder can do much more than you expect.

I managed to pull the end off my cleaning rod when a patch got stuck at the bottom of my muzzle loading shotgun. Nothing I tried would get it out. As a last resort I took it to the range, refitted the wooden rod into the stuck end, removed the nipple and filled the hole with a .22 case of 3f powder then refitted the nipple.

Upon firing the ramrod flew about 100 yards, unfortunately it snapped as well but you can't have everything.

Even very small amounts of powder can do much more than you expect.
I will keep that in mind! Ouch.

Latest posts

Back