• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does your state have a Flintlock ONLY season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Maryland has a season they call primitive days or something like that. I looked into it but havnt gotten there to hunt it. I , like you feel very grateful for our PA flintlock season. I will never forget the first Buck I ever killed. The day after Christmas with a .54 caliber Lanc. Co. Longrifle. Have been hooked since. Matter of fact I never hunted deer until I moved to PA. It was always rabbit and squirrel. Beagles and coonhounds was the family tradition.
James

The really dumb thing is that it’s flintlock and archery, and archery is totally unrestricted, so you can use a flintlock with open sights, or any type of bow including a crossbow with a scope. Would be better if the archers were also restricted to traditional weapons.

Other than that it’s my favorite season!

I,ve been sayin that for years.Their season is long enough already.They shouldn,t be infringing on ours.

For what kind of game? Larger game like Elk, moose, bear?? Or small game such as squirrel or rabbit?
Pretty sure its deer only. You can also use your Buck tag to kill a buck or doe anywhere in the state. No management unit restrictions. The rest of the year a.doe tag is specific to a WMU. Wildlife management unit. If that explains what Im tryin to say.
James

Like House said, in Missouri our ML season has turned into "Alternative Methods" season which means you can use just about anything but a centerfire rifle. My nextdoor neighbor shot this buck at 221 yards with a 6.5 Grendel "pistol" during Alternative Methods season. Please explain to me how that is different than using a centerfire rifle. The whole thing is ridiculous!
sNlqV54.jpg

Darren

The PA flintlock season after Christmas is for deer
When I first started hunting deer it was in PA in the late 1960s and there were no special flintlock or muzzleloader seasons. There was just deer season. Guys had all kinds of guns, old and new. Muzzleloaders used were originals, no reproductions. Plenty of original blackpowder cartridge guns. I showed up with what I had, a 12 gauge made in the early 1900s. Was offered use of two guns, a 73 Winchester in 44-40 and a modern Winchester 94 (1950 vintage). My uncle told me that if I could hit a Gibbons can at some unknown distance on my first shot with the 94, the gun was mine. Still have the gun. Great time to be a kid. Guess things have changed for the modern contemporary hunter since the ‘good old days’ with these special seasons.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like PA might be the only one. I agree with Mtnman and LeftHandGuy, using sabots is not really traditional, so there are some inconsistencies. Nonetheless, I’m thankful for the flintlock season we have here in PA. I’ve participated in it for 23 years now. And I love it for a few reasons:
1. I love flintlock muzzleloaders
2. Another opportunity to fill a deer tag
3. I’m always off work between Christmas and New Year
4. Decent chance of snow on the ground
5. Not too many people in the woods
6. When I do see a fellow hunter, it’s someone who shares the traditional hobby

I live in PA. I got a doe in muzzlelaoding season with my Enfield 1853.

Went out a few days for Flintlock, saw a few bucks (and does) but I never had a good shot that I felt comfortable taking

Next year I’ll try it again.

Much more enjoyable then regular deer season.

And I feel a lot more safer. A lot less idiots out there.

vermont claims that a muzzle loader fires a single projectile, cannot load from the breech without the use of tools, and does not use 'smokeless powder.' Also must be longer than 10 inches and must be at least .43 caliber.

this is what happens when you have people who know next to nothing about the subject at hand in charge of regulating the subject at hand.

Latest posts

Back