• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does your state have a Flintlock ONLY season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the fish wildlife and parks actually didn't do too bad in Montana or regulations on special muzzleloader areas and seasons. I copied what is in our regulations — Posted it down below.
Squint
Muzzleloader Heritage Hunting Season Lawful Weapons 87-1-304(9): Plain lead projectiles and a muzzleloading rifle that is charged with loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or an equivalent loose black powder substitute, and ignited by a flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock, or percussion mechanism using a percussion or musket cap. The muzzleloading rifle must be a minimum of .45 caliber and may not have more than two barrels. Additionally, 87-6-401(1), a hunter may not use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel, is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device. Use of prepared paper or metallic cartridges, sabots, gas checks, or other similar power and range-enhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifling or bore of the firearm is also prohibited.

I was not aware of WV's primitive season, but growing up in PA and now (finally) living within a day's easy drive, I do enjoy the flintlock only season for the same reasons described above. This year in MI, our DNR allowed modern calibers during our muzzleloader season in the part of the state where I live/hunt, but I'm not sure if this was a one-off or if it'll repeat.

No, Utah Wildlife Resources sucks in that regard. What Utah refers to, in regards to a muzzleloader season, is "Primitive Weapon". Yeah, right. Utah allows in-line, sealed breech muzzleloaders, those plastic cuppy things with a pistol bullet and scopes of any magnification the hunter wants. Pelletized powder too. I wish the state would put those weapons in with the regular unmentionable weapon hunt and reserve the muzzleloader season for side hammer, round ball guns only. I wouldn't even mind if percussion guns were allowed. Utah's muzzleloader deer season ceased to be a primitive weapons hunt more than 30 years ago.

We have an early muzzleloader season for deer in Kansas. Generally mid September. All ignition systems, including unmentionables, can be used as long as you’re shooting .40 caliber lead. There are also muzzleloader seasons for elk (September) and pronghorn (first of October) if you’re lucky enough. Muzzleloaders can be used during the firearms seasons as well.

As stated above, Missouri used to have a muzzle loader season. Now we have a "Primitive Weapons" season. I think they just wanted to lump everyone into one pile that isn't using centerfire rifles. Here's the list of acceptable methods:

◾ Muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms, .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge. In-lines and scopes are allowed. ◾ Multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns (see definition on Page 65), including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger, are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle. ◾ Centerfire handguns (see definition on Page 65) using expanding-type bullets such as lead or copper ◾ Air-powered guns, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high-compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor) ◾ Air bows ◾ Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw weight. Hand-held string-releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights are allowed. ◾ Crossbows ◾ Atlatls Prohibited

Although atlatls are prohibited in this portion of the season, you can use them in archery season. And yes, there have been deer taken with atlatls in Missouri.

Back