• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Was at my local gun store today. I picked up another can of 2fg. I wanted to make sure I have enough for practice and hunting this season. The man went into the back room where they store the powder. He came out and said, "you're lucky, this is the second to last can". He then went on to say " yeah we need to make another run on powder, assuming they have any". This was a little disconcerting to me.

Do you think powder could get scarce in this pandemic and protest/riot ridden world we're living in these days?

It's already scarce around me. That's not due to Covid-19 though. It's due to the expense of meeting storage requirements. I don't know if that's government regulations or insurance company requirements.

I think most of us can't just go to the local gun store and get black gunpowder anyway.

But yes.

Was at my local gun store today. I picked up another can of 2fg. I wanted to make sure I have enough for practice and hunting this season. The man went into the back room where they store the powder. He came out and said, "you're lucky, this is the second to last can". He then went on to say " yeah we need to make another run on powder, assuming they have any". This was a little disconcerting to me.

Do you think powder could get scarce in this pandemic and protest/riot ridden world we're living in these days?
Did you buy the other one too?

I am afraid it could. They have already driven it out of gunshops in my state and I'm a bit surprised we are still able to purchase it on line. One IED incident such as the Boston Marathon may be all it takes. After all, in today's misguided criminal justice system one punishes the innocent and lets the guilty go free.

Did you buy the other one too?
No, I didn't. I only keep a few lbs at any one time. I store it in my basement and prefer not to keep large amounts for safety reasons.

I hadnt considered the fact that for many people it's not easy to purchase black powder. For that I apologize. I guess I'm lucky in that in my state or at least my part of Pa, muzzleloading is popular, and our local couple gun stores all carry black powder..

Southeastern part, a town not far from Centralia, you know the town that's on fire.....

eventually every thing will become scarce so now is the time to stock pile every thing you can get your hands on even things you do not use pertaining to the hobbies of shooting, whether it is black powder or the un-mentionable weapons. You can trade and barter for items you need. Come November we will see a turning point if things drastically change. GET IT NOW AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

Many businesses can't store black powder due to fire codes. Others don't want the hassle of storage and permits.

Really Jager as stated this is a very important discussion give it a break, or perhaps from this point on posters should use the term idiots. All will understand the reference.

I just removed several posts in this thread because they all brought politics up.

While I agree that there are people would like to do away with all firearms and the powder that makes them work, discussing politics outside the American Politics forum area is against the forum rules.

Any shortage will be caused by panic buying from gun owners. Just like the last shortage. Every shortage before that all the way back to the 1970's was caused by powder plants blowing up.

If anything, the use and demand for black powder has been increasing as the use and demand for fireworks has increased. 40 years ago fireworks were illegal in many states. That is not longer the case.
Enjoy your 4th of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back