• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone one have a chunck gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tn poor boy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Id like find more out about chunk guns. Any information at all would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well You are entering a unique world of fun loving shooters, Its mostly 60 yards over the log at your 'Bud' aiming mark which can bear little relationship to your point of impact . It seems de Rigeur to wear bib and brace overalls (Handy to tuck your gun up into to hold while you load )And have a good understanding of 'Hawg' rearing . The rifles are made with what could be called" a reverse vanity' the ugly er the better , Even leave the forging scale on the barrel which is inordinately long heavy and ill suited to any BUT over the log Chunk gun matches, invariably involving meat of some sort as prizes . I found them what I consider the elite of shooting gentlemen quite in a league of their own .Good on them .How you would find such a group ? I cant say but could start by asking Ohio pig farmers or the NMLRA
. Rudyard

Well You are entering a unique world of fun loving shooters, Its mostly 60 yards over the log at your 'Bud' aiming mark which can bear little relationship to your point of impact . It seems de Rigeur to wear bib and brace overalls (Handy to tuck your gun up into to hold while you load )And have a good understanding of 'Hawg' rearing . The rifles are made with what could be called" a reverse vanity' the ugly er the better , Even leave the forging scale on the barrel which is inordinately long heavy and ill suited to any BUT over the log Chunk gun matches, invariably involving meat of some sort as prizes . I found them what I consider the elite of shooting gentlemen quite in a league of their own .Good on them .How you would find such a group ? I cant say but could start by asking Ohio pig farmers or the NMLRA
. Rudyard
Thanks Rudyard for the in sight

Yes I’ve got a chunk gun built around a .50 slow twist Ed Rayl barrel 1.5” across the flats and 48” long. It comes in at 24 pounds. It has a side slapper or mule ear lock. I’m still learning and my eyes are not what they were but it is capable of anything.

I changed the text in the original post to clarify it.

It isn't exactly a chunk gun but one rifle I built could be used in matches that allow percussion locks.

That 1 inch across the flats X 42 inch length straight octagon barrel makes this gun so heavy that shooting it off of a chunk or resting my support arm on a table is about the only way I can shoot it.
south4.jpg

Read Walter Cline's book, he has a section on "over the log" shooting, and some photos of the shooters and their rifles. Granted, the info id dated, but valid.

I especially liked where he says last place shooter got to chop the lead bullets from the stump they shot into.... no one left empty handed.

I changed the text in the original post to clarify it.

It isn't exactly a chunk gun but one rifle I built could be used in matches that allow percussion locks.

That 1 inch across the flats X 42 inch length straight octagon barrel makes this gun so heavy that shooting it off of a chunk or resting my support arm on a table is about the only way I can shoot it.
View attachment 55465
Thanks mr zonie

Since it seems the chunk gun had quite a following during the last depression, it seems that it may be an outstanding pastime for us during the present difficulties. I'm already a wearer of overalls and think a rifle should be a shooter first and a beauty second.

Here over in northwest ga we held a chunk gun match this weekend. Alvin york shoot is march 27, pall mall tn at the state park.

The history of chunk/over the log shooting doesn't go back as far as some traditional matches.....but it certainly has a robust history in the south. As modern weaponry (smokeless/cartridge) became commonplace, muzzleloaders started transitioning to target only matches around the mid to late 1800's, and the guns slowly transitioned to very heavy/long target rifles. Due to the size and weight of the rifles, prone became the normal shooting position to allow everyone regardless of age, weight, and sex to compete since the weight of the rifle is supported by the "chunk". Chunk matches are a slow, methodical match meant to promote fellowship throughout consisting of only 10 targets total with a few warm up shots. The targets are shot one-at-a-time in "relays" and traditionally retrieved and turned in with each "relay". Here's where the fellowship (insert ribbing and general banter) as all competitors walk to and fro retrieving targets and setting the next relay target. For anyone familiar with the movie "Sergent York", you get the idea. The York Memorial Tournament that several of us shoot in March of every year.

While "chunk" is a recognized event with the NMLRA (and I encourage all to read the official rules) chunk is officially shot at 60 yards and we will be doing it at 50 for logistics reasons. You will be given a packet of 10 targets with a 4" scoring ring and 2" bull. The targets are shot individually and your score for each target will be the measured distance of shot center to the target center. Match score is all 10 targets added together....lowest number wins. so target number, name, and caliber will be the only info we use. Anything not touching the outer ring (or paper) is scored 2.5".

Any traditional muzzleloading black powder rifle is allowed shooting Patched Round Ball only. Sidelocks, underhammer, flint, percussion, mule ear, etc. NO INLINES or BPC.Traditional open sight only. Hooded front pins/posts/blades allowed but no insert style sights. The rear sight must be open top and barrel mounted. No peeps, scopes, ladder, vernier, etc allowedSight shaders are permittedThe front of the rifle may be supported by a block rest (bench) or chunk, the rifle must be able to move freely on the rest and the rear of the rifle must be supported by the shooter."Cant Blocks" mounted to the rifle barrel are permittedNo False MuzzlesSpotter targets are allowed (and advised). A spotter target is whatever YOU prefer to shoot at 50 yards for maximum accuracy. Absolutely anything within reason. You will position the scoring target behind your spotter and pin/staple where you think your next shot will center the "X". As an example, my preferred spotter attached.....just a 6" red ring.

Here over in northwest ga we held a chunk gun match this weekend. Alvin york shoot is march 27, pall mall tn at the state park.

The history of chunk/over the log shooting doesn't go back as far as some traditional matches.....but it certainly has a robust history in the south. As modern weaponry (smokeless/cartridge) became commonplace, muzzleloaders started transitioning to target only matches around the mid to late 1800's, and the guns slowly transitioned to very heavy/long target rifles. Due to the size and weight of the rifles, prone became the normal shooting position to allow everyone regardless of age, weight, and sex to compete since the weight of the rifle is supported by the "chunk". Chunk matches are a slow, methodical match meant to promote fellowship throughout consisting of only 10 targets total with a few warm up shots. The targets are shot one-at-a-time in "relays" and traditionally retrieved and turned in with each "relay". Here's where the fellowship (insert ribbing and general banter) as all competitors walk to and fro retrieving targets and setting the next relay target. For anyone familiar with the movie "Sergent York", you get the idea. The York Memorial Tournament that several of us shoot in March of every year.

While "chunk" is a recognized event with the NMLRA (and I encourage all to read the official rules) chunk is officially shot at 60 yards and we will be doing it at 50 for logistics reasons. You will be given a packet of 10 targets with a 4" scoring ring and 2" bull. The targets are shot individually and your score for each target will be the measured distance of shot center to the target center. Match score is all 10 targets added together....lowest number wins. so target number, name, and caliber will be the only info we use. Anything not touching the outer ring (or paper) is scored 2.5".

Any traditional muzzleloading black powder rifle is allowed shooting Patched Round Ball only. Sidelocks, underhammer, flint, percussion, mule ear, etc. NO INLINES or BPC.Traditional open sight only. Hooded front pins/posts/blades allowed but no insert style sights. The rear sight must be open top and barrel mounted. No peeps, scopes, ladder, vernier, etc allowedSight shaders are permittedThe front of the rifle may be supported by a block rest (bench) or chunk, the rifle must be able to move freely on the rest and the rear of the rifle must be supported by the shooter."Cant Blocks" mounted to the rifle barrel are permittedNo False MuzzlesSpotter targets are allowed (and advised). A spotter target is whatever YOU prefer to shoot at 50 yards for maximum accuracy. Absolutely anything within reason. You will position the scoring target behind your spotter and pin/staple where you think your next shot will center the "X". As an example, my preferred spotter attached.....just a 6" red ring.
Do you just show ip to shoot. Or do have to sign up somewhere

Do you just show ip to shoot. Or do have to sign up somewhere
I will let my coordinator of this match reply. He has been shooting it for years. 60 competitors or more? He will chime in as i used his writeup to describe it. No plagarism here!

I don't have a CHUNCK GUN, but I have a 75 CAL, FLINTLOCK, RIFELD, RED CHIEF'S SPECIAL THAT WEIGHT'S IN AT 28 LBS. it is just to heavy to shoulders, it is a WALL GUN.

I'll be at the Alvin York come the end of March at Pall Mall. I would say it's the largest chunk gun match in the world. I saw that you mentioned Morristown. If you are from around there you are only 2 1/2 hrs away. With that said I've only been doing chunk gun for a few years. I built mine following a more traditional pattern....very loosely a copy of one by Elbert Bible. 1 1/8" Rice barrel 44" long and only weighs 14 1/2 lbs. Take time and come visit.
IMG_20180426_095622.jpg

I'll be at the Alvin York come the end of March at Pall Mall. I would say it's the largest chunk gun match in the world. I saw that you mentioned Morristown. If you are from around there you are only 2 1/2 hrs away. With that said I've only been doing chunk gun for a few years. I built mine following a more traditional pattern....very loosely a copy of one by Elbert Bible. 1 1/8" Rice barrel 44" long and only weighs 14 1/2 lbs. Take time and come visit.View attachment 66917
Im hoping to get to come i live in Knoxville

Back