• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

does a kukri have any place in muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tna

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm just wondering if the kukri was ever used in the u.s. by indians or frontiersmen. i have a couple of these and love them for everything but a skinning tool (to cumbersome for this task). i want to work one into my ensamble but i don't know. any input appricated.

heres a pic.

http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/kukri.php

The oldest known Kukri appears to be one in the arsenal museum in Kathmandu, which belonged to Raja Drabya Shah, King of Gorkha, in 1627.

So they were around before the F&I war...

Whew! There wasn't much interaction between the Ghurkha of Nepal and the Americas, ever. Until the 1760's they were at war, I believe, with the British. After England backed the winners of one side in their own civil war it became custom for Nepal to send troops for British Regements, but that would have been after they got the boot.

You'd have a tough time documenting any use here in the U.S. prior to WW1, or even WW2.

I've handled the Cold Steel version and it is a fierce and awesome weapon. At least equal to a tomahawk in chopping, way ahead in slicing. They did a number on the Germans in the trenches of WW1, I understand. :shocking:

British Military Send-up of the Ghurkhas (& Kukri)

The kukri evolved from the short sword used by Alexander the Great's army, so, it has been around a long time, but I know of no reference to it in the Americas of the 18th-19th centuries.

The oldest known Kukri appears to be one in the arsenal museum in Kathmandu, which belonged to Raja Drabya Shah, King of Gorkha, in 1627.

So they were around before the F&I war...

At least equal to a tomahawk in chopping, way ahead in slicing.
Don't forget throwing! The kukri is an AWESOME throwing device! I wouldn't suggest doing this with the expensive Cold Steel models, but go to the local knife shop and buy a half dozen "cheapies". As far as working one into an early American persona, the only way would be to make him a sort of early Indiana Jones figure, somebody who'd travelled to distant and exotic places. :hmm: :thumbsup:

thanks for the link stumpkiller. i've read of there history but never anything so detailed. as far as throwing one i've never tried but i might have to. the one i just got would have to be my favorite. made by windless i'm told they supply the gurkas with their blades today. well once upon a time i traveled the world on a big grey ship (USN) so maybe that would be a good thing to work in.

i want to work one into my ensamble but i don't know. any input appricated.

I would say no to using it with an 18th century North America persona. Although they existed in other parts of the world, I seriously doubt that they made it to this continent in numbers large enough to justify your use. :m2c:

The way I see it...An English officer could have picked one up from a dead foe in Nepal, he took it back to England with him, he was then sent to America because of the uprising, here he was killed in battle and his beloved kukri was lifted by one of the rebels, the rebel lived through the revolution and carried the kukri westward with him.
Any reason why this could not have happened? Just once?

In my days of reenacting I found that sometimes being different just ain't worth it. People ask a lot of annoying questions like you're the one who didn't do his homework. Worse, they don't talk to you at all, but they talk to other people who are in charge of events and asked to have you removed.

Case in point. I was portraying a US Marshal of the late 1860's. I carried three cap and ball pistols, 2 colts and remington, all in slim-jim stlye holsters. I also wore a cartridge belt that went with the Sharps Carbine that I carried. The cartridge belt was leather with canvas webbing for the shells.

Well, someone made a stink about it--not to me, to the people running the event--and it got back to me in the form of, "I'm sorry, but you'll have to change your gear." When I asked why, I was told that my cartridge belt wasn't correct for that time period, nor would it be until WW1.

"Really? It's funny, because actually, this is the belt that they issued cavalry troopers when they handed them the 1868 Allin Conversion guns. As a government agent, I am perfectly within character to have purchased one at the fort sutler's shop. But, I tell you what...I'll change."

I packed up my gear, walked out, and have yet to don anything post 1840 since. History is in the eye of the beholder sometimes. Can you make a case for your Kukri? Probably. Will it be worth your while to do so? Probably not. Not that I am advocating "fitting in for the sake of fitting in", but sometimes controversy just ain't worth it.

Thanks for listening, that's just :m2c:

The way I see it...An English officer could have picked one up from a dead foe in Nepal, he took it back to England with him, he was then sent to America because of the uprising, here he was killed in battle and his beloved kukri was lifted by one of the rebels, the rebel lived through the revolution and carried the kukri westward with him.

There is no reason why this could not have happened.

You could also carry a Samurai sword with your French and Indian persona and come up with a "unique" story to justify it. The same could be said of any item from any remote corner of the world.

The fact is, most serious reenactors would not think too much of the idea. :imo:

in the words of Monty Python...

"The swallow is not native to our lands, and yet they are not uncommon."
"Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?"

Somethings are better left alone... :crackup: :crackup:

There's a famous case of a neolithic flint tool that was dug by a noted archeologist in NY State. It was identical to tools found found along with Neanderthal remains and thought to be 80,000 years old. That's 20,000 years older than anything else in the U.S. associated with humanoids. When they tested it, it was found to be of the same mineral content of the flint in the Neander Valley. This briefly lead to speculation that Neanderthal's were the first to travel East to West across the Atlantic. They returned to the site and dug like fiends. But all that was found was a bunch of Lenni Lenape/Six Nations artifacts.

So, it is now believed that stone tool was tossed in a German riverboat, that ballast was dunped to make room for goods taken back up river. Then the toll had to make a series of such dump & pick-up transfers, who knows how many times, with at least one trans-atlantic crossing, and end up in the site of an Indian village along the Mohawk River.

Or, it could have been picked up as a curiosity by a Hessian soldier and carried to America.

At some point it was burried, either by plow or poked in around a loose fence-post into slightly older strata.

Or some forward thinking tourist buried the thing with a chuckle and a wink some years past.

Such things are called anomalies (and/or anachronisms) and drive archeologists knutz. Just think, every time we toss a spent gunflint or fire a round ball we are extending the usage of certain "primative" tools in the eyes of future archeologists.

You should see the stuff in the Peabody Museum brought to New England by the whalers from the mid 1600's on. Trade is an amazing Who's to say a Kukri didn't get from Nepal to Hong Kong to Madigascar to Tripoli to the Azores to Havana to New Bedford to ???

Stick it in your belt, and if someone gives you lip draw it and start picking your fingernails with it and say: "You know, the sailor who's body I took this off in Baltimore had an attitude like yours."

You don't always have to play by the rules. It wouldn't be accepted in a judged event, but the deer and squirrels will never tell if you wear it in the woods.

Stumpkiller,
i think i will do just that. thanks a bunch. :thumbsup:

....Who's to say a Kukri didn't get from Nepal to Hong Kong to Madigascar to Tripoli to the Azores to Havana to New Bedford to ???

Right. And when you show up at the local Rendezvous riding a camel, wearing a turban and toting a Roman short sword, I can't wait to hear your "story".
:crackup:

I agree with Stumpkiller, but I also agree with Claude. It all depends on the circumstances, and the goal.

I used to be in the SCA, and got more than my fill of this nonsense of "Greetings! My name is Malcolm Haasam Wong, I was born in the Hebrides but captured by Viking traders and sold in the bazaar in Tripoli, where I eventually gained my freedom by converting to Islam, and the Grand Vizier made me his ambassador to the court of the Emperor of China: that's why I'm carrying a claymore, and a composite Turkish bow...."

Sure, a Shawnee warrior in 1760 MIGHT have owned a samurai sword; but why concoct stories to justify remote possibilities?

On the other hand, if you're just trying to have fun, what's wrong with fantasizing about what MIGHT have happened? So long as you understand that you're playing creativity, and not history.

Capt. William

I can't wait to hear your "story".

It all started when I woke up on board a mysterious Chinese junk under sail and out of sight of land after a wild night in Tangiers. Portabelo, my Portugese dwarf hunchback handservent, was nowhere to be found and my purse had been cut. It was then that I noticed the hand clutching my throat was my own and the screaming stopped the instant I stopped screaming. Thoughts of my last night on shore surged across my mind like the way milk squirts out your nose when someone makes you laugh as you're drinking; sudden, but cold and unpleasant. But where was the Austrian Baroness now, I wondered . . . ? And why was I holding a Roman gladius? I searched the pockets of my breeches for any clues, but as pockets in breeches were 100 years from being discovered I came up empty handed. Tucked in my waist sash was a ticket from "Honest Fakesh's, according to the logo a Yemanise pawn broker, good for the return of one camel upon payment of 630 Jabonies owed. "Hmmmm" I thought. My head still throbbed like a monkey in a snaredrum, so I splashed some water onto the towel I always carry wrapped around my torso for such emergencies and bound it above my ears in the style of the Saracens. I also made a mental note that if the crew of this boat were, in fact, intent on being unpleasant that I would not mention the water coming into the hold from what looked like Roman gladius wounds in the caulking. "That inscrutable Dr. Chin is at the bottom of this" I said to myself as I drew my sword and made my way towards a crack of light indicating a hatch, and a pair of legs, outside. "I'll not let that fiend nor any of his hellish opium-breathed minions prevent me from attending the rendezvous."

End of Episode One - Stumpy and the Befuddled Booshway

Portabelo, my Portugese dwarf hunchback handservent,
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:Could this be him?
gwpiratdwrf2.jpg

I can't wait to hear your "story".

It all started when I woke up on board a mysterious Chinese junk under sail and out of sight of land after a wild night in Tangiers. Portabelo, my Portugese dwarf hunchback handservent, was nowhere to be found and my purse had been cut. It was then that I noticed the hand clutching my throat was my own and the screaming stopped the instant I stopped screaming. Thoughts of my last night on shore surged across my mind like the way milk squirts out your nose when someone makes you laugh as you're drinking; sudden, but cold and unpleasant. But where was the Austrian Baroness now, I wondered . . . ? And why was I holding a Roman gladius? I searched the pockets of my breeches for any clues, but as pockets in breeches were 100 years from being discovered I came up empty handed. Tucked in my waist sash was a ticket from "Honest Fakesh's, according to the logo a Yemanise pawn broker, good for the return of one camel upon payment of 630 Jabonies owed. "Hmmmm" I thought. My head still throbbed like a monkey in a snaredrum, so I splashed some water onto the towel I always carry wrapped around my torso for such emergencies and bound it above my ears in the style of the Saracens. I also made a mental note that if the crew of this boat were, in fact, intent on being unpleasant that I would not mention the water coming into the hold from what looked like Roman gladius wounds in the caulking. "That inscrutable Dr. Chin is at the bottom of this" I said to myself as I drew my sword and made my way towards a crack of light indicating a hatch, and a pair of legs, outside. "I'll not let that fiend nor any of his hellish opium-breathed minions prevent me from attending the rendezvous."

Okay, it could happen. :applause: :crackup:

:what:

Thank God I had to work today.

This thread could have gotten me banned from playing on the forum permanantly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back