• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dollar General Lubricant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
There was a recent grand opening of a new Dollar General store near here. I attended and felt compelled to buy something. I found a can of D G spray "oil" on the shelf next to the WD40. It does say lubricant on it. I mainly bought it for the kids bikes. We've discussed other various lubes on this forum from WD40 to transmission fluid. Has anyone else tried this product in or on their muzzle loaders?

Screenshot_20190929-092915_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190929-092915_Gallery.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 60
Might not be too bad, but be sure to clean it all out. Don't expect the DG lubricant to provide any rust protection. Do expect the DG lubricant to get gummy. Or as Britsmoothy suggests don't use it. All you will save is a few pennies at a cost measured in frustration when you have to clean up afterwards.

I’ve used lots of it for non gun things and it has been fine. It’s a little thicker than WD and looks pink in color, smells way different than WD also.

I'll just spray the bike chains with the "cheap stuff" and save the WD40 for me. That was the original purpose. The 5 year old thinks his bike needs a good spraying a little too often. Oh and could someone elaborate on that part about not expecting too much rust protection from this product. Other than the smell, it seems to be a WD40-like product. Use (or don't at all) as such?

"I'll just spray the bike chains with the "cheap stuff" and save the WD40 for me." ...Eutycus

Use it (on a cloth) to clean your bike chains, but oil them with ATF, then wipe off the excess or, better, use one of the teflon-based liquid lubes as sold by 3-in-1, Finish Line, etc.

The DG lubricant won't have the film like qualities and protective capability of a rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade. Don't expect too much in rust protection from WD40 for many of the same reasons. The WD40 and the DG may penetrate rust, but may leave the kind of protective surface to prevent future rusting.

Wd40 I believe has a secret ingredient that I believe is fish oil based.
That is why many get away with using it with black powder. In effect one is back to using animal fats!
The only down side is that wd40 also uses petroleum products....not good for black powder or wood!

I would only use the proven oils on firearms. I started using the cheap stuff on bikes after I caught my grandson spraying every kid's bike in the neighborhood with my Ballistol, lol.
Thats the idea of using the cheaper stuff more on "non gun" things. My gun oils and such go on the top shelf where a certain little boy can't reach them. I want him to learn about lubes and such but I want him to learn cheaply.

There seems to be something inherently wrong combining Dollar General and muzzleloading.
Which side did the General Dollar fight for anyway? :D

Wd40 I believe has a secret ingredient that I believe is fish oil based.
That is why many get away with using it with black powder. In effect one is back to using animal fats!
The only down side is that wd40 also uses petroleum products....not good for black powder or wood!

No fish oil

That petroleum products is bad for muzzleloader take has been proven wrong a million times over at this point.

It is no secret that petroleum products and muzzleloading don't exactly go hand in hand. It's been mentioned on this forum many times. I'm a big believer that the two don't mix. I was merely asking if the product is any good.

Back