• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone actually shoot thier 1st or 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Armys?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious is it okay to shoot my 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Army US Cavalry commemorative? Will it ruin the value a lot?I am not a Colt collector, just love to shoot BP revolvers.I have a Pietta already but always wanted a REAL Colt. I have no box for the revolver. Any input appreciated.Thanks, :hmm:

I have a 2nd gen 1860 Army. Bought it used at a gun show. No problem shooting it. Shoots better than any Uberti or Pietta I've ever had... :thumbsup:

If you want to risk damaging it's value then, sure, you can shoot it.

Yes, you can handle it carefully while shooting it and clean it so thoroughly no trace of fouling will remain but there is always the possibility of the cylinder stop dragging on the outside of the cylinder and leaving a mark.

If it was mine, I don't know if I would shoot it or not.
Without the box and paperwork it isn't as valuable as a fully boxed one would be but I think it is still worth a lot more than a run of the mill Italian reproduction. :hmm:

If I had one I would shoot it. Thats probably why I don't have a collectable. Why buy a gun if yoru not going to use it? Any gun I buy wether a long gun, or handgun I shoot. So I guess don't go by me. :rotf: I explained it to my wife , guess what she said--SHOOT IT. We don't have no safe queens.

Folks are after buying them,, and with those limited edition guns the value will increase every year.
Like Zonie said if you want to shoot it and decrease the resale value by doing so by all means go ahead.
Collectors or anyone wanting to buy as a collector will point out every flaw and wear mark to lower the selling value.
If you just want to shoot, why not get a new or used reproduction to shoot?

I guess it depends on your point of view. Personally I'd shoot it, what's the point of owning a gun just to look at if you never know how it will shoot or handle?
I would have to find out what she will do!

Look at what the revolvers we don't talk about here cost. People buy them, some cost more than a colt and they buy them to shoot.

Well then it would appear I screwed up?I wanted a REAL Colt 1860 to actually shoot. I never gave much thought to the fact that actually shooting even a 2nd Gen 1860 w/o a box(that had never been turned) would totally devastate its value. I am not a collector, I enjoy shooting them. I have no safe queens,just VERY,VERY well cared for shooting pieces. :doh:

shoot it & don't look back. let the people at yer widow's yard sale worry about the "decreased value".

my opinion & yer welcome to it, bubba.

Bravo 4-4 said:
Well then it would appear I screwed up?I wanted a REAL Colt 1860 to actually shoot.
Who said "totally devastate" the value?
It's your gun if you want to shoot it then shoot the !*## thing,, why ask here?
And I hope you shoot it VERY VERY well.

I have none, nore own any safe queens either.

I'm just trying to figure out why you asked???

I asked because I just wanted information to better understand just what I had. That is all.I am very new to BP revolvers and trying to fully understand all aspects of the hobby.

If you look at the prices of these revolvers over the last ten or twenty years, I believe you would conclude that you are never going to get rich by selling them (fired or unfired). I shoot the 2nd generation ones I own and I don't have any regrets about it.

Golfswithwolves said:
If you look at the prices of these revolvers over the last ten or twenty years, I believe you would conclude that you are never going to get rich by selling them (fired or unfired). I shoot the 2nd generation ones I own and I don't have any regrets about it.

I have weighed the pro's and con's as presented to me on here from those BP shooters more learned than I, with regard to shooting my 2nd Gen Colt 1860, and shoot it I will. That is why I bought it. Thanks for all of your input.My apologies if I annoyed anyone. :grin:

I shoot my Second Generation 1851 C Series and Pocket Navy all the time. I sent the 1851 to Goonsgunworks and it is as reliable as all my Rugers but better. I do have a gold plated 3rd Gen 1860 Calvary Commerative that I haven't shot because of the gold plating. I wish I could trade it off for a good shooter.

Some shoot them, some collect them. On the one hand, the value will be highest for an unfired gun in the original box with all papers - on the other hand, it is hardly one of a very few remaining original antique guns that should be conserved for future generations to be able to study. If I were looking for a shooting 1860 Army, I would likely look for an Uberti rather than pay the extra for a 2nd gen. Another Forum member recently posted about picking up two good looking Piettas for $100 each. Gunbroker ads will give an idea of the difference that a NIB gun sells for vs a used gun. Your choice.

Thanks for the input and solid advise. I do have a new Pietta 1860. But there is just something about owning and shooting a REAL Colt. I just cannot explain it? It is like owning and experiencing a piece of history for me.I will shoot it... but not abuse it. Then hand it down to my son one day. :wink:

Bravo 4-4 said:
Thanks for the input and solid advise. I do have a new Pietta 1860. But there is just something about owning and shooting a REAL Colt. I just cannot explain it? It is like owning and experiencing a piece of history for me.I will shoot it... but not abuse it. Then hand it down to my son one day. :wink:

Now you're talking sense. :thumbsup:

Bravo 4-4 said:
Well then it would appear I screwed up?I wanted a REAL Colt 1860 to actually shoot. I never gave much thought to the fact that actually shooting even a 2nd Gen 1860 w/o a box(that had never been turned) would totally devastate its value. I am not a collector, I enjoy shooting them. I have no safe queens,just VERY,VERY well cared for shooting pieces.

You answered your own question. Shoot it, you're not waiting to cash in on it or pass it down 3 generations to someone you've never met who will give it to a pawn shop.

There's no comparison between this 1860 Army and an Italian reproduction and the Italian guns are very fine specimens indeed! Shoot it!

If it were I, I'd put it aside and ponder the question a bit longer. Just remember, once you pull the trigger, you can no longer list it for sale as "unfired.". As long as it is an issue in your mind, you might regret firing it. I agree with Zonie. Besides, you can tune the Italian revolvers to shoot pretty smoothly and you can do so rather easily. There are You Tube videos on the subject. I wouldn't fire one if I had it, preferring to at least pass it on to the next generation to fire...or sell.

Smollett

Latest posts

Back