• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think it’s a lefty?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it’s a true left hand rifle or a reverse negative.

• Yes it’s a left hand rifle

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No it’s not a left hand rifle but a reverse negative photo

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Rigderunner

40 Cal
Reaction score
F9FFA397-0879-4DF3-858A-8CF59C546A14.png

I think it’s a true left hand rifle because the brass opposite of the lock would be hidden otherwise

Here’s the pic again in case it didn’t load

Attachments

• A2AFC966-E108-4108-BE52-2958D5D9A147.png
    A2AFC966-E108-4108-BE52-2958D5D9A147.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It's a right-hand rifle being held by a left-handed soldier and the negative is reversed. No military of the period is going to make a left-handed rifle.
Looks to be an 1842 harpers ferry rifle.
That couldn’t be a reversed negative because this piece of metal wouldn’t have showed if it was a right hand gun

Attachments

• D5CCB80B-169B-434D-ACA0-245DDE60E4EA.jpeg
    D5CCB80B-169B-434D-ACA0-245DDE60E4EA.jpeg
    839 KB · Views: 0
  • EAA3490E-41FA-473D-9741-354022C20513.jpeg
    EAA3490E-41FA-473D-9741-354022C20513.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 0
Get out your favorite musket, hold it to your left side, then stand in front of a mirror and you'll see exactly what this photo is.
Now that I’ve seen the picture flipped around I see it.
I actually just stood in my bathroom with my right handed rifle and it still looked the same I guess I should have taken a pic to see if it changed.

Now that I’ve seen the picture flipped around I see it.
I actually just stood in my bathroom with my right handed rifle and it still looked the same I guess I should have taken a pic to see if it changed.
Try it again holding the rifle to your left side.

There's a famous photo of "billy the kid" with an 1873 Winchester,, same thing,, it shows the rifle as a lefty,, they never made one, :dunno:
I’ve seen it also haha.
I always thought it was a reverse negative but for some reason this one sure looked real to me

It does look real cause it is. It's just the only way they had to do it back in the day what with the processes they had when working with the changing technology,, glass, mirrors, lenses, paper, etc,,
I have found old family photos from different family members that do the same thing, flip/flop,, ✌️

I think it's a reversed negative, RH gun. Not that it means anything, but if you'll look at what would be his right hand, there appears to be a wedding band on his ring finger.

Back