• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you recognize this kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevendozen

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got this kit from my father today, and he said he got it from his dad....so likely 40-50 years old.

There are no markings anywhere on the barrel or parts
20200119_203922.jpg

I don't think it is a Colonial. His barrel looks to be about four inches. The grip does not look correct either. My Colonial has about seven inch barrel. But it is interesting.
4F7C6133-5CBA-48DF-BF4B-E80973399F2F.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like an old Dixie Gun Works Kit.

That's what we were thinking but couldn't find any information to back that. I'd like to at least find some instructions. I've never put one together before.

The barrel is 4", as someone mentioned, and the ID is .395".

It is an interesting kit. I think it is closer the the 50 years old estimate. I find the back action lock interesting along with a wedge to hold the barrel in. Most of those older kits used a simple pin. I would think a set of instructions for any of the older CVA/Jukar kits would get you close to what you need to do to assemble it. Shaping the grip and lock area will be the hardest part. Just look at similar pistols to try to get that right. Track of the Wolf would probably have a hammer that will work.

I got this kit from my father today, and he said he got it from his dad....so likely 40-50 years old.

There are no markings anywhere on the barrel or partsView attachment 22524
You have a Dixie "KIT 130" OVERCOAT PISTOL KIT.
On page 57 in the 1980 "TURNER KIRKLAND DIXIE GUNWORKS INC" catalog it shows a photo of the kit parts and on page 58 it describes the kit as follows:

This percussion pistol kit consists of everything that it takes to make a complete gun exactly like the Overcoat Pistol listed elsewhere. The walnut stock is contoured and inletted for the barrel, lock and trigger with very little wood to be removed for the final finish. All the metal parts are in the rough and will need some polishing. The barrel is 4 1/2" long and .39 caliber. Overall length is approximately 8".
The main feature of this kit is the fine quality derringer lock. I know you will have a lot of fun putting this kit together and then going out and shooting it. No instructions included. Shipping wt. 3 lbs.
Price........$23.50

Although the gun in the photo you provided looks like it does not have a walnut stock, it might have been the same gun offered a few years before or after the kit shown in the 1980 catalog.
The wood looks like it might be curly maple. If it is, your stock is better than walnut.

Back action lock and 40 caliber barrel rule out CVA and traditions. The Lincoln Derringer only came in 45 cal or 50 cal. I also don't think either CVA or Traditions ever sold any kit that crude. Most likely the Dixie overcoat or a similar kit.

Back