• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dog tracking and training collar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A short while back there was some discussion on GPS tracking and training collars.

I recently purchased the Garmin Alpha 200i with a TT15 mini collar for my 4 month old Epagneul Breton.

I spent quite a bit of time researching which unit to buy. I have a couple of buddies that have the Alpha 100 and they dont like the screens on them and how the units work.

I have been putting mine through it paces with the dog and I really like it. Seems that they listened to the customers and corrected several things in the 200i from the 200 and 100.

One of the things that I also like is the 200i is that it has inreach built in. At times I go to some very remote places with and without the dog and this could be very handy.

Fleener

Definitely interested in the responses to this. I will have my bird dog on a long lead next season, but will be looking into a collar for 2023!

Got to ask, and I mean no disrespect. Why a long lead for this next season? How old is your dog? This is my only second real bird dog so not a lot experience but have hunted for years with buddy's and their dogs. I have trained quite a few dogs over the years in obedience and working livestock.

Fleener

Got to ask, and I mean no disrespect. Why a long lead for this next season? How old is your dog? This is my only second real bird dog so not a lot experience but have hunted for years with buddy's and their dogs. I have trained quite a few dogs over the years in obedience and working livestock.

Fleener
He’s 5.5 months. I want him to hunt close. Summer is a tough season for training here in AZ.

The cover is so thick where I hunt I dont know how you could use a long lead. Never seen anyone use one before.

Fleener

The cover is so thick where I hunt I dont know how you could use a long lead. Never seen anyone use one before.

Fleener
I could see that, even here in AZ there are hazards to using a long lead. The lead picks up cholla bunches and you real in and let out indiscriminately, getting into your hands (gloves or not). It’s par for the course, as well as jumping cholla in my pups paws. Digging out those bastards is my job. Best with my bare hands because he trusts my hands , but not a comb. Got to get them out, before he trys to get it out himself and its in his mouth now. They do learn over time to look out for those little AZ land mines.

Arizona desert. what isn't trying to bite you is trying to cut or stab you! and i love it almost as much as i do my forests! the smell of the evening desert is heaven!
makes me want to go to Troon for a couple weeks!

Attachments

• bob cat at troon.jpg
    bob cat at troon.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 23
It is not uncommon to hunt in thick grasses over 4 foot in height.

I assume your dog is a flushing dog? Mine is a pointer. The Epagneul Breton is known for working close.

I take him in the woods and fields for walks and he never goes more then 30 yards from me.

The nice thing about the collar is that it has a beep, vibrate or shock aspect. We have an underground electronic fence in our yard. So, he knows that when he hears a beep to back off or he gets a shock.

On a walk today we had a few hundred Canada Geese on a pond with aeration system keeping the center open (single digits here in Iowa). At one point I was afraid he would head out on the ice after them and did not listen well so I beeped the collar once. He jumped back instantly.

Fleener

How old is your pup Fleener?
Smartest dog i ever had was a Epagneul Breton. he would hold a point on a single in a covey of Quail for as long as it took me to kick it.
for fun he would dive to the bottom of our pond to retrieve a stone i had tossed. and he never got the wrong stone.

He is 4 months. His nickname is the devil dog. Lots of energy. Smart little bugger.

Fleener

He is 4 months. His nickname is the devil dog. Lots of energy. Smart little bugger.

Fleener
no doubt about the smart! and the energy. My wife and i laid our two Labs down this last fall. Married for 52 years and been together for 56. my first gift to her was a puppy. we have never been without a couple dogs under feet. the house feels empty.
i am seriously contemplating a Brittnay . or two

I had many Britts and they are excellent hunters and great companions. I use to field trail them and killed many birds over them. I have also had Labs and still have an ole boy 13 yrs. old. and we hunted waterfowl last season . I will soon be 80 but we are still hunting. Thats him in my avatar

Deerstalkert

I had an American Britney several years ago and she was a great dog. I did not realize that there were two different Britney breeds unit Sparkitoff posted some pictures of his Epagneul Breton (French Britney).

After digging into the French Britney's I decided that I wanted one. One of the things that they are known for is working close while hunting.

I have forgotten how much work a puppy is.

Fleener

It is alot of work and I worked my dogs every day. But what a joy to behold when they make their first point and you kill the bird! I prefer the american breed and female always seem easier to train. I have had five fantastic Britts and love the breed . I had a litter of 8 and wanted to keep them all but all went to hunting friends.

I would agree with you on female vs male. I was wanting a puppy and found a breeder that I liked and had one pup not spoken for out of 3 litters and it ended up being a male. So far he is eager to learn and has been fairly easy to train. As I type this he brings me the TV remote from the other room.

Both of us are looking forward to warmer weather to do more outside work and training.

Fleener

It is not uncommon to hunt in thick grasses over 4 foot in height.

I assume your dog is a flushing dog? Mine is a pointer. The Epagneul Breton is known for working close.

I take him in the woods and fields for walks and he never goes more then 30 yards from me.

The nice thing about the collar is that it has a beep, vibrate or shock aspect. We have an underground electronic fence in our yard. So, he knows that when he hears a beep to back off or he gets a shock.

On a walk today we had a few hundred Canada Geese on a pond with aeration system keeping the center open (single digits here in Iowa). At one point I was afraid he would head out on the ice after them and did not listen well so I beeped the collar once. He jumped back instantly.

Fleener
My dog is an American Brittany. He’s a pointer. Next October will be his first season.

My EB is 10 months old tomorrow. She was and still is a runt at 24 pounds of dynamite. At first, she was close range and cast straight out and back. I longed for another dog to show her what to do. Well, all I really needed was patience. Once she knew we were looking for birds and got confident, she began to quarter and cast out much further. She naturally adjusted to the terrain and will readily go out 100-yards if it is open. Usually in that open-ness I can see her. When we began the woodcock hunts things changed in a hurry. Sometimes I can't see the dog 10-yards away. I tried a bell, but I could only here that maybe 25-yards due to poor hearing, and it didn't help one bit when she stopped for any reason including pointing a bird. I opted for the Garmin Delta Upland XC Beeper/Training Collar combo. I tried the 200i, it is a great unit. A friend as one used for a long-ranging GSP that is liver and disappears right in front of you. For me, I could not get used to it. I want to know where the dog is without looking at the monitor. I don't want to walk around with the monitor in my hand. When I tried the Delta that was more for me. In open areas I use Point Only mode. There is a button to activate the beeper for a few blasts whenever I want to check in on the dog. If it is thick, I use RUN and POINT modes set a one beep every 6 seconds RUN and 1 every second POINT. If I hear the dog going towards a concern, I have the ability to issue correction in the form of beeps, vibration or shock. The beeping seems to keep my dog very steady. She equates the beep with a bird or a reason to point. She will "back" another dog's beeper without seeing the dog. Once she goes on point and settles in, the beeping keeps her mesmerized. I like both methods, the Alphas and the Deltas. Funny, having a 175 year old shotgun and the most modern e-collar system. Keep a log of points, bumped birds and recovered birds by retrieve. This little squirt has pointed 354 birds this season! Best of luck with the pup and the system!

I have had some great bird dogs. The fuzzy one is not that awesome. But she is my wife's 🤣
I really want another GSP. I am really thinking about a train and track collar too. I have a inReach already.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1630029123708.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630029123708.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220214-214442_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214442_Facebook.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220214-214359_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214359_Facebook.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220214-214421_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214421_Facebook.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220214-214305_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214305_Facebook.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220214-214054_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214054_Facebook.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220214-214008_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-214008_Facebook.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20161105_125155.jpg
    20161105_125155.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180902_131407.jpg
    20180902_131407.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180908_131724.jpg
    20180908_131724.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 32
The bad thing is that one of the dealers for the Garmin has a statement on their website that the collars dont work in CN. The frequency apparently is one that you cant use for recreation. The info says that based on the GPS knowing you are in CN, it wont communicate with the collar.

Garmin's info is more vague. I am hoping to use this in CN this fall chasing grouse.

Anyone in CN with one of these that can comment for sure?

Fleener

I looked at them hard just months ago, where I live don't have that good of reception, and I try and keep the dogs close, to many wolfs and cats, griz, blacks. My GSP, Hans will be 8 in May Hannah just 8 months, hoping for a litter next spring.
20220213_122330.jpg
20220130_132042.jpg

Attachments

• 20220205_122521.jpg
    20220205_122521.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 23
Back