• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does a RB travel with constant rotation, or accelerate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry's original question was:
Here is the question: Does the RB continue rotation of 1 turn every 4', or does it accelerate to a faster rotation?
The answer is: NO.

Well, as has been previously beat to death, the RPM's do not increase. What happens is that the forward motion of the ball slows more quickly than does its rotation. That means that proportionally, rotation as compared to the forward motion continually increases until something gets in the ball's way.

Perhaps the original question was spot on in concept.

Zonie

Concerning the above, "things that are moving."

That was my point in quoting you about bullet velocities relative to other external forces. Maybe a little too much fluff. :)

Cobra 6

Last edited:
The bullet is spinning (about 24 miles per hour) ,
The planet is rotating (about 1000 miles per hour),
It revolves around the sun (at about 67,000 miles per hour)
Our solar system is moving ( 514,495 miles per hour)
Our galaxy is moving. (1.3 million miles per hour.)
Everything is moving.

The bullet is spinning (about 24 miles per hour) ,
The planet is rotating (about 1000 miles per hour),
It revolves around the sun (at about 67,000 miles per hour)
Our solar system is moving ( 514,495 miles per hour)
Our galaxy is moving. (1.3 million miles per hour.)
Everything is moving.

Except for me. I'm smoking the first pinch from a fresh tin of Squadron Leader in the old briar pipe and parooosing the forum.....

....and besides that, they're only moving in relation to one another. Which is exactly the same as setting still. Einstein settled that....

Except for me. I'm smoking the first pinch from a fresh tin of Squadron Leader in the old briar pipe and parooosing the forum.....

....and besides that, they're only moving in relation to one another. Which is exactly the same as setting still. Einstein settled that....

If you're smoking, you are definitely accelerating.

You all think that somewhere Steve, Al, and Ike are all sitting around laughing at our thread.
No doubt with a good pipe and a twelve year old scotch.

I'll keep all this in mind when I do a drive by shooting on the Roundheads with my matchlock out the window of my carriage. I'll have my driver whipping the horses to a gallop, so it will be tricky. Maybe I should use a ribaldequin or volley gun.

Joking aside, this discussion points out that we are doing something mostly by estimation and rough experimentation that encompasses some of the toughest problems in engineering and physics; combustion, fluid dynamics, moving body dynamics, turbulence, complex structure harmonics, friction, and tribology. And yet we hit targets.

Joking aside, this discussion points out that we are doing something mostly by estimation and rough experimentation that encompasses some of the toughest problems in engineering and physics; combustion, fluid dynamics, moving body dynamics, turbulence, complex structure harmonics, friction, and tribology. And yet we hit targets.
I like this take on things. Hitting the target isn’t hard, usually. Understanding why that’s true is trickier than it seems, and full of pitfalls.

When the RB leaves the muzzle it has already rotated 1 complete turn. Here is the question: Does the RB continue rotation of 1 turn every 4', or does it accelerate to a faster rotation?
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲 :dunno:
Do you have a 4 foot barrel? Otherwise, how can it make a complete turn in the barrel?

Hey guy I am a Physicist, Quantum and otherwise. And check this out: I never called you a liar,
Have a good day smelling the white smoke!
☢☢☢☢☢☢☢♊R🔴
MrMackc, if your a Physicist, maybe you can help me. I get this pain in my elbow when I straighten out my arm. Should I get it Xrayed?

Thanks for your reply. Here is part of my original post: So, I am going to ask the experts here. A 50 cal, 48" barrel, with 1 revolution in 48" twist is fired using 60 grains of 2F.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸
I am sometimes quite confused and lost in these discussions. My apologies for my poor reading and thank you for starting an interesting discussion.
My curiosity is concerned more with why a rotating ball doesn't curve like a baseball thrown by a pitcher.

I am sometimes quite confused and lost in these discussions. My apologies for my poor reading and thank you for starting an interesting discussion.
My curiosity is concerned more with why a rotating ball doesn't curve like a baseball thrown by a pitcher.

A baseball has the raised stitching specifically for catching air and inducing curve in it's flightpath. The pitcher throws the ball in such a way that the direction of spin is not the same as rifling induced spin, ei, directly at the plate, but tilted in one direction or another so the direction of the throw and the spin are not aligned causing the ball to arc.

My oldest son and 4 of his buddy's are all materials engineers with Cat. They will be coming to the farm tonight for the weekend to play. Tomorrow night while we sit around the camp fire contemplating the meaning of life, enjoying a well blended whisky, I will pose the question. They will most likely look at me like I am an idiot, answer the question and after 30 seconds move on.

I also will be teaching them how to use a flint and steel. They have been getting into heat treating at work so they will enjoy that.

Fleener

I also will be teaching them how to use a flint and steel. They have been getting into heat treating at work so they will enjoy that.

Fleener
Good idea about flint and steel! Don't forget to show them how to use your home made firepiston.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Larry

You must have a camera in my house??? I have been looking all over for my fire piston. Cant find it.

These kids have been learning to fish (with the exception of my son). I have 2 farm ponds and the fish are usually fighting to get on a hook. It spoils them.

Fleener

Well, Larry, you got me to go digging around again for the 20th time. I found it exactly where I put it. So now I can do the fire piston with them as well. The good thing is I am heading to AK on a hunt and was wanting to take it with me.

Fleener

Well, now that we're down to talking about fire starters and fishing trips, I think we've pretty much answered the OP's question, or, we've come up with enough confusing, conflicting ideas he's sorry he ever asked it.

With that, and 13 pages of posts, I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back