• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Don’t sleep on the .50 PRB, Story and pic.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a rough year at work (Healthcare), I needed some relaxing fun, so I booked myself a Hog hunt. I have never taken any type game with a Flintlock, and I fell in love with black powder recently. So I planned on using my TVM Iron Pennsylvania with my standard load 80gr of Olde Eynsford and a PRB (pillow ticking and mink oil). After researching PRB effectiveness on Hogs, was a bit apprehensive about using a .50 PRB, but I decided to give it a try. I recently added a skinner barrel mount peep sight to my rifle and I can now shoot much more accurately.

After sitting in a blind for a few hours I saw 4 pigs coming my way. I got out of the blind and setup in a blowdown. The group was headed to a small clearing 45 yards uphill from me, I focused on the biggest one. At the last second I whistled so the pigs would stop and I quickly put the front post on the big ones armpit and squeezed. At the shot the pigs scattered but I could tell the one I shot was hit. He clumsily ran about 30 yards in a half circle, the sun was shining down the hill on him so I could see the blood pumping out. He was on his feet about 6 seconds and then he was down and out. I could not believe the amount of blood that was on the ground.

The ball did not exit, but was found in the hide on the offside, mostly flattened. Needless to say I was impressed with the killing power of a PRB. The hog was estimated at 200-215lbs.

This was the entrance hole and ball.

Attachments

• 8C69B991-7DDA-4B4E-B85C-9F56B813B401.jpeg
    8C69B991-7DDA-4B4E-B85C-9F56B813B401.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 221
  • FFBE1A5E-E323-430E-847C-016702F42A34.jpeg
    FFBE1A5E-E323-430E-847C-016702F42A34.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 259
  • CDBF5399-AE07-48B8-992F-792E115C0BD2.jpeg
    CDBF5399-AE07-48B8-992F-792E115C0BD2.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 243
  • ED9E21A9-10BA-413A-9EB6-0EA8660ED45E.png
    ED9E21A9-10BA-413A-9EB6-0EA8660ED45E.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 241
Well done! I went on a hog hunt with some friends about 12 years ago, we hunted with dogs, it was one of the most fun hunts I've ever had.

Wild pork is very tasty and the OP did it just right too. No running shots which negates lactic acid and adrenaline in the muscle tissue which causes the "gamey" issue. He's in for some good eating!
I try for the sows. They tend to have more fat on them. Then there's "roast suckling pig" as a byproduct of catching up with a sow. Prep 'em, salt, pepper, garlic, your favorite rub and in the smoker whole they go! 👌🤤

wm

It's been my experience that round balls have a killing power that's much greater than their weights suggests that they have.
This. The Guy who guided me has seen hundreds if not a thousand pigs killed . He told me not to worry, because in his experiences with clients, the round ball kills pigs fast.

I've taken wild hogs with a 22 LR, up to a 45-70. They are definitely tougher than white tail but aren't bullet proof as some think.
I haven't had a chance to take one with a muzzle loader, but it'll happen.

Good job on turning a nuisance into supper.

Ps, i've found that a little more seasoning is needed with most wild game, feral hogs are no exception.
Happy eating.

Hello Pa-brush buster71 - did you use an outfitter? And where did you go?
I was not able to go down south for a “real” hog hunt do to lack of time off work. I used Tioga Boar Hunting in North central Pennsylvania. It’s usually not my thing to hunt preserves, but for hogs, it fit the bill for being close to home and fun. I can say that the food, lodging, and experience was high quality. They run a professional outfit. I would recommend them if you live close by, and your time away from home is limited.

Latest posts

Back