• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone recognize this lock? I need a new mainspring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
Think Italian reproduction Kentucky squirrel rifle manufactured in the late sixties or early seventies. This was a wall hanger at my parents house and I have been fixing it up until the main spring snapped on me. Hopefully someone can recognize the make. It says made in Italy the only other marking is the stamping of the number 85
20230430_001705.jpg
20230430_001729.jpg

It’s an older Kentuckian rifle by pedersoli. Dixie Gun Works might have a drop in spring available. Springs for these are not difficult to make
I am going to put the feelers out and see if I can find a spring. I definitely have the skills necessary to make a spring I do a lot of amateur blacksmithing. So I'm familiar with the heat treat process and all. Been watching YouTube videos on how to make one. I'm not in any huge hurry with this project the gun has been in the family since the late sixties are really seventies. I shot it once or twice when I was a teenager did a rudimentary cleaning job and hung it back on the mantle. The bore is in surprisingly good condition considering the Primitive cleaning job I did. I think it would be very satisfying to start making Flintlock parts. I'm getting hooked already just watching YouTube videos.

Well I couldn't find one anywhere. Looks like I'm going to make one. It will be a good skill to have. I already ordered some 1/8 in thick 1075. I am looking forward to the experience

I have made many springs and found after hardening, tempering in the lead pot at 600 degrees works best. Soak an hour and put on pot edge to cool when you shut it off. My springs have not broken in 30 years of use.

I have made many springs and found after hardening, tempering in the lead pot at 600 degrees works best. Soak an hour and put on pot edge to cool when you shut it off. My springs have not broken in 30 years of use.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a lead pot so that will work out perfectly

Back