Do you need a persona?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

1dogdown

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Is a specific persona really necessary?If your just shooting at your local club.Out in your back forty.Or just visiting a rendezvous. But not participating. Do you worry if you have eastern mocs but your out west.Your trousers are from the 1830s not 1760 and so on.
Being in Wi.i more than likely would have to be a French explorer. But I just want to be a waunderer.You know wander from town to town.
Am I the only one who feels this way?Just want to smell smoke.Start a fire.Have a good time doing it.Without worrying if my fall front is right.Or my buttons are not correct.Want to look and act the part.Without looking like I stepped out of a museum.

deermanct

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunt with and shoot muzzleloaders. Never thought much about having a persona. My hunting wardrobe is mostly older military surplus.
A powder horn and ball bag that I made is probably the only " cool" factor items that I have.
To each their own but I'm just happy to be able to get out in the woods and hit the range once a week.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Any way you want to shoot is fine.
At most rendezvous folks will be seen in mixed or not to correct dress.
we are just boys and girls playing cowboys and Indians
Myself I take joy in trying to be correct, I ain’t always but try.
Cost counts, and there is a lot I would like to do but can’t afford and so I fudge.
Some times you just want to be comfortable.
Enjoy
If it ain’t fun it ain’t a hobby it’s a chore.

Last edited:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Look up our forum members Blackpowder TV, and Black powder maniac on You Tube.
TV has some very HC guns, but dresses like an old country boy.
Maniac dresses pretty modern with a off the rack riflemans shirt. Both are tuns of fun, and having tons of fun

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When you first start out it's just to see if you like it or not. When I tried it 30 or so years ago I just wore cheap white painters pants, a sort of accurate long hunters shirt and a blank hat with a wide bream. If you decide you do like it you get more into it. Now I have buckskins, waistcoats, great coats, knee pants, gaiters, leggings, cravats, shirts of many types, frocks, several hats.....you see where I'm going with this?
I need a whole closet just for my clothing............:doh:

1dogdown

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When you first start out it's just to see if you like it or not. When I tried it 30 or so years ago I just wore cheap white painters pants, a sort of accurate long hunters shirt and a blank hat with a wide bream. If you decide you do like it you get more into it. Now I have buckskins, waistcoats, great coats, knee pants, gaiters, leggings, cravats, shirts of many types, frocks, several hats.....you see where I'm going with this?
Yep I see it.Being retired on SS isn't all it's cracked up to be.So I'm taking my time.

ADK Bigfoot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have three "get-ups" based on the rendezvous; a 1750s gentleman, a 1760s common man, and a 1835 western traveler. With the first, I carry my fancy FdC, with the second I carry my Early Virginia rifle, and with the third I carry my cap lock Plains Rifle. My shoes range from buckle shoes to eastern mocs to plains mocs. My hat goes from a tricorn to a wide brimmed flop hat to a beaver top hat.

Have fun with it. Just don't "mix and match" so that you are 1750 from the waist down, 1800 from the waist up, and wear a cowboy hat!

Just my thoughts....

ADK Bigfoot

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Me too, and I look at all the outfits Dualist 54 has on his you tube channel and get jealous

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Is a specific persona really necessary?If your just shooting at your local club.Out in your back forty.Or just visiting a rendezvous. But not participating. Do you worry if you have eastern mocs but your out west.Your trousers are from the 1830s not 1760 and so on.
Being in Wi.i more than likely would have to be a French explorer. But I just want to be a waunderer.You know wander from town to town.
Am I the only one who feels this way?Just want to smell smoke.Start a fire.Have a good time doing it.Without worrying if my fall front is right.Or my buttons are not correct.Want to look and act the part.Without looking like I stepped out of a museum.
I never really developed a specific persona, I always did third person interpretation.

Banjoman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I plink and hunt with flintlock and percussion muzzleloaders almost exclusively. Some are historically correct, some ain’t. Some of my accouterments are historically correct, some ain’t.

I don’t go to rendezvous or participate in competitions but I do enjoy going to Martins Station every year to watch the raid and buy a few things. Wearing period correct clothing or having a persona is not for me, but I enjoy watching those who do.

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Depends on your goals and what you want out of all this.

The following is a post I wrote elsewhere in a thread about why one might want to gather some details about at least a basic outline of a persona.
I have not edited it (feeling too lazy) I just copied and pasted the whole thing,

"
First, full disclosure, I'm not one of the ones to go to for answers and evidence and I know it. I'm still just trying to get this whole living history/experiential archeology thing going for myself. There have been a lot of starts and stops.
Second, I don't have a full character persona, yet. Working on it.

I do what we do for myself, and mostly by myself. So, if I'm not doing reenacting at events, and similar public engagements, do I really need a persona? If yes, why?

I say, yes. At least a basic biographical outline.

The biggest reason in my mind is that it saves time and money in the long run by establishing guidelines or parameters. The basic outline of a person from the time and place you intend to represent and learn about can guide you through the hazards of choosing gear and clothing.
Whether you are a scout in 1755, a shopkeeper in 1774, a militiaman in 1777, or a settler in 1790, you are somewhere and you are of a certain age. And you came from somewhere. You would be of a certain economic status. This influences what you might wear or have for gear, a young volunteer from an average workman's household might have hand-me-downs and older gear,as might an older person of limited means. A younger more well-to-do person might have a new gun, and dress with more current fashion, a more established midlife person might have newer gear, but might have clothing made to an older style. ?maybe?
Who am I, what am I? Where am I from and when was I born? What year is it now (your persona's "now") and where am I?
And, does this article of clothing, piece of cooking gear, gun, shooting gear, or other piece of kit, I'm considering buying/making, fit the answers to those questions? This can save one money and aggravation. And keep you from accumulating a bunch of junk or a pile of stuff that doesn't fit your time and place.

Hopefully some of our more experienced and better studied members will chime in and expand on this. I felt focused and like I knew what I was trying to say when I started. I've lost that focus a bit. Sorry to ramble."

I wasn't interested in living history or "experimental/experiential archeology," when I started shooting black powder guns. Things change.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Is a specific persona really necessary? If your just shooting at your local club. Out in your back forty. Or just visiting a rendezvous. But not participating. Do you worry if you have eastern mocs but your out west. Your trousers are from the 1830s not 1760 and so on.
Nope, as a matter of fact if you just day trip to a Market Fair they usually, even when juried, only apply their standards to the "campers", and to a rondezvous, no you're fine.
Being in Wi. i more than likely would have to be a French explorer. But I just want to be a wanderer. You know wander from town to town.
So why do you think this?
You must have some historic time frame in mind, as I went to college in Milwaukee, and there are lots of folks there who aren't French explorers, eh? ;)
HEY you could be a French Jesuit! No? OK maybe not... 😆
Were there "wanderers" for the time period you have in your mind? Well there was John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed...
Am I the only one who feels this way? Just want to smell smoke. Start a fire. Have a good time doing it. Without worrying if my fall front is right. Or my buttons are not correct. Want to look and act the part. Without looking like I stepped out of a museum.
Well that's entirely up to you. YOU decided if what you're wearing allows you to "look and act the part".
You also choose where you want to participate. IF you do a solo trek, then there's no other standard to meet. IF you choose a much more stringent event, then you are choosing to pay more attention to detail. The key phrase is "you choose".

The question is, What experience do you seek as you pursue a black powder pastime?

It appears you simply wish for a time, to divest yourself of the stress of the modern day world. Hence, you want to separate yourself from that world by donning different clothing and equipment and participating in a different activity, but not to the point where you add stress by worrying about "buttons are not correct".
Nothing wrong with that.

Others want something different is all. They seek a glimpse, for that is all they can really attain, a glimpse of the world where the historic people trod. For a brief moment to feel "back in time". To round-out their understanding of history beyond people's names, places, and dates. So for these types of experiences folks go farther in depth; push the modern world farther away, as they try to ensure every sense, taste, smell, hearing, and touch and sight, are experiencing what was.

Of course the person who is "highly authentic" is never fully "authentic". For they cannot escape that they are the product of modern education, transportation, medicine, and communication. When the event is over they will drive home, using GPS on a Cell Phone or at least texting folks that they are "on the way home". They will probably buy food using a piece of plastic, and eat that food with teeth that have benefitted from modern dentistry, while they listen to a CD or the radio or an electronic playlist as they travel at ground speeds never known in the 18th century.

So in short, don't sweat it...

LD

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My persona is a grumpy, old man wandering the Tn hills shooting his gun…

D6C3195B-B8D8-44C6-B37C-179523680BD9.jpeg

Sometimes dressed in out dated clothing.👍

Like many others here, I try to be as hc/pc as possible.

Different venues have different rules…
Different strokes, for different folks.

The choice is yours…

Art Caputo

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
While I do try to keep my rifles and shooting accessories in a particular period, I have not carried things much further with clothing, etc. Being predominantly a lone hunter, field/range shooter, I’m normally found wearing blue jeans, tee or flannel shirts, and sneakers/boots.,,,circa 1967-2021.

Reaction score
Of course the person who is "highly authentic" is never fully "authentic". For they cannot escape that they are the product of modern education, transportation, medicine, and communication. When the event is over they will drive home, using GPS on a Cell Phone or at least texting folks that they are "on the way home". They will probably buy food using a piece of plastic, and eat that food with teeth that have benefitted from modern dentistry, while they listen to a CD or the radio or an electronic playlist as they travel at ground speeds never known in the 18th century.

So in short, don't sweat it...

LD
Correct again. Well said.

One reason I quit organized "reenacting" is due to the criticisms of fellow reenactors. Their outfits are "authentic" and mine seems to never measure up. I've been told many times about parts of my outfit not measuring up for various reasons.
The same thing happens in today's society too. For example...go to any Walmart in America. You will see a fellow walk in wearing a 3 piece suit and in front of him is a women wearing checkered pajamas.
Same happened back then too with clothing of that day.

I don't have a "custom" built long gun, I represent the common man using factory guns. I attend organized events, but show up in civilian clothing as a member of the public.
Simply saying....I do my own reenacting on video projects with one or two friends occasionally that doesn't care about what you have on.

Loyalist Dave...I couldn't agree with you more my friend.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Nah....don't worry about it. Years ago, I used to volunteer at a frontier fort. I had a whole story worked out, and never used it.

But that was for a museum. If you're just shooting at the club's range, plinking out in the back forty, or out on a Saturday for some squirrels, it isn't necessary. Most rendezvous that I've been to don't even bother to ask about one's persona.