• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone know who does charcoal bluing ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s funny how life works the knowledge we have now we really needed to pave our future When we were younger . Why does it have to be like that….

Perhaps I will just leave it be and let the bluing on the hole gun just naturally wear off, it’s going to get like that anyway . It just bothers me that the bluing on the cylinder is streaked and the rest of the gun is pristine looking. I just don’t want to go dumping more money into a repro pistol for the sake of vanity, you know what I mean.

I do it all the time, my process looks much more black and is consistent and very durable though. I often have my students do it on metal projects they make in my University classes. here are a pair of marking gauges we did last year. One is all charcoal but, the other has a color casehardened base plate and charcoal Blued barrel.

Attachments

• 20201119_093029.jpg
    20201119_093029.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201119_093038.jpg
    20201119_093038.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201119_093025.jpg
    20201119_093025.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201119_093018.jpg
    20201119_093018.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 58
I agree with a couple of the other guys, charcoal blue is fairly durable. What I’ve seen on some replicas is more of a niter blue, and that can be easily done in mass production. Here is the first test piece that I tried before doing a revolver. It required a oven at 800* and wood charcoal.
IMG_0241 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0400 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I agree with a couple of the other guys, charcoal blue is fairly durable. What I’ve seen on some replicas is more of a niter blue, and that can be easily done in mass production. Here is the first test piece that I tried before doing a revolver. It required a oven at 800* and wood charcoal.
IMG_0241 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0400 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Where did you find an 800 degree oven?

I used to have a Uberti Walker with the charcoal blued finish, I agree with what was said above that it was more of a nitre blue and not a true charcoal blue. If you have access to a heat treatment furnace the process is really not that difficult. I polish my pieces to 400 grit, degrease, and pack in straight wood charcoal of the type sold by Brownells. They are sealed in welded up mild steel box and placed in the furnace at around 850-900 degrees F. I typically let them cook for about five hours and than cool down over night. When they come out I coat them liberally with oil and let them set for a day before use. I have never needed to repeat, though the English were fond of taking them out and rubbing them down with lime using a piece of tow and than re-distributing them in the pack. This might have been necessary when dealing with fluctuating temperatures, but with a digitally controlled furnace I have never had any problem with consistency. Great process for small parts, but I have never attempted it on anything bigger than a revolver frame, or pistol barrel. Needless to say it would not be a good candidate for parts that have been heat treated.

The cylinder is jaw dropping nice, and I am not just saying this. To be able to color case harden or do certain types of bluing to me is a true Art…

I would have to look but I know somewhere in Florida there was a company that did refinishing on S&W and SAAs. They did awesome work too. I don't think it was turnbull but I would have to look in my history and try and find it.

If you could find the info Kcode98 it would be appreciated I’d like to ask them about a separate revolver frame along with the cylinder.

Thank you Woodnbow I will look the guy up And see what he has to say.greatly appreciated.

If you could find the info Kcode98 it would be appreciated I’d like to ask them about a separate revolver frame along with the cylinder.

I will have to ask. I do however know that Taylor's uses them for their fire blue screws and nickel plating of their clone SAAs. Maybe call Taylor's and ask them. I would help out more but work has me swamped.

Latest posts

Back