• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does Your State have a Primitive Deer Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original muzzle loading deer season in Arkansas was intended to be a low pressure event with an expected small number of participants. The first few years (early 1970s) met that goal. Then the dreaded inlines showed up and the whole thing changed. The guys I have seen in the woods with those monstrosities are anything but sportsmen or hunters. It has been a long time since the ml season has been 'primitive'. In fairness, the Game and Fish Commission does not change the regs because they know these early season idjits spend a lot of money on travel, equipment, etc. And, our deer population is out of hand and needs thinning. It used to be fun.

NH does not have a privative season. It has a so called archery and a so called muzzleloader season.

They are not primitive.

It is all about revenue to them. Why the deer crippler season for sharp sticks runs for 3 months I have no idea. The even sell more deer tags to them to cripple even more.

NH F&G SUCKS. With all the money from it has put into the state there is not 1 State owned firearms range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon is similar to Id and Co. Anything that loads from the muzzle, Loose powder only, No scopes, No plastic on or around bullet, Open ignition, No 209s or elect. ignition. Separate mz seasons (draw only) and only one tag per species. Can hunt only one season per species per year.

I've talked to Colorado until i'm blue in the face about having a true primitive season. They think the season is primitive enough and won't listen.

So, I make my own primitive season. I've hunted Colorado for 65 years and know a lot of spots that give me complete solitude. I can set all the restrictions I want for myself and go hunt and not see another hunter. It's a primitive season as far as i'm concerned.

Anybody can do this in any state. As long as you can find solitude.

...any matchlock, flintlock or sidelock muzzleloader loaded with loose black powder or loose BP substitute with patched round ball only and open sights, including tang or peep sights. Rifled or smoothbore, .... A internet search was disappointing with only Georgia coming up. I really believe there are more than one state with a primitive firearm deer season.

Well I think only one calls it "primitive", and the rest call them "muzzleloader seasons". So look for muzzleloading seasons on the internet.
Good luck though as some states have decided a single-shot modern rifle with a "straight walled" cartridge also fit their new definition.
BTW remove "open" prior to "iron sights" as when you include "peep" sights, that's contradictory. ;) "Iron sights" are any sights that don't use an optical enhancer, and you might want to think about some sort of "vision waiver" for folks who can get an eye doctor to sign off on such, as our group is aging, and you might be defeating your purpose before you start. I'd suggest, if you were in my state, since they allow bow to the end of January for deer, that they allow the muzzleloaders as specified above, to that same end date.

LD

Well I think only one calls it "primitive", and the rest call them "muzzleloader seasons". So look for muzzleloading seasons on the internet.
Good luck though as some states have decided a single-shot modern rifle with a "straight walled" cartridge also fit their new definition.
BTW remove "open" prior to "iron sights" as when you include "peep" sights, that's contradictory. ;) "Iron sights" are any sights that don't use an optical enhancer, and you might want to think about some sort of "vision waiver" for folks who can get an eye doctor to sign off on such, as our group is aging, and you might be defeating your purpose before you start. I'd suggest, if you were in my state, since they allow bow to the end of January for deer, that they allow the muzzleloaders as specified above, to that same end date.

LD

LD, thanks for your input. In the petition I sent in, I did include the use of a scope for the visually impaired. Also the open iron sights like peep and tang sights. I listed a few states whose muzzleloader season would qualify as a primitive season based on their restrictions. Thanks for your input.

LD, thanks for your input. In the petition I sent in, I did include the use of a scope for the visually impaired. Also the open iron sights like peep and tang sights. I listed a few states whose muzzleloader season would qualify as a primitive season based on their restrictions. Thanks for your input.
:thumb:
Go Get 'Em!
You might not only look for states where they extend bow season to the end of January but also states where they have problems with large deer herds too. "Increase the overall harvest" or some such selling point might help. The bow hunters can't be that threatened by flintlockers in January since there are so many of them and so few of us by comparison, that the rare sound of our shots would not interfere with them. PLUS at least in my state..., bow hunters get from September 1 to the first Saturday after Thanksgiving to exclusively hunt deer, with a brief 10 day point in October when early ML season opens and closes. So out of roughly 90 days, the first portion of "deer season" they are exclusive for 80 of those days....

LD

LD

Pa. Flint locks only during late season. Hope it dose't change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most state game commissions are trying to make hunting, i.e. license sales more attractive and less restrictive to increase their sales of licenses. I highly doubt any commissions will adopt a new restrictive rule.

One more state, Montana does not have a muzzleloader season. There are certain areas restricted to muzzleloader, shotgun, or archery. In these areas, it must be, loaded from the muzzle, black powder or equivalent, must be ignited by percussion, Flintlock, Match lock, or wheelock. Minimum 45 caliber, no more than two barrels, must use plain lead projectiles. Any muzzleloader can be used in general hunting area, along with any other rifle or archery or just about whatever. Archery is the only thing that gets special attention and has its own five-week season, sometimes requiring a special tag, sometimes you can use any tag. After the arguments I had trying to get lighted nocks during archery season, ( which finally happened), I sincerely doubt that there will ever be a muzzleloader only season. The areas that are restricted use As to muzzleloader, shotgun, or archery are very small, compared To regular hunting districts, and not that many. All are walk in areas. Unless you have ever hunted in Montana and know some of the vast distances between access roads and hunting areas, you would understand why walking areas are not real popular. They are generally areas that are close to farms and roads.
Squint

• Legal Gear for Primitive Firearms Season in Louisiana includes:

• Rifles or pistols, .44 caliber minimum, or shotguns 10 gauge or smaller, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle, use black powder or approved substitute only, take ball, shot, or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
  • Single shot, breech loading rifles or single shot, breech loading pistols, .35 caliber or larger, having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
  • Single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or slug.
The most popular choices here are.35 whelen, 444 marlin, and 45-70, smokeless powder of course. In spite of this I choose to use my TC Hawken because it gives me the most joy and satisfaction.

I think most states have folks that would like a true primitive season. A traditional muzzleloader and archery can share the same part of the season with no problems. Let the inlines hunt the regular rifle season where they should be. I'd love to see this happen here in Texas...

West Virginia has a regular muzzleloading season for any kind of muzzleloaders after normal deer season for one week in December.....but just added a Heritage Hunt for 4 days in Jan started last year, only side locks, flint or percussion, no inlines......also long bows. All old school, 1700s., 18oos style. Deer or Bear.....this year they added sidelock pistols as well......Chuck
To the moderators, if this thread needs to be moved please do so. Hello to all, I live in Indiana. We have a muzzleloading deer season. This includes any muzzleloader from a matchlock to a $10K scoped inline. I'm going to petition our DNR to establish a primitive firearms deer season. A primitive firearm would be
any matchlock, flintlock or sidelock muzzleloader loaded with loose black powder or loose BP substitute with patched round ball only and open sights, including tang or peep sights. Rifled or smoothbore, but no inline of any type. I spoke with one of our deer biologist and he suggested I include any states that already have a primitive firearms season. Especially any state near Indiana in any direction but any state would be helpful. A internet search was disappointing with only Georgia coming up. I really believe there are more than one state with a primitive firearm deer season. So, I'm reaching out to the members of this forum to respond about your states' primitive deer season. Thanks in advance for response.

I think most states have folks that would like a true primitive season. A traditional muzzleloader and archery can share the same part of the season with no problems.
Doubt the archery folks would agree to sharing season with muzzleloaders, traditional or modern. Remember them fighting hard to keep crossbows out of archery season in NY. Crossbows are now legal in NY, but basically treated like a muzzleloader.

Last edited:
Doubt the archery folks would agree to sharing season with muzzleloaders, traditional or modern. Remember them fighting hard to keep crossbows out of archery season in NY. Crossbows are now legal in NY, but basically treated like a muzzleloader.

The Colorado muzzleloader season is right in the middle of the archery season.

The Colorado muzzleloader season is right in the middle of the archery season.
Many state muzzleloading seasons seem to fall in the middle of archery season or between archery season and regular ‘gun’ season. No dispute.

My comment was directed at Stony Broke’s suggestion that traditional muzzleloaders and archery hunters could share the same part of the season. My point with the crossbow hunters was that the archery hunters were strongly opposed to sharing the same part of the season with them - and successful in their argument. And the archery crowd seems to have a much larger impact, politically and economically, than traditional muzzleloaders, just an indisputable observation. Can imagine archery hunter’s argument opposing traditional muzzleloader hunters during archery season would be ‘just hunt during the current muzzleloading season that also allows inlines, they are all muzzleloaders, aren’t they?’ But as repeatedly stated in this topic, traditional muzzleloader hunters don’t want share a season with inline muzzleloaders....
A traditional muzzleloader and archery can share the same part of the season with no problems.
Personally, I just want to know when and what I can hunt with. Actually hunted in three states this past year, successfully, with traditional muzzleloaders during ‘rifle season’. Nobody stopped or impeded me. I also successfully hunted with archery tackle near my house during rifle season, just to avoid drawing attention to myself. It would have been perfectly legal to use a muzzleloader or centerfire, but I know I have some very anti gun/hunting neighbors nearby and do not care to engage them on the topic. Pretty much a no win situation if they hear a gunshot nearby. Could go the suppressor route, but not interested.

My opinion, for what it is worth.

I guess a lot of us have different ways to look at things...and rightfully so. My feelings about a primitive hunting season is basically using primitive weapons. I don't consider an inline as a primitive weapon, but more as a way to stretch things out to get the same results that could be achieved by using a modern centerfire. To me primitive is the key factor in my feelings on this matter.

Many state muzzleloading seasons seem to fall in the middle of archery season or between archery season and regular ‘gun’ season. No dispute.

My comment was directed at Stony Broke’s suggestion that traditional muzzleloaders and archery hunters could share the same part of the season. My point with the crossbow hunters was that the archery hunters were strongly opposed to sharing the same part of the season with them - and successful in their argument. And the archery crowd seems to have a much larger impact, politically and economically, than traditional muzzleloaders, just an indisputable observation. Can imagine archery hunter’s argument opposing traditional muzzleloader hunters during archery season would be ‘just hunt during the current muzzleloading season that also allows inlines, they are all muzzleloaders, aren’t they?’ But as repeatedly stated in this topic, traditional muzzleloader hunters don’t want share a season with inline muzzleloaders....

Personally, I just want to know when and what I can hunt with. Actually hunted in three states this past year, successfully, with traditional muzzleloaders during ‘rifle season’. Nobody stopped or impeded me. I also successfully hunted with archery tackle near my house during rifle season, just to avoid drawing attention to myself. It would have been perfectly legal to use a muzzleloader or centerfire, but I know I have some very anti gun/hunting neighbors nearby and do not care to engage them on the topic. Pretty much a no win situation if they hear a gunshot nearby. Could go the suppressor route, but not interested.

My opinion, for what it is worth.

As an avid archery hunter AND BP hunter, I wouldn't care for sharing my archery elk season with muzzleloader season, but mainly for safety concerns. Archery hunters always hunt in full camo and are running around in the elk woods in September calling like an elk. We all know where that would eventually lead for some of the, ahem, fools out there. But honestly, if it were a true traditional BP season that was flint/caplock only and PRB only, then it wouldn't bother me near as much as doing it with a more open "inline ok" type of BP season. Hell, I'd have a heck of a time deciding which I was going to use. Perhaps I'm wrong but I believe there would be much more problems with sharing a season if the type of folks that pick up a muzzleloader for the simple reason of extending their season were also out there at the same time. Those types won't bother with it if it is a season that only allows "those stupid old style ones that are a pain to clean, hard to get accuracy out of, and can only shoot a 100 yards". Or perhaps they would, but with the first materials they found on the shelf at the local Cabela's and what they got for accuracy was just the "way it is".

But I do wish my state would offer a true traditional BP season during the rut, they could easily do so in specific units or even split some units up, which they do for some draw-only hunts already, if they didn't want to run them right with the archery folks.
I also enjoy hunting during any weapons season with my sidelock, I wouldn't be able to get in much BP hunting if I didn't.
It comes down to simple numbers, we are a very declining portion of the hunting crowd. In most cases they aren't going to make 5% happy and p*ss off the other 95%. Most game departments are all about revenue these day anyway.

Back