• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone recognize this lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20210126_160701.jpg

This is a lock I'm altering to fit the stock and barrel on this gun I picked up, since it doesn't fit well.

The lock is obviously a knock off of one of the old historic warranted locks, but does anyone know the company that made this one, and/or the model?

I am looking to heat and bend this hammer slightly, and would like to locate a replacement part in case I ruin the hammer my first try.

I've been drawing a blank on the company name for 2 weeks. And no online searches are turning up any results.

Also, does anyone possibly have an extra hammer for one?

Can you remove the lock and show a picture of the internals? I have one that looks the same on the outside but I suspect many others are also similar. An inside view could help.

The hammer to cap geometry looks like it's pretty decent.
Why are you bending the hammer?
Is that to get it away from the wood on the stock where it is rubbing? Are you wanting to bend the spur for (please say no) scope?
It's a simple task to just relieve the wood a bit to give it some clearance, or maybe even file a bit off the back of the hammer.
I'll bet if you bend that hammer you are going to have a major issue with alignment where it strikes the nipple.

If the hammer is landing on the right side of the nipple and the hammer is rubbing against the stock, then relieve the wood some where it is rubbing the stock. The hammer will then hit a little more to the left and will be free of interference of rubbing the stock.
You probably will not need to bend the hammer.

I checked again in case I'm wrong. But the hammer is not rubbing on the wood.

Its a 50 caliber stock and lock, .36 caliber barrel. The barrel was drilled by hand evidently, so that the keys fit, but the previous owner apparently was unable to do anything about the hammer.

All of this has actually been discussed in the general muzzleloading forum under "tinkering on junk."

I'm really just trying to ID the lock at this point. I posted over here hoping someome would recognize the lock and help me in my search for a spare part.

No. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the lock and stock were built together to begin with.

Hammer drops fast and with sufficient force. If it was rubbing, then that would be an additional ignition problem.

How about some pics of the rest of the rifle, maybe some one will recognize the maker.

Well it wouldn't really help much. It's a .50 caliber stock for sure, I can tell that much because the ramrod for the .36 caliber barrel slides out when you tip the gun south of horizontal. So had to install a spring catch to put tension on it. The hammer was not built for this barrel for sure. Just doesn't line up with the nipple. But such an accurate rifle, I figured I could do something for it. It's a squirrel killer for sure. Just needs one last thing fixed.

The lock and stock may have actually been mates though. But its hard to tell I know nothing of the guns history before it was in my hands, other than coming from a basement build somewhere along the lines: that much was obvious since the guy drilled holes in barrel for stock keys instead of dovetailing and ordering the proper pieces.

I'm a really big squirrel hunter and am hoping to make this gun into an accurate rifle that I can hunt a lot with and not worry about banging up.
20210130_192035.jpg

Dern thing shoots good for sure, when it does go off. Just this damn hammer not landing square.

I would dremmel it out as suggested, but I would like to find a replacement hammer and try bending first. And dremmel as a last resort. It's off center enough that I just don't have much metal to dremmel out. Bending is actually a better option. Just need to find out the company and model number of lock so I can start searching the auctions online every couple weeks.

Looking at the patchbox, Ultra-Hi comes to mind. However it should be a two piece stock. Does the lockplate seat solidly against the barrel?

Lock plate is snug against barrel. Can't go any farther so can't really relieve the wood. However, it's a thick lock plate, I'd have to check internals, but its very possible I could mill down the inside of lock plate and align it that way. But I don't have a mill and obviously I'd have to get it apart and look at internals again before I do something like that.

My strategy so far is:

1: get a replacement hammer.
2: try to heat and bend old hammer

And if that doesn't work:

3: dremmel out new hammer and pray I can make a striking surface out of that slim bit of metal

4: locate someone to make a custom hammer.

Back