• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you treat your powder horns with anything?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apply a beeswax finish by burnishing the horn, easy and simple.

Wouldn't use olive oil, becomes nasty after some time and offers little in the way of protective qualities.

Like others, I just take a little bees' wax and rub it onto the horn, paying attention to the area around the butt end where I've drilled and inserted round tooth picks, partly for decoration, and partly as a belt and suspenders way of securing the base plug. (And here I suppose some one will chime in and say "Awwww Cruzatte, ya don't hafta do that....." And maybe he'd be right.)

Not necessary to do anything to them. But do not store in a confined place. You will find the full of holes eaten there by buggies. Mine hang free.

I can attest to that with a couple of mine that were store in a box for a number of years. No holes clear through, but they look like they've been carved to resemble the map of some unknown place.

Like others, I just take a little bees' wax and rub it onto the horn, paying attention to the area around the butt end where I've drilled and inserted round tooth picks, partly for decoration, and partly as a belt and suspenders way of securing the base plug. (And here I suppose some one will chime in and say "Awwww Cruzatte, ya don't hafta do that....." And maybe he'd be right.)

I like the thorns of hawthorn trees. Tougher than toothpicks. These bad boys take out garden tractor tires.

psinlye.jpg

I put linseed oil on the outside surface. it tends to keep the little bugs or worms from bore small holes in it; in my experience

I like the thorns of hawthorn trees. Tougher than toothpicks. These bad boys take out garden tractor tires.

psinlye.jpg
Good idea. I like it. They look pretty ferocious. I have thought the thorns from our local honey locust trees might be pretty good, too. Next horn I assemble, I might try that.

I've used beeswax or a greased patch. Since I covered my horn with rawhide (dropped onto a concrete floor when full and it cracked), I use a little lube/grease on the exposed horn and beeswax on the rawhide. Usually, my greasy hands (Bear grease for lube) are all the horn sees.

I have an old horn dated around 1780. I use it, nothin fancy at all. never thought about treating it, but after reading this it seems like a good idea.

I have an old horn dated around 1780. I use it, nothin fancy at all. never thought about treating it, but after reading this it seems like a good idea.
I'd speak with a conservator at a museum if your horn is from ~1780. I'd hate for you to ruin a piece of history...

Latest posts

Back