Quantcast

Do you live near any battlefields?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

longun

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
1/2 an hour away from Gettysburg & Antietam, Monocacy & South Mountain battlefield in my back yard

Catoctin Furnace from the Revolutionary war just up the road

IL Rifle

32 Cal
Reaction score
Blackhawk Country--North Central Illinois
I live in the old Northwest Territory and three miles from the site of Stillman’s Run, the first battle of the Black Hawk War. The twelve militia killed in the engagement are buried in the local cemetery. And, yes, there is a monument to them in that cemetery also. The local junior high school is just 300 yards from the site. Part of the site is still a private farm field along Stillman Creek. In the late 1800s a railroad bed was built through much of the site so there are no museums and you have to know where the engagement site is.

One time, maybe 20 years ago, when I was at the Smithsonian American History museum I came across a display on the Black Hawk War. Black Hawk’s journal was on display and opened to his description on the Battle of Stillman’s Run. It was awe inspiring to read his very well written description (Black Hawk was clearly very well educated) and realize that even though we think our area doesn’t have the concentration of historic sites as in the East, we do have our moments.

No one really knows what arms either the militia or Black Hawk’s people had, probably trade guns for Black Hawk’s people and what ever the family brought with them from back East for the militia.

Boommeup

32 Cal
Reaction score
Listened to the NMLA podcast this morning about the Battle of Fallin Timbers. All about mad Antony Wayne and the Indian wars up and down the Maumee river from Fort Wayne Indiana to Maumee Ohio. Very interesting history just thirty miles up the road!

nchawkeye

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I live about 30 minutes south of Greensboro (Guilford Courthouse) and have been there many times...

I have also been to Kings Mountain, Cowpens and a little know battle called at Lindleys Mill, David Fanning lived nearby and also participated in a skirmish at House in the Horseshoe...All of these are Revolutionary War battle sites...

Whitworth

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
Digging bullets and shell fragments from the Battle of Maryland Heights, Sept.14th 1862 (think Harper's Ferry National Park) on my little bit of Heaven here on Elk Ridge includes me I guess. My spring area has yielded many relics from camps by both sides. Metal detecting season starts in earnest after the first frost :) With Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg (Antietam) only spitting distance away the area the was crisscrossed by troops. Across narrow Pleasant Valley, formed by Elk Ridge with South Mountain is the South Mountain Battlefield area. Turner's Gap (Boonsboro),Fox's Gap, Crampton's Gap (Burkittsville) and Brownsville Pass make up the Battles of South Mountain. Battles were fought over these passes in the days preceding the battle at Sharpsburg on Sept 17, 1862. Went to school with kids who lived on the farms with names right out of the history books about Sharpsburg. Sobering to think that a fellow wouldn't have wanted to be standing in my yard that September day, 1862.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in RHODE ISLAND , one mile give or take of where THE GREAT SWAMP FIGHT / MASSACRE took place on DEC. 16TH. 1675.when the NARRAGANSETT'S were killed by troupes from the MASSACHUSETTS BAY COLONY, led by REVEREND /CAPTAIN BENJAMIN CHURCH, with a BIBLE in one hand and a PISTOL in the other., doing GOD'S WORK. CHIEF KING PHILIP was killed and his family sold into slavery.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
An hour south of Gettysburg and 1.5 hours east of Antietam
We must be neighbors. I'm down in Severn now.

I grew up a mile from Shy's Hill in Nashville, where there is still remnants of a Union artillery ring. I lived in Alexandria, VA for 3 years, so that was near all sorts of ACW battlefields and skirmish sites. And now not too far from Antietam and Gettysburg, as noted above.

leverfred

45, 45, 32 ,32 & 40
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My land in WVA was crossed several times and camped on from the Revolutionary war to the Cival War. Universities have asked permission to do some archaeological digs and gave them permission a few years ago. It is just north of Lewisburg.

oreclan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live half way between Fort Necessity and Fort Pitt, and between Redstone, Pa., and Fort Henry (Wheeling, WV.). Catfish Camp is my home!

Realwarrior

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I live on the First Frontier of Kentucky. I live within a couple of hours drive of several Frontier Stations and really close to some of the longHunter Station Camps as well as 45 minutes from 4 Civil War sites

mikeinpa

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Valley Forge, Brandywine, Washington's crossing all about 30 mins away. Not a battlefield but Fries Rebellion took place about 10 mins from my house.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I live about 30 minutes from the Andersonville Civil War Prison. About 45 minutes to the West of me, across the “Hooch” into Alabama is the Ft. Mitchell War of 1812 Battlefield. 2 hours North is Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield. That one is unique because original earthworks are still there. Another hour North is Chickamauga (spelling?). I wish I lived much closer to it. The firearms collection in that museum is the most extensive I have ever seen and that includes having spent much time in the Fort Benning Infantry Museum, here.
Live in marietta ga. Can see kennesaw mtn. Been to andersonville, chicamauga, allatoona pass, resaca and lived on property that had calvary on it during the battle of noonday creek. Part of the battle of kennesaw mtn that started battle of atlanta. Have earthworks on our property and granddaughter has found shot minis on it. Shot minis were flat on one side indicating to me shot and hit something. Seen the little general from the disney movie the great train race, actual event here. Lots to do and see.

Jaegermeister

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Civil War Battle of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Never heard of it? Probably not. My home town and Rush Limbaugh’s too. Confederates tried to push up into Missouri from Arkansas but got their asses whooped. Mainly an artillery duel. We still have remnants of the forts around town.It’s about 60 miles north from the battle at New Madrid, Island #10. Mississippi River gunboats spanked the rebels there.

Latest posts