• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you think it’s a lefty?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it’s a true left hand rifle or a reverse negative.

• Yes it’s a left hand rifle

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No it’s not a left hand rifle but a reverse negative photo

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
Looks like a Springfield rifled musket to me. Whether 1855 or 1861, I can't tell, but if I'm right, certainly the man's uniform tells us the photo was taken during the Civil War. So the photo has been reversed.

Looks like a Springfield rifled musket to me. Whether 1855 or 1861, I can't tell, but if I'm right, certainly the man's uniform tells us the photo was taken during the Civil War. So the photo has been reversed.
I think it looks like an 1842 harpers ferry of the metal piece opposite of the lock, most springfields I’ve seen/handled didn’t have that

Quite a fuzzy photograph so difficult to see. He's holding it on his right side for some reason, but a right hand rifle wouldn't allow the offside brass to show as it would be hidden against his body. I'm probably wrong, however.

I believe the Springfields and Harper's were made to the same pattern.
I agree but The brass piece opposite of the lock shown in picture is not normally on the springfields that I’ve seen. That’s also a confederate soldier which doesn’t mean much because we all know they picked up a springfield and used it once in awhile.

Back