• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone know who does charcoal bluing ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenring

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any know who does bluing , I have a new Remington 58 in charcoal blue and just from using regular dawn dish soap to clean the cylinder it streaked the bluing down to a gray finish, it’s just the cylinder the rest of the pistol it didn’t bother , the frame is case hardened so it didn’t bother it. What makes me mad is the gun is as new and I did not realize this type of bluing is that Touché. Any help would be appreciated.

I think a GOOGLE search will give you your answer.

Does any know who does bluing , I have a new Remington 58 in charcoal blue and just from using regular dawn dish soap to clean the cylinder it streaked the bluing down to a gray finish, it’s just the cylinder the rest of the pistol it didn’t bother , the frame is case hardened so it didn’t bother it. What makes me mad is the gun is as new and I did not realize this type of bluing is that Touché. Any help would be appreciated.
A new cylinder might be cheaper. YMMV

Just be aware that no matter who does it charcoal bluing has virtually no resistance to wear and is the most fragile of finishes.

This is how I got into this predicament.I know all to well about crappie Fragile.

The "Charcoal" blue, the light very vibrant blue you see on revolvers and such is really a type of heat blue. Notice I said heat blue, not hot blue. I'm sure they use a chemical process to accentuate the color.

Heat blues are very delicate finishes. Eventually they will come/wear off.

A true charcoal blue is can be an almost deep black. You'll see this on longrifles where the barrel is buried in charcoal. It can have beautiful deep blue/purple/blacks but can be blotchy due the coal contact. This finish is pretty durable.
Related to the above is another method where the parts are suspended above the coals and this is a heat blue. It produces a even finish but is not near as durable as being immersed in the charcoal.

There's more too it but....

If you notice, well use antiques show almost no finish....this is why.
Really, a used honest gun with wear is more appealing to me than a refinished gun.

This is how Turnbull describes their charcoal blueing;

Capturing the proper shade and texture of original charcoal bluing (sometimes referred to as machine bluing or carbona bluing) finish depends largely on the underlying metal polish. Metal parts are placed in a gas-fired furnace with animal bone and sperm whale oil, or equivalent. The end result is a hard-wearing finish with colors that vary from a blue-black (highly polished) to a lighter blue (low polish) depending on the level of polish. A charcoal blued high polished part will produce a mirror-like finish that is second to none.

It truly is a beautiful finish, kinda been kicking the idea around about getting into some professional case hardening with the proper equipment, just kicking mind you. I am not getting any younger and I have been wanting to do things that I should have done when I was in my 20’s and 30’s.

It truly is a beautiful finish, kinda been kicking the idea around about getting into some professional case hardening with the proper equipment, just kicking mind you. I am not getting any younger and I have been wanting to do things that I should have done when I was in my 20’s and 30’s.
Ten you are singing my song on key! i am in the position where if health permits i can do all an any of those "i could do that/i would love to make one of those"
who says old age sucks??????? :ghostly:

Back