• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does Thompson Center make a 45 cal. barrel in flintlock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as current production, you can have any caliber you want...as long as it's .50.

What gun are you talking about? TC no longer makes or provides parts for side locks as far as I know. They did offer .45 caliber barrels in the Cherokee and Seneca...all cap locks. They also had some .45 caliber Hawkens, but I don't know if they offered them in flint. They did build flintlock Hawkens, so it's possible.

Maybe Cowboy or Bubba50 will chime in here. They are our resident TC experts. I'm just kind of operating from my old guy memory, which can be dangerous. :dunno:

I see cap - but not flinter.. I want to change out barrels if possible ...
thanks for any help...
thom
They did in the early years; I had a four digit serial number Hawken model in .45 at one time. However, by at least the 1988 catalog they were no longer showing any rifles or accessory barrels in flintlock that were anything but .50 caliber.

OK thanks guys - it is a Hawken.. I saw a Green Mnt. barrel listed- but alas and alack - it was a cap gun barrel... and so it goes... So rocklock 50. she stays... thom

Between dragnetbill and now,Tom Compton, I would definitely say, Yes! TC did indeed make a .45 in flintlock.

One thing I did notice though, was that dragnetbill says his had a 4 digit serial number while Tom acquired his in 1973? Both are indeed early!

I want to thank both you gentlemen for the education!

Respectfully, Cowboy

I see cap - but not flinter.. I want to change out barrels if possible ...
thanks for any help...
thom

I still have my 45 cal Flint TC Hawken that I purchased in the 70's in the safe and I know of at least a couple of other 45 cal Hawken flinters in use.
Plus I have a 45 cal Hawken flint barrel project on my bench. See photo.

Pennsylvania Opened it's first flintlock only deer season in 1974 and has had one ever since. Possibly why we see more flintlock rifles in the state. Thanks
45 haw.jpg

I still have my 45 cal Flint TC Hawken that I purchased in the 70's in the safe and I know of at least a couple of other 45 cal Hawken flinters in use.

Pennsylvania Opened it's first flintlock only deer season in 1974 and has had one ever since. Possibly why we see more flintlock rifles in the state. Thanks
View attachment 19863
And there it is!!

Thank you for sharing my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

All you need is a Thompson Center flint breech plug . The 15/16" plug, flint or percussion will fit any .45 or .50 cal Thompson 15/16" barrel . No flint barrels were ever made by Thompson Center, just flint breech plugs . The barrel pictured above is flint because it has the flint breech plug .

All you need is a Thompson Center flint breech plug . The 15/16" plug, flint or percussion will fit any .45 or .50 cal Thompson 15/16" barrel . No flint barrels were ever made by Thompson Center, just flint breech plugs . The barrel pictured above is flint because it has the flint breech plug .
bubba.50 stated that he seen a conversion kit for these years ago on Ebay in original TC packaging. Mzzlldrinpa stated that he had a kit gun .45 flinter.

My only question would be did Mzzlldrinpa buy that kit directly from TC or did he buy a completed kit gun from a private party that had already been assembled?

Everyone see what I’m getting at?

Respectfully, Cowboy

There are two different TC Hawken topics running simultaneously. One is T/C Hawken Rifle Changes, located in the percussion section of this forum. The other is this one, Does Thompson Center make a .45 cal. In flintlock? Located right here in the General Muzzleloading section.

OldRust is describing a conversion kit that was packaged up with his new TC Hawken rifle in the Hawken Rifle Changes topic.

From what I can gather is that maybe at one time TC sent out a breech plug installed on their rifles with a drum for percussion and vent liner for flintlock? Of course both type lock’s would also have to be included?

Anyway, The bottom line is that TC did have a .45 caliber option in flintlock or could be converted to flintlock.

That was the crux of the OP’s question.

Respectfully, Cowboy

There are two different TC Hawken topics running simultaneously. One is T/C Hawken Rifle Changes, located in the percussion section of this forum. The other is this one, Does Thompson Center make a .45 cal. In flintlock? Located right here in the General Muzzleloading section.

OldRust is describing a conversion kit that was packaged up with his new TC Hawken rifle in the Hawken Rifle Changes topic.

From what I can gather is that maybe at one time TC sent out a breech plug installed on their rifles with a drum for percussion and vent liner for flintlock? Of course both type lock’s would also have to be included?

Anyway, The bottom line is that TC did have a .45 caliber option in flintlock or could be converted to flintlock.

That was the crux of the OP’s question.

Respectfully, Cowboy

The conversion kit I mentioned was a drum that screwed in in place of the vent liner and a percussion lock with the proper notch for the drum. And they were in the familiar yellow & black TC packaging.

View attachment 19863
Just got done searching through my photo archives for pictures of the one I had; apparently after selling the rifle I had one of those why do I still have these photos moments.....delete. Too bad, would have liked to have shown it, it was a fine looking rifle.

I have one that I picked up this year. 6XXXX no K, came with a T/C vernier type tang sight.

Back