• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone own one of those Traditions/Pietta Buffalo revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone owns one of those long barreled brass framed Pietta made "Buffalo" revolvers? I am also interested to know how you like it and how it shoots? Thank you in advance.

I don't have a brass frame Buffalo, but I do have a stainless one I've put a few rounds through. The trigger on mine isn't the best, but that can be worked on easily enough. I haven't "benched" it or anything, but accuracy offhand seems to be on par with most of my other NMA's. It will be, of course, a bit front heavy compared to the standard 8" NMA.

You will of course also see a nice increase in velocities with the longer barrel.

I did recently pick up a new brass frame Traditions 8" NMA, and that thing has to be one of the most accurate pistols I've had - very impressed with how well the thing shoots. Maybe I just got a good one, but I was really happy with how well it shot.

Here's a little video I made with my stainless "Buffalo".

I don't have a brass frame Buffalo, but I do have a stainless one I've put a few rounds through. The trigger on mine isn't the best, but that can be worked on easily enough. I haven't "benched" it or anything, but accuracy offhand seems to be on par with most of my other NMA's. It will be, of course, a bit front heavy compared to the standard 8" NMA.

You will of course also see a nice increase in velocities with the longer barrel.

I did recently pick up a new brass frame Traditions 8" NMA, and that thing has to be one of the most accurate pistols I've had - very impressed with how well the thing shoots. Maybe I just got a good one, but I was really happy with how well it shot.

Here's a little video I made with my stainless "Buffalo".

I'd love one of those....actually I'd remove my left testicle for a Ruger Old Army in stainless...Ahhh one can dream.

I'd love one of those....actually I'd remove my left testicle for a Ruger Old Army in stainless...Ahhh one can dream.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker - I've found some pretty nice stuff on there. That's where I found that stainless Buffalo for what I think was a decent price. Although, like everything else that goes "bang", the prices on BP stuff on there has seen a bit of an uptick recently, but every now and again you can find something for a reasonable price.

But if the current brass frame Buffalos shoot as good as the 8" brass frame I picked up, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in having one - they aren't too expensive, either.

Those brass frame Texas and Buffalo '58 Rems have been around forever , I just saw a pic where the cops found one during a drug bust , like that was some meth heads stash piece lol

I'm curious if anyone owns one of those long barreled brass framed Pietta made "Buffalo" revolvers? I am also interested to know how you like it and how it shoots? Thank you in advance.
Are you looking for the Remington Buffalo/Texas or the Pietta Wyatt Earp (Colt) revolver? The Remington is out of stock though Dixie has the Colt version on sale, still in stock.

I grabbed the Pietta Wyatt Earp one today. I think I am going to do a dual barrel on my 1860 army steel frame and make a 1860 army brass frame with the extra 1860 barrel that I have.

I grabbed the Pietta Wyatt Earp one today. I think I am going to do a dual barrel on my 1860 army steel frame and make a 1860 army brass frame with the extra 1860 barrel that I have.
Some original Colts like the Paterson could be ordered with 2 barrels , I just saw an original with a 12" and a 5" barrel....I guess a "hunting " and a "carry" setup?

Yea I want to get the stock for for 12” setup and use it as a carbine! I think it could take some pigs or small whitetails within 50 yards. And I think it looks pretty cool!
6D12ADA5-0D3F-41FE-B224-5054CA8034C2.jpeg

You are going to look long and hard for a shoulder stock during these pandemic times: Pietta is simply not making them. Even a year ago they were going for $275-$325, depending upon the vendor. The one you show is for a 3-screw revolver: it comes with an extended two-headed hammer screw that the stock yoke lugs lock onto.

There is also a difference in the length of the J-hook and its housing. The Navy has a shorter grip than the Army grip, so they don't interchange between the revolvers.

1860 Army

1861 Navy

1858 Remington

Shoulder Stock Types.jpg

This is my ASM 1860 Army Full-fluted cylinder .44.

!ASM 1860 001.jpg

Regards,

Jim

You are going to look long and hard for a shoulder stock during these pandemic times: Pietta is simply not making them. Even a year ago they were going for $275-$325, depending upon the vendor. The one you show is for a 3-screw revolver: it comes with an extended two-headed hammer screw that the stock yoke lugs lock onto.

There is also a difference in the length of the J-hook and its housing. The Navy has a shorter grip than the Army grip, so they don't interchange between the revolvers.

1860 Army

1861 Navy

1858 Remington

View attachment 58191

This is my ASM 1860 Army Full-fluted cylinder .44.

View attachment 58192

Regards,

Jim

I have a second generation Colt 1860 and a stock for it. I saw some of sourdough's pictures of his various revolvers with attached stocks, and then got the idea that I wanted an 1851 with a stock.

Sourdough mentioned that no one was making an 1851 with machining and screws for attaching a stock, but Uberti makes an 1861 set up like that. If I bought two revolvers, an 1851 and an 1861 of the same make, manufactured after they started using CNC machining, I should be able to swap the barrels back and fourth and have a either an 1851 or 1561 revolver with shoulder stock. I immediately bought one of each, and the 1851 was a "Sheriff's Model" with a 5" barrel, which is what I wanted, but I would have shortened a standard barrel if I had to.

One final problem remained; the J-hook for the 1851/1861 is about 3/8" shorter than for the 1860. I figured I could make a new, shorter J-hook that would fit the shorter grip, and then my one and only stock would fit on an 1851, 1860, or 1861 revolver.

It worked just as I had hoped.
20200926_084003.jpg

Here is the 1860 mounted in the stock, with the original J-hook.

100_6763.JPG

I scribed out the pattern for a new, shorter J-hook on a piece of 3/16 (IIRC) piece of steel from my scrap bin.

20201013_150321.jpg

Here is the gun with the short 1851 barrel, mounted in the 1860 stock. I later hot blued the J-hook, but I don't have a picture after I blued it yet.

z100_6768.JPG

And here it is with the 1861 barrel installed.

Back