• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does your state have a Flintlock ONLY season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Louisiana, no "just" flintlock season. In fact, Louisiana calls it "primitive firearms" season which allows any sort of muzzleloading weapon including slug shotguns (min. caliber .44) and also single shot breech loaders like 45-70 (min. cal. .35). Thus, it ain't a flintlock only season here.

NH has an early muzzleloader season, but requires a separate permit from your regular hunting license. The muzzleloader permit doesn't come with a tag, so if you shoot a deer in the early season you're done.

In Pa. you also have to buy a m/loader tag.Your only allowed 1 Antlered Deer per year in all seasons combined but allowed as many a/less Deer as long as you have the tags.Like said earlier we can use an unused Antlered tag for a a/less Deer anywhere in the state that is just for f/locks in our specific season.

Like House said, in Missouri our ML season has turned into "Alternative Methods" season which means you can use just about anything but a centerfire rifle. My nextdoor neighbor shot this buck at 221 yards with a 6.5 Grendel "pistol" during Alternative Methods season. Please explain to me how that is different than using a centerfire rifle. The whole thing is ridiculous!
sNlqV54.jpg

Darren

Its called a "loophole" (that needs to be closed) :cool:

In NY State, I live in the northern zone, there is an early muzzleloader season, 7 days long. Opens on a Saturday and closes on the following Friday, mid October. If the gun loads from the front and doesn't have a self contained metallic cartridge, you're good to go. Also needs a muzzleloader tag. Late muzzleloader season in my area is the same, with the ability to use previously unused tags.

Seems like when I started hunting with a muzzleloader, it was was non scoped, side lock guns. Now, the regs allow smokeless powder guns that load from the muzzle, modern polymer tipped projectiles, whatever power scope you choose. Essentially, a single shot modern gun, that loads slow.

Arkansas went to the dogs when they started allowing in-lines. I admire PA's flintlock only season. The only gun I hunt with is a .62 caliber rifled flinter. I don't care if it's modern season. My last hunt was 5 years ago. Unfortunately, my health has gotten to the point that dragging a deer out of the woods is next to impossible. I'm looking to buy a used utility vehicle and a trailer.

I'm in CA. No flintlock only season here. No ML season either. Closest thing we have are lottery-based ML hunts where just about anything goes equipment-wise. It's CA -- we love our tech, I guess. We also have to use to lead-free projectiles when hunting, just like centerfires. Kind of a pain but less so once I got setup to cast bismuth round ball.

I don't mind that inlines are allowed during the dedicated ML hunts. It all still has to be done with open sights. And with our lead-free restrictions, sabot rounds are about the only lead-free option available at sporting goods stores.

I'm actively working to get a special deer tag issued for those using traditional methods (traditional archery or sidelock MLs). But we'll see how that all goes. The rifle guys I've ran it by just seem to want to make the killing easier, not harder. And the archery guys (compound) don't want to share the privilege they already enjoy with anybody else (we have special Archery Only tags). That's people for ya.

Just so I’m not misleading anyone here. Tennessee’s ML season has no “type” restrictions. It can be inline, side hammer, under hammer, or whatever. Just has to be incapable of loading from the breach and a minimum of 36 cal.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Maryland added a primitive season last year. It runs Feb 1,2,3 and is open to sidelocks as well as recurves an longbows. We also have 2 additional muzzleloading seasons when any ignition system is allowed, but still must be loaded from the front.

Not in Arkansas. And our original concept for a muzzle loading season is no more. The inlines have taken over.
Sad to hear! inclines/209s are modern rifles and can shoot crazy distances accurately. Ruins it for us traditional hunters

Back