• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does anyone actually shoot thier 1st or 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Armys?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MacRob46 Said:

Bravo 4-4 Said:

Well then it would appear I screwed up?I wanted a REAL Colt 1860 to actually shoot. I never gave much thought to the fact that actually shooting even a 2nd Gen 1860 w/o a box(that had never been turned) would totally devastate its value. I am not a collector, I enjoy shooting them. I have no safe queens,just VERY,VERY well cared for shooting pieces.

I come to this a bit late but, in fact, you would not be shooting a REAL Colt 1860. These guns were assembled by Colt but the parts are Italian. The fit and finish is better than the Italian produced guns but I think it is a stretch to call them "real colts." If you want to shoot it, shoot it. If you want to resell it later, don't shoot it but shoot your Pietta or something else. The only real Colt C&B revolvers were made in the 19th c. in Hartford, CT by Colt manufacturing.

So that means that the 1847 Walker isn't a Real Colt and all the London Colts manufactured 1853 to 1856 aren't Real Colts either, right?
If they aren't Real Colts, why will Colt letter 2nd Generation guns?

This has been discussed in some detail on a number of Colt forums. Colt will letter some 2nd generation guns because Colt sold then as Colts. Not to say that they are in any way as desirable as 1st generation Colts but they do have more collector value than Uberti & Pietta. They also make very good shooters.

If I had one I would shoot the snot out of it. All they are is a Uberti with US markings on them.
As it is my two 1860 Armies are Uberti and I used to shoot the snot out of them until I fell down the .44 caliber Snubby rabbit hole.
WB

If any of my guns had snot in them I would shoot it out. Who’s to say how much shooting that would take. Being cautious I have shot them all. A lot. Not taking any chances here.

I picked up a 2nd generation Colt Walker for 300 dollars at a local show. Appears fired. I keep trying to get up the nerve to shoot the thing. Probably will. (Someday)!

I shoot my 1851 Navy and 1860 Army (stainless steel). The 1851 has some pits on the frame but you can't tell that the stainless steel gun has ever been fired or handled. Both are very accurate and even won some shooting contests.

Latest posts

Back