• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer a smoothbore over rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really hard to beat a rifle, now as it was then powder and lead are often in short supply and expensive. A medium bore rifle such as a .45 or .50 will handle most big game as well as small using half or less powder and shot. I eat plenty of grouse and even creek-pond ducks taken with head shots as well as countless squirrel over the years.

Hunt naked, the squirrels need a laugh, I prefer a rifle and a large bore one, I have a smooth bore use it sometimes, but more than likely find myself taking a rifle. As too the tree rats I use a .32 mountain rifle, clothed of course.

So, why do you shoot a smoothbore? Smoothbore only or do you still shoot rifles?

I've only taken deer with Trudy, my .54 rifle
I've never taken one with a modern rifle
I've taken 3 squirrels and a rabbit and a fox with Trudy.

My hunting buddy asked me when I took that third squirrel, all three of them on the same day and were by "barking" - shooting the branch beneath the squirrel (barking does "work" btw)..., my buddy asked me, "Hey Dave..., after that two-hundred and some odd grain lead ball goes through that small branch, killing the squirrel just above where it passes..., where does that ball come down?" 😳

So I switched to only taking squirrel with my tradegun, or my SxS caplock shotgun. I live in an area where when I hunt, if I kept shooting UP into trees with my .54 I was sooner or later going to drop a ball on somebody's car..., or worse, somebody.

It's best NOT to taunt Murphy and his law. 😉

LD

Real life scenario (on a different plane/different time) my first longarm was a 20 gauge shotgun so I could hunt most anything. My second longarm was a rifle for a more defined type of hunting (deer). The issue with today concerning muzzleloaders is that the easier things are tried first (talking generalities). Maybe a percussion cap of some sort. Then a flintlock in a rifle (for accuracy). Then a smoothbore as it is more challenging and the end of the frontier for most of us. Unless, of course, you move on to the matchlock or wheellock. I guess what I am saying here is that it appears most of us go back in time and get more and more primitive as we go.

I see no reason to prefer one over the other.
I have firearms ranging from a Hakenbusche to heavy bench. From touch hole fired to electronic ignition.
Each is different and enjoyable in it's own world. There is no reason why one would be enjoyed more (or less) than the next.
For SPECIFIC uses - of course I would pick one better suited to the task. I would never hunt white tail with a handgonne or target shoot at 300 yards with a smoothbore. I would also not dove hunt with a 58 cal rifle but have hunted dove with a Bess loaded with #7 shot.

Thats where some people disagree I guess. I get much more enjoyment out of shooting a rifle. I enjoy taking my time and trying to get my tightest groups. A shotgun just doesnt thrill me. Yes I have many shotguns, but they are tools to take game or to bust clay pigeons and dont offer me the same exhilaration as I get from shooting a rifle.

I do enjoy versatility, but I live in fairly open terrain here in Kansas. A rifle suits me better. Probably not the case for our fellow colonials. Love them both, prefer to reach out a little farther

I was reading a long 14 page thread on one of the reenacting forums today. A forum member somewhat jokingly accused other members of belonging to a "smoothbore cult". It got me thinking (never a good thing).

I bought my first smoothbore roughly 2 years ago. I really enjoy shooting it. I enjoy hunting with it. Prefer it to my rifles as a matter of fact. It just works well for the hunting I do. I can easily see over time my rifles being sold and being replaced by smoothbores. Other than waterfowl, I hardly use my modern unmentionable 12 guage. I just use my trade musket.

So, why do you shoot a smoothbore? Smoothbore only or do you still shoot rifles?
You either get it or you don’t I avoided smooth bores for years because of the misconception that they are not accurate then I shot one a 20g Tradegun and I was hooked. I now have 3 and there’s one more in the mail. I rarely shoot my rifles anymore. For me the ease of loading and cleaning are part of it. I’m officially hooked!

I just aquired ny first smoothbore flintlock musket about 2 weeks ago. It is a 16 gauge/.66 caliber, made by Larry Zornes of Jackson, Ohio. It is a Rogers Rangers model (essentially a Brown Bess carbine). I have not shot it yet. I wanted it so I would be able to shoot in smooth bore competition at Rendezvous and other Black Powder shooting events. I do plan to use it for pheasant hunting and other small game. I have yet to compare it to my muzzle loading rifles and modern guns because I have no experience with it at this time.

I enjoy shooting my T.O.W. northwest trade gun smooth bore. I like the fact I can cast r/b's for it from the same alloy I pour my unmentionable bullets from.
I also enjoy shooting rifles/both percussion and flint.
Pistols as well.
The variety keeps me interested in the sport. Not a hunter, just enjoy going to the range and making smoke, shooting in monthly postal matches like the one here in the forum.
But if I had to only keep one of them, it would be my smooth bore. Just so versatile.

Back