• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you take your lock off with every cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope !! If your lock/stock is PROPERLY sealed ( I use beeswax) you 'SHOULDN'T' need to remove your lock OR barrel more than once a year. UNLESS you get into a lotta water, i.e. rain, snow, RIVER...

Howdy,

I always remove the lock on my flinter. First at the event or range after shooting and wipe the lock and mortise down and then once home I take the lock off again and give it a good cleaning with hot water and a toothbrush and follow this with a good coat of oil. The idea of not removing the lock should not be entertained I do not think. No matter how tight the seal, the fine priming powder gets into the workings of the lock. The heat and powder combination adds up to a rust problem.

Pharmvet,
I use mostly originals, percussion and flintlocksrifles/muskets. Depending on the particular gun, but nearly always take off the lock on flintlocks (sometimes not if going out practise also next day). With percussion almost all guns are locks taken off seldom under "season" meaning practise 2-4 times a week (maybe just 1-2 times/year "lock-cleaning"). I know what gun needs cleaning more often. Done this 20+ years and never run into any problem. I seem to disagree to the majority but this is my experience.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Back