• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you wear glassed when shooting a flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raynor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know some wear glasses while shooting and some don't. Some even wear them while range shooting and not while hunting. But for the most part, do you wear them or not? :hmm: Just curious! :)

Myself, I wear glasses all the time. Little tiny thing, almost like having nothing. Maybe they help, maybe not. :haha:

This would be a great poll question if anyone has that authority.

I don't shoot any weapon without safety glasses on. All of my perscription glasses now come with Polycarbonite lenses.

I'm in the "wear 'em 'cause I can't see %^&*%^ without 'em" category. I can see where they offer some protection when shooting a flinter on a windy day and pan flash gets blown around a bit.

Eyes and ears at the range always!

But not yet for hunting...although these 61 year old eyes might force that next year :grin:

I'm with roundball. Eye and ear protection has always been a requirement at the ranges I go to. I never wore them hunting though. Uncle Sam took most of my hearing and age is creeping up on my eyes. I have to wear glasses for real close work, so I wear them most of the time anyway now.

Eye and ear at our club also. Really good idea. I am under the opinion though, that a nipple gun would be more dangerous to your eyses than a flint. JMO, and I could be wrong. Seems like you could have pcs of cap flying all over, and most of the action from a flinter goes out the vent.

The only time I don't wear shooting glasses is when I am hunting. Luckily, I still have 20-20 vision at 41 Y.O. I wear hearing protection too, except when hunting.
The lesson took hold when I had a Chinese SKS slamfire on me when I was chambering a round. I got a load of manure in the face and thank God that bullet didn't kill anyone, wherever it went. I've also gotten shrap from musket caps upon firing. Most of the time it's in the forward hand but I've gotten stung in the (face) cheek as well.
I remember a poster from a place I worked at 20 years ago. . . ."Bill never saw the need for safety glasss, now he never will," accompanied by a pic of a guy with dark glasses and a cane.
DJL

:nono: Never shoot any gun without safety glasses on---I belong to two clubs and the range rules are: No Glasses---No Shoot.... :shake:

I have worn glasses for most of my 65 years. When we switched from real galass to plastic lens I ruined one pair shooting my flintlock. Grains of burning powder came out of the pan and hit the plastic lens. Ended up with what looked like little nicks in both lens.
After that I use the safety glasses with the side shields and fit the face snugly.

yes glasses are a must when shooting, period or not. i have a bess and with the bigger lock it has a big pan flash as compared to a smaller rifles i shot.

I should have proofed my post a little better, hate when that happens. :shocked2:

I never wear glassed, glasses - yes. :rotf:

Good thread going here guys, thanks for all the comments. :winking:

Doug

RiverRat said:
I wear eyes and ears while I am target shooting. Not while hunting.

A lot of guys don't wear ear protection when hunting. Is that because a few load bangs each year won't hurt our ears?

I don't use ear protection when hunting because I want to hear every noise around me. My glasses are shatterproof and I wear them all the time. I usually use a flintlock so cap particles aren't a problem.

I ALWAYS wear safety glasses when shooting, makes no difference what I am shooting. About every 3 years I have to get new lenses because of tiny bits of flint & powder residue melted into the lenses. Even when I wear my contacts, I still wear safety glasses when shooting....... No glasses, I am not shooting.

Won't even dryfire a flintlock without glasses & won't let anyone else do it at my place. You fire a rifle here, you Will wear glasses or you don't fire it. :shake:

I had an issue with flinching the other year. I seemed to flinch when not wearing glasses, no problem at the range but while hunting i would. I think my mind said "dangerous sparks and flint chips coming this way, close your eyes".
Bill

Latest posts

Back