• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dogs and frontloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van Man, That looks like a Liver Curly Coat Retriever.A bit rare in the field in UK these days. Most in the show ring but they lack Bone. I had one some years ago. Was alright on the Whistle but kept forgetting its name.. OLD DOG..

Van Man, That looks like a Liver Curly Coat Retriever.A bit rare in the field in UK these days. Most in the show ring but they lack Bone. I had one some years ago. Was alright on the Whistle but kept forgetting its name.. OLD DOG..
Yes the curly coat retriever a good old breed I bred them in the 70.s all black but never a liver one , a good strong dog both in rough cover and ideal for fowling . Van Man dog looks more like a cheespeke but I may be wrong.
Feltwad

Had six German Shorthair Pointers over 50 years. All but one , were rescue dogs. I keep trying to do a better job of being each dogs master , and still learning. A man hasn't lived , until he's had his dog leave this life , in his arms. I know i'll be in someones ' arms when I leave................oldwood

Not sure guys, always told it was an English Lab. Doesn’t have the curly coat but I’m no expert. Maybe I should be calling him Curly, instead of Scout.

Must agree with Oldwood... Wife and I laid down with our black lab as she passed away on her mattress, 12 years ago. Will never forget that moment.

I've never run a dog off with a muzzleloader but I did run one off with an umbrella. Thing came running at me and I opened my umbrella in his face. He froze, then ran off.

Oh! You meant "hunt with muzzleloader and dog" right? Oh. Sorry.

We have a black English lab GUNNER he is going on 2 years old, Jake was the first black lab American breed big dog , GUNNER is about 75 lbs. closer to the ground and very stocky, broad head, shorter muzzle. His coat is wavy but when wet it gets curly. Great dogs and like everyone else very hard to deal with when it is time for them to move on, someday we will all be back together in a much better place. Also spent 14 years with a OLD ENGLISH sheep dog CHAUNCEY was his name also a great dog he learnt me a few lessons, Those English fellows you know.

We have a black English lab GUNNER he is going on 2 years old, Jake was the first black lab American breed big dog , GUNNER is about 75 lbs. closer to the ground and very stocky, broad head, shorter muzzle. His coat is wavy but when wet it gets curly. Great dogs and like everyone else very hard to deal with when it is time for them to move on, someday we will all be back together in a much better place. Also spent 14 years with a OLD ENGLISH sheep dog CHAUNCEY was his name also a great dog he learnt me a few lessons, Those English fellows you know.

I know you had Curlies when I was a pup.FELT WAD, Did you meet a Curly man :- DEREK TEBBY ?? My CURLEW OVER GREENSWYLDE was his and came from Ardguy, in Sutherland.. Big "C" After a clip from Road racer in the village.Still want another.Black as they don't look like Foxes or Munties in the dense Rhodies on our old ground .Would love to send piccies If I could find HOW. OLD DOG..

All GREENSWYLDEs. My Black Team Matched Black Powder fowling. Regret after nearly 50 years of Lapdadors they are all gone to another Hunting ground somewhere.. They all liked time near my Lap. Pandemic has caused Puppy prices to go into Orbit in UK. OLD DOG..

Green...........I've rescued five German Shorthair Pointers in 50 years , and adopted a GSP puppy as perhaps my last dog. You know what breed you like , so get on the micro.-p and find a new candidate. I can't tell you how enriching dogs are as you already know. Have at it!!!............oldwood

Yesterday we had to make the hard decision to let Kaiah (see first page of posts on this thread) move on to the next Happy Hunting Grounds. We were on a fishing trip in Northern Minnesota at a campground with our motorhome. Our three dogs were with us. On Tuesday we noticed Kaiah was a bit lethargic, threw up once, and didn't really want to eat much...and her nickname was "the food whore" so not finishing her food was highly unusual. As the day progressed she got somewhat worse. She had just had a minor surgery to remove a non-cancerous cyst from her high leg and was on antibiotics and pain medications, both of which could have side effects to match what was happening, so while we were a bit concerned we didn't have reason to be overly worried.

On Wednesday morning she didn't even want to move, so we took her to a local vet office and got the bad news that she was bleeding internally and her kidneys and liver were shutting down. Probable cause was assessed as a ruptured cancerous tumor in her abdomen. My wife immediately left for home (6 hours away) with Kaiah to get her to our vet clinic, which is state of the art. I packed up the motorhome and was on my way about an hour later.

After having an ultrasound done by a University of Minnesota Vet that works with our clinic, we got the worst news. In addition to a ruptured tumor on her gall bladder, her liver was super enlarged and riddled with holes, etc. Her vitals were failing quickly. Even if we would have wanted to, surgery to correct the internal bleeding was out because she was so anemic she would have bled to death on the table. They would have had to have started with blood transfusions and a lengthy hospital stay just to try to stabilize her before they could even operate and even then, the prognosis was very negative for any recovery. For a 12 1/2 yr old dog, the decision was pretty clear. It was time to let Kaiah go on and hope we meet again in the next world.

She was definitely one of the very best dogs we ever had. Since I can't see the page much anymore, I'll end with a pic of Kaiah doing one of the things she loved best...playing around in the water.

34247206044_d6028f9f6c_z.jpg

This is an old story....probably from Field and Stream or Field Dog magazine. A fellow lent his beagle to a fellow squirrel hunter. Dog found the first squirrel perfectly but quit hunting after that. The guy's buddy returned disgusted with the dog. THEN the owner told him that he always guts each squirrel as soon as he shoots it and feeds the dog. The owner never guts the LAST squirrel so the dog knows its time to stop hunting and go home.

If you lend your truck or you lend your wife.....their both gonna come home fucked.

I slaughtered a couple of Ostriches up here in Canada in the early 90's when my buddy was getting tired of feeding them. He was gonna get rich..but they ate him out'a house and home.
Gut-piles always got carried off into the bush and Ostrich guts was no different.

I laughed when my neighbor told me that his dog came home with a deer-leg out'a Jurassic Park. He thought the dogs had found an alien.

In 50+ yrs. I've been allowed to share life w/six German Shorthair Pointers , all but one , were rescue dogs. I'm on #6 just now.
All I want to say is , if I could live , and show love as does a GSP , life would be complete. .................oldwood

Dogs and front loaders............ In the 1950's , my father told me of an incident he heard about when he was growing up. Seems there was a group of hunters on a rabbit hunt w/ beagles . One of the hunters was using an old long single barreled m/l percussion shotgun. Supposedly , our actor was standing w/his fellow hunters , leaning on his gun. One of the dogs decided to jump up against his leg . In so doing , when dog got down , one paw fanned the hammer on the m/l shotgun disengaging the safety notch in the percussion lock. Gun fired , the end of one finger was vaporized. All in all , in retrospect , it could have been our hunters finger tip , and part of his head.. , so the story goes........oldwood

Back