• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the biggest threat to us users of black powder is declining sales overall. At some point it may just get to be too small of a sales item to be profitable for the manufacturers with overhead, insurance etc. I live in a community of 50,000. No one here sells BP or traditional BP guns. I believe I would have to drive more than 100+ miles one way to find an over the counter vender of BP. The only traditional BP firearms I see for sale are second hand at pawn shops. Once in a great while I'll see a used one at the local gun stores. Mostly what I see are modern autoloading pistols and black/pink/purple rifles that used to all be black. We may see legislative prohibitions, but decline in users is a greater risk.

Make no mistake. The threat is real. Every aspect of firearms ownership ( and weapons in general ) has been under constant attack for decades. It is a concerted, continuous effort taken in steps. One small bite, one reasonable control measure and then another and another. Each one barely noticeable or objected to but in retrospect the cumulative effect is huge. Compare where we are today to the 60's.

We must fight hard to preserve what we have and undo the damage that has already been done.

The storage device is the main focus of attack, along with the limits allowed on hand. It's not easy remaining involved in the local sale of BP.

Can you explain more? How do they "attack the storage device"?
Limits make perfect sense and should be quite easy to comply with. What is the limit ?

I remember those days around here, maybe it is all supply and demand although maybe its slowly been a soft kill. Maybe its the advancements in airguns. Regardless it is a reality around here,

For me it's easier to get black Powder now than it was 40 years ago. 40 years ago the nearest retailers were an hour or two away, and there were only two places to get it mail order. One local retailer has gone, ( the farther of the two) but the other remains and there are many more places to mail order. So, in 40 years, the only real negative change was the addition of a hazmat fee.
I can live with that.

I agree mail order is the way to go. It is expensive if you are only buying one or two pounds but reasonable for 5 or more pounds. That reminds me, I should go do an inventory.

It appears that most of the folks who have posted on this topic are pretty much on the same page. The threats to future of the BP community are real, not imagined, or ginned up by some secret conspiratorial group. It is all out in the open now. How many times have you heard "you don't need that', or 'who needs that?" They are talking about all things that go bang. Come election time we will once again see our representatives in full hunting garb, shotgun over shoulder, standing in some field, preening for the photographers. As far as speaking ones mind, we have every right to be fearful. We now know that all communications are tracked recorded, and sometimes analyzed by the Feds. Public speech is now often hate speech. Best be on the "right side" of the gun issue. Its not bad everywhere, but good luck with that in the power centers of the country. The "revolution" is at hand. Academia is gone. The press is largely gone. Thanks to this forum we still have a voice: even if we are speaking to the choir.

Every time a group of armed individuals marches on a capitol or worse, someone decides to go on a shooting spree, public opinion shifts away from us and people who before had no "dog in the fight" become engaged against us.

Same in my state. I've done it. Twenty-five pounds of Goex and a UPS man that cared not a whit about the haz labels on the box.
I watched the UPS guy walking up to my door with a box of BP. He looked like he was carrying loose vials of Nitro. I've never seen a delivery guy set down a parcel with more care. He practically floated it to the porch. One of the funniest things I've seen in years His eyes were big and focused, and he wouldn't have squashed a butterfly with that box. Ran back to the truck and took off extra fast.

Every time a group of armed individuals marches on a capitol or worse, someone decides to go on a shooting spree, public opinion shifts away from us and people who before had no "dog in the fight" become engaged against us.
I don't think a bunch of us BP guys will be marching on the white House any time soon; food for thought, though. As for shooting sprees, Haven't heard any forum folks advocating that. Frankly... I don't know where you are coming from. Very confused logic. Try to connect the dots.

I don't think a bunch of us BP guys will be marching on the white House any time soon; food for thought, though. As for shooting sprees, Haven't heard any forum folks advocating that.

Really ? That was your takeaway?

Frankly... I don't know where you are coming from. Very confused logic. Try to connect the dots.
Ya, there's an obvious disconnect.

Moving on.

I’ve got a pretty good stash from Graf’s but hopefully by the time I’m running low, the online powder vendors will still be operational, as getting it locally here in Las Vegas is harder than getting a chicken with teeth to find a needle in a haystack while writing Hamlet and getting struck by lightning with a winning lottery ticket in its pocket. This assumes, of course, the chicken is wearing trousers... which exponentially raises the unlikeliness of the situation.

If anyone thinks that there is no threat to gun ownership or anything remotely associated with gun ownership in this country they are very nieve. The fact that black powder consumers make up such a miniscule portion of recreational shooters makes it even more likely to be regulated out of existence. There is strength in numbers, face it,we don't have them.

Last edited:
Decline in BP use, if true, certainly is a problem. However, some here seem to think that Legislative prohibitions are the usual way prohibitions occur, become law of the land, etc. NOT TRUE. Judicial fiat, the stroke of a governor's pen, Mayors pen, Police Chief's edict, Sheriffs's policy, the list goes on, are often in full throated defiance of 2nd amendment rights. Seriously, do not expect a formal referendum. The edict banning (controlling) whatever, comes in many forms, often out of left field. Do not necessarily expect debates, and grandiose speeches in Congress. Those cash suckers have to be supremely confident to stand before the American people and declare what they really don't stand for. That is why they have whoever-yells-the-loudest-votes. No record to answer to. Bottom line: Legislation can prohibit us from (fill in the blank). More likely is the subtle Magic Pen. The Magic Pen makes people say "WO, how & when did that happen?" BP is on the undesirables list.

If the question is "will BP become scarce specifically because of the plandemic or the riots?", the answer, I think, is probably not. At least, not at the moment. The general situation will, of course, continue to worsen. But, since we can't talk about "politics" (EVERYTHING is political, like it or not), all I can say is that at some point in the near future, the enemies of what is left of America will be given free rein. They are already quite vocal about what they want to do when they seize total control. Black gunpowder and BP firearms have not really been on the radar up til now.. but rest assured, they will be.

Black gunpowder has long been difficult to find. Dealers don't want to fool with the required explosives licensing and whatever other regulations they have to meet. This is the reason for the creation of "black powder substitutes" to begin with. If selling black gunpowder wasn't such a pain, Pyrodex, Triple 7, and all the others would probably not even exist.

I do agree that the very small user base for black powder is problematic. The declining numbers of people even interested in it (which is directly related to our political situation), could be troublesome, however I think bans and overregulation will hit us long before BP is no longer sold for lack of demand.

Decline in BP use, if true, certainly is a problem.

I can't speak to FG grade specifically because I have no data, but FA grade black powder has seen a roughly 300% increase in sales from 1999 to 2019. Consumer revenue increased every single year.
Those numbers will likely change drastically for 2020 due to Covid 19.

Goex recently picked up Graf's house brand account, snatched it from Schuetzen.
So, one would think things are looking pretty good for Goex.

The story about the UPS driver is a good example of the effects of brainwashing. Speak loudly and confidently about a subject of which the intended target knows little or nothing, and you will be believed. Trial attorneys have known this for centuries. See the Egress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back