• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer a smoothbore over rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's digress for a second and talk about BP The 75-15-10 does not burn fast so more mixing and adjusting are necessary Drying samples for test was a problem But I found a night light in an aromatherapy oil burner was just the thing Dead safe and not too much heat drying a sample in half an hour This chemistry is great fun and interesting if you cannot get the real stuff I want it fast for flintlock ignition otherwise I could use 777

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 45
What is the recommended loading procedure for a .54 sighted smoothbore? I just traded for one at Friendship. Patch, wad, etc.

Sorry no idea I have been working on my new long rifle 39" barrel......it's a real1810-1820 bless lock this first in 1972 cost me £17 thus one was £220 on eBay uk.....bidggest problem is getting the wood , I ended up using oak, probably from China A bit of floor board quality maple was over £200 Working on two barrels both smooth bore for a .600" ball But I am lapping one .600" oval Lancaster style Being in the uk life here it is smooth bore shotguns old or new, unless you have a big farm or you are filthy rich....it seems with patch balls accuracy will be better than those old slugs in modern shotguns....I have rifled barrels on my machine and with a square twisted rod old school., Then I went to percussion with a .36 double others followed , like my .6" cape rifle , now at 78 it's just plain old flintlocks so much charisma. Just finished a double .600" smoothly with L&R locks. Love reading these forums from the other side of the pond in UK , it's reads like one big loving family I wish you well
Ps. I love big patch boxes for all my goodies. Ha ha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that a U.S. shooter would respond to my questions about recommended loading procedures for a sighted smooth bore for accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The loading procedure for a sighted smoothbore is no different than the sight in procedures for a sighted rifled bore. You will have to pay attention to your ball as it is matched to your bore.

You have choices.
1. Patched round ball. The patch should compress to allow the ball to fit the bore. If your patch compresses to 0.010", then you want a ball that is at least 0.020" smaller in diameter than the bore or loading will become extremely difficult.​
2. Used nested in a ball of tow. This is more compressible than a cloth patch and is easier to load.​
3. Bare ball. Use an over powder card, a ball nearly bore size and an over shot card to hold the ball in place.​
You will have to try all methods to determine which one works for you. This is not a one method works for everyone process.

Many Thanks, Grenadier. I’m using .530 in a .54 with .020 and a felt over powder wad. Just looking for advice. Powder is OE 3Fg. I’m about to try 2FG. Suggestions?

Many Thanks, Grenadier. I’m using .530 in a .54 with .020 and a felt over powder wad. Just looking for advice. Powder is OE 3Fg. I’m about to try 2FG. Suggestions?
Powder. Wads of thin cards or leather. Or felt hat. Get a wad punch larger than .54.
Drop a bare .530 down and put a card on top to keep it there.
Simples.

Ok Brit, I’ll try that for comparison and let you know. May try some hornet nest material as well. As soon as I find some friendly hornets.

I hunt with a patched ball, as I think it stays in the bore better moving in the field. As far as accuracy is concerned I group a little better with patch compared to wad at fifty yards but not enough to write home about.
I’ve not found an accuracy difference between two and three f. Only adjust the charge up about ten grains but I use two mostly just because
I shoot wads for shot and ball at the range and hunt with shot and never fear it will slip
Yes that contradicts what I said in my first sentence, and it’s just silly of me.
But it’s my three slashes in a pie crust thing, one to let the steam out and two cause mama did it that way
I know a wadded ball won’t slip, but when Bambi is a foot I run the patch
I’ve carried wadded balls on treks with out a problem

I like to know that it was me that missed the target. My 10 gauge for those who die to lead shot.

I was hoping that a U.S. shooter would respond to my questions about recommended loading procedures for a sighted smooth bore for accuracy.
I use a .600 rb from a lyman mold. Pillow ticking patch lubed with a ballistol/water mix. 80 grains of 3f and if the loose nut behind the buttplate does his part, it will hold 3-4 inch group at 50 yards.
Hope this helps.
Kevin

Many thanks for all the good load data on smoothbores. I’m all fired up to shoot it for groups and shall give a pet loads report soon.

Back