• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

does a kukri have any place in muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a "common or historically PC" perspective , maybe not. From a realistic perspective, a very resounding "YES". Anyone with the skills to forge steel could have made their own design of blade whether it be a sabre, katana, green river knife, or kukri. Although I personally don't recall any mention of a kukri in the bit of American History I have studied, that doesn't make it an impossibility. It would be naive for one to say that this type of equipment has no place in "muzzleloading" history. As for the "re-enacting" mind set,
each group must clearly define the parameters for their particular situation. If an event or group is to be specifically geared for what was "common" attire and equipment, make it very clear at the onset of such. I was visiting with a gentleman who is actively involved in the rendevous scene who revealed the "Dinty Moore" stew secret. (Open the can in the TP, pour it in the pot then bring it out to the fire,and walla, you got some authentic stew. Everybody has their own opinion, you've just seen mine.

:redthumb:

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a "common or historically PC" perspective , maybe not. From a realistic perspective, a very resounding "YES". Anyone with the skills to forge steel could have made their own design of blade whether it be a sabre, katana, green river knife, or kukri.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, are you saying that just because something was physically possible to create in 1750, it's okay to use it in your portrayal? Or, do we use a little common sense and logic and say something is unacceptable] based on all known historical research to date?

Granted, you can still show up at the Revolutionary reenactment carrying a Roman short sword, wearing purple bedroom slippers and tell your "it might have happened" story. :crackup:

Does the Kukri have a place in muzzleloading? My thinking is NO but it is a knife and a knife is an accuterment and that's why this thread is still here. Is it absurd, maybe,
at best it's not in keeping with the spirit of muzzleloading
and attempting to recreate things as they were in that time period.

Ask not what your kukri can do for you, as rather what you can do with yor kukri! RFK (Rebellion to Free Kukriis)

I think the common sense approach should be guiding our sport, asking not if some something were possible, but rather if something were probable.

A British officer returning from Nepal with a Kukri could POSSIBLY have brought it to the Americas with him, but more PROBABLY would have mounted in his wall, as a trophy. A common soldier could POSSIBLY have brought one from Nepal to the Americas, but PROBABLY would have been flogged for improper uniform.

Question about documenting items (this is a serious question, not a joke). Do you carry a little book or a list around with your documentation in it (e.g. "John Addison journal, Dec 21, 1746 entry") or do you just memorize it and spit it out when needed? Inquiring minds wanta know.

FearNot

Question about documenting items (this is a serious question, not a joke). Do you carry a little book or a list around with your documentation in it (e.g. "John Addison journal, Dec 21, 1746 entry") or do you just memorize it and spit it out when needed? Inquiring minds wanta know.

FearNot

Some people do carry documentation, just in case. If you have something odd that you came across in someone's journal, ie the experimental "Lucifers" in Merriwhether Lewis's journal, you might want to tote documentation. Some people will say, "huh, ain't that inn'erestin'", while others will say, "you better show me some proof".

Some carry docs, others just say "get stuffed", but the burden of proof is on the carrier of said controversy.

:results:

Most historic sites provide you with the documenttion that they wish for you to have. You are given a list of reading material and expected to follow the information they provide.

They will not and do not argue over the accuracy of your clothing or equipment. It meets their standards or you leave.

Arguments, such as what is occuring on this long thread, never occur at a jurried event. There may be some discussion, around the campfire at night, about the poor soul that was told to pack up his kukri and leave, but you will not argue your way into a sight by toting a bunch of books with you.

In the East you will be safe if you follow the writtings of Reverand Dodridge, the journals of Isaac Weld and Nicolis Griswell, Morgan's letters or most of the documents among the Drapper Manuscripts. At southern sites, Seed Time on the Cumberland is an accepted text. That means that these books are the ONLY DOCUMENTATION ACCEPTED by most historic sites. The site directors do not want you bringing obscure text into the office and do not have time to research it for accuracy and acceptability as the norm in their area.

Most of the PC discussions I have engaged in were between individuals, over trivial items and habits that were actually outside the normal relm of historic accuracy.

why did I make center seam moccs that lace up"
did the pioneers really use yellow flints in their guns?
did they have cast iron skillets in the 18th century?
is the carabou antler handle on my boot knife PC?
did I really go inside my tent to light that candle with flint and steel?

Things that fall outside the relm of normal PC, and what is accepted at the majority of the good historic sites, is the focus of two basic groups. One of the groups is referred to as wise a$$e$, and the other is referred to as dumb a$$e$.

Guess which group carrying a kukri will get you placed in?

Guess which group arguing over a yellow gun flint will get you placed in?

At rondys it is the dog soldiers that make many on the spot decisions. Many of them are well read, but many are neither bright nor completely sober. (no insult intended, just a casual observation)

At a rondy you really have to streach it to get called on the carpet (like carrying a kukri or riding a camel). Most dog soldier functions are asking someone to cover their cooler, close their tent flap to hide their cots, or move their truck out of the camp. It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it.
:imo:

Most historic sites provide you with the documenttion that they wish for you to have. You are given a list of reading material and expected to follow the information they provide.

They will not and do not argue over the accuracy of your clothing or equipment. It meets their standards or you leave.

Well said, as always Ghost. I guess I should always qualify the things I say! In this case, I was speaking of rendezvous and shoots and more casual events. At a reenctment, historic site, or any other juried event, history is always the perogative of the jury and it WILL be done their way, PERIOD! Nothing wrong with it, it's their event.

I think that new people have a hard time with this only because they just aren't used to it yet. We spend the first part of our lives listening to our parents saying "cause I said so" and hating it, and we get ticked off as adults when someone says it again.

Well, bad news, Pards. At a juried event, "becuase I said so" is the lay of the land, and you either go with it or pick up your marbles--or kukri--and go home. A reenactment is supposed to be a re-creation of history, not alternate history or "what if". It's just the lay of the land. I guess "What If" is best saved for Renn-Fest!

:results:

HAVING SAID ALL OF THAT i think that the kukri is an awesome tool and probably one of the best camping tools ever made. Carry one on a trek, just not to a shoot or historical site.

:m2c:

allright, this thread has suffered long enough. would somebody please put it out of it's misery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back